White Bread. Unhealthy To Eat?

NoshowJones

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Bread usually is not the problem, as it's simply a conveyance of what you put on it, which usually is the problem.

The opposite. What you put on it, if low glycemic, is no problem until the conveyance is added to it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Eating 'some' white bread will probably knock about 20 minutes off your life expectancy - rather depends where and what you want to do with the extra 20 minutes

Or it could contribute to 30 years of insulin dependency before you reach that 20 minutes.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

What year is this?  1980?

Next thread:   Is tomato a fruit?   

What about bananas? Thought I'd come straight to the source, Mr BananaStrong

Edited by NumbNut
  • Haha 1

Wholemeal, also rye instead of wheat, would be better. 
Even freshly baked over toast bread (that one is poor quality, has many preservatives). 
Still, all not sweet bakeries, are better than white rice (the black one is not popular, and hence expensive).

I treat bread rather as an emergency than part of a regular daily diet and buy it only occasionally, when shopping every few weeks at makro or if visiting continental bakery run by friend. So I would freeze or dry it, to be used, when not enough vegetables, many of which also have carbohydrates. Dry bread can be soften in rice cooker, on top of boiled rice, I would sprinkle with some water. 

• Like 1

A lot of the bread you buy here is full of god knows what preservatives to prolong its shelf life in the heat. I find that more worrying than other considerations. Consequently I bake my own bread ( 2 loaves once a fortnight ) with a mix of standard white flour and 100% whole wheat on a ratio of 4/1.

I also throw in three tablespoons of black sesame seeds , pumpkin kernels and sunflower kernels.

Delicious and more healthy than anything big C et al have to offer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

A lot of the bread you buy here is full of god knows what preservatives to prolong its shelf life in the heat. I find that more worrying than other considerations. Consequently I bake my own bread ( 2 loaves once a fortnight ) with a mix of standard white flour and 100% whole wheat on a ratio of 4/1.

I also throw in three tablespoons of black sesame seeds , pumpkin kernels and sunflower kernels.

Delicious and more healthy than anything big C et al have to offer.

I bought some whole grain bread at the supermarket in Central Festival mall in Pattaya. 130 baht for a small loaf. I believe they bake them on the premises so hopefully won't be full of preservatives.

17 hours ago, BigStar said:

No. The usual tests (FBS, HbA1c) aren't entirely accurate. Better: oral glucose tolerance test.

You may, and probably do if you've just followed the crowd, have insulin resistance doing damage with no obvious indications, and it well may, owing to all the insulin spikes, eventually develop into pre-diabetes--to be avoided.

Eat more carbs you'll feel happier

21 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

For taste, I prefer white bread to wheat bread although I know white bread has more calories. As I do not have a weight problem and not looking to lose weight, I eat four slices a white bread every day. 

Can this do any harm to my general health?

Well white bread, rice etc are high carbohydrates, and the minute they enter your stomach they turn into sugar something to watch if you don't want to end up diabetic. They do say that multi grains are the best of a bad bunch.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JWRC said:

Well white bread, rice etc are high carbohydrates, and the minute they enter your stomach they turn into sugar something to watch if you don't want to end up diabetic. They do say that multi grains are the best of a bad bunch.

If bread was unhealthy, I'd be dead a lot time ago.

As always ... moderation:

"Glucose – this is one of the most important forms of sugar used by the body for energy. All other carbohydrates (including other sugars) are converted into glucose during the digestion of food. Glucose is naturally found in some fruits and vegetables and the nectar or sap of plants."

"Whilst our bodies need energy from carbohydrates, fats and proteins for normal functioning, it's important to consider the energy we get from all sources so we can achieve a balanced diet.

Exceptions

The most notable exception to the carbohydrate metabolism explained above is dietary fibre. Dietary fibre – a type of polysaccharide, can be classed as either soluble [dissolves in water] or insoluble [cannot be dissolved in water].  The body cannot digest or absorb dietary fibre like other carbohydrates. Instead, a portion is fermented by colonic gut bacteria. As a result, it passes relatively untouched through the digestive system and is removed in stools."

https://www.sugarnutritionresource.org/the-basics/digestion-absorption-of-sugar

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

"Glucose – this is one of the most important forms of sugar used by the body for energy. All other carbohydrates (including other sugars) are converted into glucose during the digestion of food. Glucose is naturally found in some fruits and vegetables and the nectar or sap of plants."

"Whilst our bodies need energy from carbohydrates, fats and proteins for normal functioning, it's important to consider the energy we get from all sources so we can achieve a balanced diet.

Exceptions

The most notable exception to the carbohydrate metabolism explained above is dietary fibre. Dietary fibre – a type of polysaccharide, can be classed as either soluble [dissolves in water] or insoluble [cannot be dissolved in water].  The body cannot digest or absorb dietary fibre like other carbohydrates. Instead, a portion is fermented by colonic gut bacteria. As a result, it passes relatively untouched through the digestive system and is removed in stools."

