Internet banking change.

On 1/24/2023 at 11:39 AM, bradiston said:

Mobile phones are the way to go! How do you stay in touch when you're away from your laptop? How do you compare prices for instance? Find places? Read messages/emails.

Never had to do any of this in the past and don't intend to now. I can do all of this of my laptop before I go to the pub - Oh I never do that either!

• Thumbs Up 1

The Bangkok Bank app is ok. It also works on WiFi and if I remember right, also when the VPN is on. What I resent about such "progress" is that you are left high and dry until you manage to switch to the new system.

9 hours ago, fdsa said:

MY bar girl is different! MY smartphone is secure!

chinese_smartphones_data_leak1.png.a7dd1e2c1d7626f43445be865e664f4d.png

chinese_smartphones_data_leak2.png.8026b83578478b4984ded46c74b9e605.png

chinese_smartphones_data_leak3.png.6fb83d4d0521f6bf7be48d033c4e4cee.png

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2302.01890.pdf

From the above linked pdf, it should be noted that

"In this work we study the Chinese version of the Android OS distributions run by Xiaomi, Realme, and OnePlus handsets. We measure the network traffic the handsets generate when in-use by a
privacy-aware consumer. We find that these devices come bundled with a number of third-party applications, some of which are
granted dangerous runtime permissions by default without user
consent, and transmit traffic containing a broad range of geolocation, user-profile and social relationships PII to both phone vendors
and third-party domains, without notifying the user or offering the
choice to opt-out. In contrast, the data shared by the Global version
of the firmware is mostly limited to device-specific information.
Our study therefore highlights major differences in terms of how
privacy provisions are enforced in different regions."

In addition the study is dated 2017 and concerns Android 11. All the same, a disturbing portrait of mobile phone "security". Seems a mobile phone can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 4:27 AM, bradiston said:

In addition the study is dated 2017 and concerns Android 11.

That doesn't seem to make sense as Android 11 did not ship until 2020 earliest? 

I stress I have not read the report in detail. However none of it surprises me as I ended up rooting my Xiaomi Redmi in 2020 after only 3 months due to the amount of <deleted> on it and the traffic that I could not stop.

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Embracing tech won’t get you anywhere in this thread mate ????

Aye yer right there, work of the Devil that stuff. Now can I get back to sorting my 33's and 45's in to chronological order?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tubber said:

Aye yer right there, work of the Devil that stuff. Now can I get back to sorting my 33's and 45's in to chronological order?

33?  Missed out on that shorthand in small town USA?  33 and a third was how I always referred to the LP's which replaced these:

Tinfoil.com - Early Recorded Sounds & Wax Cylinders

• Like 1

4 hours ago, topt said:

That doesn't seem to make sense as Android 11 did not ship until 2020 earliest? 

I stress I have not read the report in detail. However none of it surprises me as I ended up rooting my Xiaomi Redmi in 2020 after only 3 months due to the amount of <deleted> on it and the traffic that I could not stop.

I wondered about that too but couldn't remember the release dates. The report  has 2 date stamps. The page headers read "Conference’17, July 2017, Washington, DC, USA", but the document is marked "arXiv:2302.01890v1 [cs.CR] 3 Feb 2023".

11 hours ago, fdsa said:

add DTAC to the list of bs companies.

I read your posts with interest BUT as far as IT (including mobiles)  is concerned the watchword should NOT be "innocent until proven guilty" BUT "Guilty until proven innocent" That's the safest way to deal with all tech companies.

Now that we are venting about Thai apps and web sites:

Something I hate is that both apps and web sites love to present a “welcome banner”, for example a tribute to the King or an ad for some of their other services, that I always have to click through.

Many of the web sites require me to enter a CAPTCHA in addition to username and password, even for something like online 90 day reporting, I have to enter a CAPTCHA, I have no idea what the thinking is behind this extra obstacle, but it seems quite widespread.

And then the flashing banners in the apps! They love to spend 10% of the screen space to promote some of their other services, often with animation.

Even using the Provincial Electricity Company’s app (PEA+) does this, first I have to enter PIN (as if my electricity bill is sensitive information), then I have to dismiss a full screen add for their e-Bill service (I already have it set up with automatic debit!), and then while using the app, the bottom part cycles through various banners for what looks like a branded debit card, etc.

Opening the KTB next app to “Scan&Go” also starts by showing me a full screen add for some sort of shopping card, which I have to dismiss, before I can select what I actually want to do in the app.

As someone who cares about clean interfaces and “productivity”, I find these things quite infuriating.

Thanks for reading my rant… ????

Edited by lkn
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

33?  Missed out on that shorthand in small town USA?  33 and a third was how I always referred to the LP's which replaced these:

Tinfoil.com - Early Recorded Sounds & Wax Cylinders

It may have been a small town USA thing or perhaps you are maybe a little older................
From Vinyl Engine
image.png.c1e4bfb5adff926f06266222b322ab59.png

13 minutes ago, tubber said:

It may have been a small town USA thing or perhaps you are maybe a little older................
From Vinyl Engine
image.png.c1e4bfb5adff926f06266222b322ab59.png

A bit long in the tooth I am I am - but only heard 16 - 33 1/3 and 45 RPM speeds during my youth.  Never heard 33 mentioned.  Social media shorthand was not the norm and anyone using such would likely feel the wrath of both teachers and parents.  I as a (fairly) good boy.  ????

On 1/24/2023 at 12:06 PM, owl sees all said:

Perhaps this is how they will all go before long.

But I'm gonna visit Kasikorn and inquire. I don't like or trust the 'smart phones' or 'apps'.

Good ideas!

1. Use ATM
2. Go to Bank

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

A bit long in the tooth I am I am - but only heard 16 - 33 1/3 and 45 RPM speeds during my youth.  Never heard 33 mentioned.  Social media shorthand was not the norm and anyone using such would likely feel the wrath of both teachers and parents.  I as a (fairly) good boy.  ????

Completely agree with social media shorthand. Nothing is more annoying than those initialisms and acronyms they use these days. On adjustable speed record players it was written as "33" so I feel it was somewhat warranted. 

Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 10.18.43.png

8 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Ah, you are a youngster. 78 was the standard in my youth.

Never actually had 78's as family bought RCA 45 player when they came out in 49.  Relatives did have shellac but I was not allowed to touch.  Did have couple cylinder players recovered from attics before the 45 and built Hi-Fi system (with help of father) about a year later (home built University corner enclosure with Norelco multi speaker and Garrard changer with Olson Radio mail order mono amplifier).  Yeh - we are old.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:00 PM, Negita43 said:

Why would anybody click on something they don't know the meaning of.

Come to that why would anybody click on those tantalising email notifications from someone they dont know.  IT seems to have engendered a cavalier attitude to being careful.

Do I trust IT - NO - do I use it YES BUT

So you are able to look at an qr code ans tell what thy say?

I'm very impressed.

Millions of people use QR codes every day, You need to teach them 

4 hours ago, bokningar said:

So you are able to look at an qr code ans tell what thy say?

I'm very impressed.

Millions of people use QR codes every day, You need to teach them 

Point your phone running a scanner app at them and it'll tell you what they say.  Here's an example for you:

image.png.2b34fec8f0b7c480ef48ebafffac9013.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

I think scb will do the same soon. I logged into their crappy excuse for a website the other night and noticed it now suggests using the app

It's all part of Thailand 4.0 so inevitably all the banks will do it.