White Bread. Unhealthy To Eat?

NoshowJones

18 hours ago, save the frogs said:

white flour releases dopamine in the brain, so it's a kind of drug.

that's why most people are addicted and will never give it up.

good luck if you live to 162 and never get fat eating bread every day. 

What is in WHITE flour which is not in the BROWN/WHOLEMEAL flour from which it is made please?

21 hours ago, BigStar said:

Reminds me of

Yummy yummy yummy

I got love in my tummy.

Never cared for that bubble gum music. Like @ozimoronI grew up. Unlike yourself, just being fed that junk, my definition of yummy changed soon as I became a man able to feed myself.

Oops, I did it again. Knickers twisting time.

image.png.234be14f9ea5bd08a24b9eb3b608688c.png

Yummy to the last bite, just didn't miss your white bread, mandatory potatoes, Yorkshire pudding ????, fries in the least. Believe it or not.

That slab of dead cow cannot be any more healthy than a cheese butty!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/25/2023 at 4:58 PM, scubascuba3 said:

White rice is cheaper that's the reason, i asked a restaurant why they only serve white, never brown or other varieties, simply they need to sell the cheapest hence why brown jasmine etc is impossible to find unless you buy in a shop or market

Yes it is cheaper but is it  because the supply of white rice is much more than brown.  I lived in the rice paddies for several years and watched the planting and harvesting.  I used to think that white rice and brown rice are two different plants but learned it is the same plant.  The difference is white rice requires milling to remove the bran which is actually healthier while brown rice does not...so why over the decades did Thais decide to go for the rice that requires more not less work to produce?  Why did they not just stick with the brown rice and skip the extra expense of milling?  Somebody must have somehow somewhere convinced Thais to go the white rice route.....that is what i do not understand.  

In short, brown and white rice are the same grain, just milled differently. Brown rice still has the bran. They're both harvested at the same time, but if you remove the bran, you have white rice.

Edited by pomchop
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 4:59 PM, scubascuba3 said:

A few months ago i read about a study where a small group of men were told to eat 4-6 extra slices of bread a day, all lost weight, why? because they were more full which meant they didn't need to eat junk, crisps, chocolate, cakes, ice cream etc

so the bread had nothing to do directly with the result?  Sounds to me like the "study" was designed poorly.

11 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Somebody must have somehow somewhere convinced Thais to go the white rice route.....that is what i do not understand.

A very powerful force called Mr. Taste  and his accomplice Mr. Aroma made Thais an offer they couldn't resist.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

A very powerful force called Mr. Taste  and his accomplice Mr. Aroma made Thais an offer they couldn't resist.

I guess but I personally think both the taste and aroma of brown rice is superior to white rice not to mention it is healthier and requires less processing. 

I do not claim to be an expert on Thai food tastes...maybe white rices mix better with all the chilie peppers and variety of sauces they use?

The hulls of the grain cause it to spoil faster

white rice and white flour is milled to improve shelf stability

which is why it is less expensive. and ubiquitous

9 minutes ago, pomchop said:

I do not claim to be an expert on Thai food tastes...maybe white rices mix better with all the chilie peppers and variety of sauces they use?

35 minutes ago, pomchop said:

Why did they not just stick with the brown rice and skip the extra expense of milling?  Somebody must have somehow somewhere convinced Thais to go the white rice route.....that is what i do not understand. 

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yesterday i saw 3 really fat expats on Pattaya darkside, guts really big, an unhealthy lifestyle of beer and expat food likely the reason,  i doubt bread had anything to do with it

I have bad news for you.

The Germans refer to beer as 'liquid bread'.

So you're blaming beer for big guts? And "expat food" as though bread has nothing to do with it? 

https://www.grapefrute.com/renowned-around-the-world-german-beer/#:~:text=In Germany%2C beer is both,beer is produced in Bavaria.

In Germany, beer is both a beverage and a food: they call it “liquid bread” or Flüssiges Brot. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I have bad news for you.

The Germans refer to beer as 'liquid bread'.

So you're blaming beer for big guts? And "expat food" as though bread has nothing to do with it? 

https://www.grapefrute.com/renowned-around-the-world-german-beer/#:~:text=In Germany%2C beer is both,beer is produced in Bavaria.

In Germany, beer is both a beverage and a food: they call it “liquid bread” or Flüssiges Brot. 

Yeah drinking too much makes you fat, who knew. I must eat at least 4 thick slices of white bread a day, still fit and lean. I like to carb up as i exercise a fair amount

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, pomchop said:

I guess but I personally think both the taste and aroma of brown rice is superior to white rice not to mention it is healthier and requires less processing. 