Interestingly the brain uses 20% of our energy requirement, which is glucose. Maybe some people require less

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

. . .

"The Sugar Nutrition Resource Centre, originally the Sugar Research Advisory Service, is funded by Sugar Australia and New Zealand Sugar. "

Hee hee. But nothing in the above suggests eating white bread is a good idea. Must achieve a balanced diet? By whose definition. OH--the lobbyist-funded Food Pyramid.????

And brown isn't doing you much better. Brown bread is sorta the filtered cigarette version of white.

image.png.f8633c1d2b368eb6e340748ce9874d97.png

Insulin resistance may be behind one's great attraction to high glycemic foods. Keep insulin levels consistently low and it goes away. 

Edited by BigStar

12 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's not nearly as unhealthy as people make out.

Got a link to the science for that? There's a plethora of evidence already been posted in this thread which you seem to be ignoring. Are you going to just troll or will you make a cogent argument in good faith?

Most of the posters here are trying to assist the OP with some science based evidence which is overwhelmingly opposed to your claim.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/reasons-skip-white-bread-good/

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

The George Burns Hail Mary is first among the Principles of ANF Poster Longevity Science. Smoke, drink, eat whatever you want. Take your meds (as you do), suffer chronic diseases early, have a short but happy life and die suddenly with a smile on your face during a bonk. You've lived the dream.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Moderate heroin, LOL.

It was only after i STOPPED eating the heart healthy whole grains and omega 6 oils in moderation that I was able to moderate my eating of everything else. Once my insulin levels and IR dropped into normal range so did my appetite.

—https://www.dietdoctor.com/why-everything-in-moderation-is-terrible-diet-advice

Why not just substitute more nutritionally efficient foods for all the starch and sugars anyway and be done with them?

image.thumb.png.c7e2162612ae65bfcb469aad159a7d52.png

As for moderation in general, the principle of moderation (also beloved by ANF Nutritionists) tends not to work so well either, akin to “push away from the table.”  “A Little Bite Won’t Hurt”: The Failure of Moderation

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Eating 'some' white bread will probably knock about 20 minutes off your life expectancy - rather depends where and what you want to do with the extra 20 minutes

By the amount of Mother's Pride I have eaten since childhood, I should be dead 10 years ago then. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Got a link to the science for that? There's a plethora of evidence already been posted in this thread which you seem to be ignoring. Are you going to just troll or will you make a cogent argument in good faith?

Most of the posters here are trying to assist the OP with some science based evidence which is overwhelmingly opposed to your claim.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/reasons-skip-white-bread-good/

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with white bread in appropriate servings. My sister in law is a diabetic- she eats a slice or two a day as far as I can recall.  The only deficit of white bread over brown bread is that it is low in fiber, in other respects it is actually quite nutritious.

Obviously, if anyone has an intolerance to wheat it should be avoided.  Not much food commonly available is either that bad or good for us- it's all about frequency and serving size. And yes, sugar is not harmful either in sensible amounts.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'll give you some science, my parents are 87 and both been eating white bread forever, not fat, not obese, been healthy, more bad news for the carb phobics. More important things to worry about than white bread

That's "anecdote" not "science".

• Thumbs Up 1

along the same line why is it that Thais all seem to eat white rice but little if any brown rice?  it seems that brown rice would be cheaper as not as much milling required...plus it is said to be healthier and to me it sure tastes better....so why so much white in Thailand?  Never understood that.

• Thumbs Up 1

My bread has 500gr of Bread Flour & 350gr water = 850gr

10gr salt, 10gr yeast.  Will ignore those 2.

Made a sandwich earlier, slicing a 67gr slice of bread (my 1 serving size) from my loaf, cut that in half, for 2 slices, as 2x longer than wider.   (curious, so I weighed it)  Half fit a standard slice of Am Cheese, almost perfect.  2 Slices of that cheese & some ham (bacon smoked ham) for quick snack or late lunch.  Since my first meal, is around 11-12 noon.

59% of those 67gr was bread flour, shy of 40gr, and from nutritional chart below, means I consumed <30% of the nutrition, good or bad, from that chart.

Not exactly the most unhealthy part of that sandwich.  My body also needs the fat & cholesterol in the cheese, or it will make it's one, and not always good.

Along with the protein & nitrates in the ham, which the body will also make it's own nitrates, actually way more than we ingest anyway.

Balance that with my heart friendly breakfast bowl of corn flakes, oats, raisins, almond slivers & blueberries w/milk.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/13-foods-that-lower-cholesterol-levels#TOC_TITLE_HDR_12

Dinner ... undecided.

image.png.154308616b986123ea3d868116591021.png

Edited by KhunLA

36 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

That's "anecdote" not "science".

There's too much focus on the wrong subject like white vs wholemeal and BTW probably there's more links to science and youtube videos than ever before but the world has never been fatter and unhealthier

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1