I also prefer brown rice, i have brown jasmine rice at home, just seems better than bland white rice, but when out it's white rice, no choice. The important thing is to eat enough of either so you're full

I have eaten brown rice for years. Have wondered too why it is not more widespread. You would think in tougher times, say Thailand 50 years ago, they would have eaten the more healthy and nutritious option that presumably would be easier and cheaper to make .. but no. My ex thai wife would never eat it but she tried it recently and loved it. But then went back to white rice. 

Aldi here has an excellent dark bread that hits the spot though it goes mouldy fairly fast which is a good sign, I suppose, that it is natural. Eating white bread is like eating cake after a decent healthy bread.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

2 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I have eaten brown rice for years. Have wondered too why it is not more widespread. You would think in tougher times, say Thailand 50 years ago, they would have eaten the more healthy and nutritious option that presumably would be easier and cheaper to make .. but no. My ex thai wife would never eat it but she tried it recently and loved it. But then went back to white rice.

FYI:

https://www.drlizcarter.com/please-stop-eating-brown-rice/

Please Stop Eating Brown Rice

Brown rice is high in harsh, irritating insoluble fiber. White rice is not.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, save the frogs said:

FYI:

https://www.drlizcarter.com/please-stop-eating-brown-rice/

Please Stop Eating Brown Rice

Brown rice is high in harsh, irritating insoluble fiber. White rice is not.

Interesting thanks. She is a bit on her own it seems in terms of her strong negativity but it took me to google which seemed to indicate moderation of brown rice may be better. According to her I need a new rice cooker too. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

That claim has been debunked by an actual link, a thing you continue to refuse to produce.

Diabetes is an epidemic and more people are asking for help with the disease on this forum so your claims that white bread doesn't cause harm is irresponsible.

Diabetes is caused mainly by the western diet, fatty junk, not carbs alone. Do a search on drmcdougall.com and you'll find everything you need or look on his youtube channel, I'm not doing it for you

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Diabetes is caused mainly by the western diet, fatty junk, not carbs alone. Do a search on drmcdougall.com and you'll find everything you need or look on his youtube channel, I'm not doing it for you

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/vegan-island/

We had joined a group of 125 headed by Dr. John McDougall ....

The lecture would adjourn and everyone would line up for the buffet line which would, at virtually every meal, include copious amounts of breads and rolls, rice, potatoes, pasta, beans, some anemic-looking steamed vegetables and a romaine-only lettuce salad. No dressings allowed.

I watched at every meal as overweight, unhealthy people piled their plates with at least two pounds of bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, beans, desert cake, and a glass of fruit juice. Sometimes they went back for more. By my calculations these people were consuming 200 to 300 or more grams of (mostly simple) carbohydrates at each of three meals. There was no way these folks were going to lose fat on this trip. It was, in my view, a type 2 diabetes epidemic in-the-making.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

sorry, dunno.

Basically just less nutritious, due to processing removing more fiber.

"Most flour comes from hard red wheat berries; all-purpose (white) flour is made with only the endosperm, so it has a lower nutritional value. Whole-wheat flour is made from ground hard red wheat berries and uses every part; the wheat germ and bran give the flour a darker color and a higher nutritional worth."

https://www.myrecipes.com/ingredients/whole-wheat-vs-white-whole-wheat-flour#:~:text=Most flour comes from hard,and a higher nutritional worth.

"Is white flour and wheat flour the same?

One key difference between whole wheat flour and plain white flour is the fibre content. Whole wheat flour naturally contains the level of fibre found in wheat. Plain white flour on the other hand, has been stripped away of all of the fibre in wheat during the white flour production process."

https://cotswoldflour.com/blogs/news/whole-wheat-flour-vs-plain-flour-5-differences-every-baker-must-know

IMHO ... bread and or sugar, carbs, may contribute to, but certainly doesn't cause diabetes.  Or I would have had years ago.   I eat / ate a lot of bread, and pastries everyday.  And yes, always told my blood sugar is a little high, but after 60 years of dietary abuse, still not diabetic.

I have cut way back, but only because I don't burn it off like I used to.  That includes cutting back on everything, with few exceptions.

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The bread directly lead to them being more full so less or no snacking, thought that was clear

Leads to an insulin spike telling them they're full. It soon drops, as it does with you, and then they need another fix. It's how average people get fat and unhealthy.

• Thumbs Up 1