Germany set to send Leopard 2 tanks to Ukraine, Der Spiegel reports

Scott

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If the Russians captured any Americans "aiding" the Ukrainians in the war zone IMO they have every right to assume the US is actually involved on the ground.

By only sending weapons the west can maintain that they are not combatants.

One workaround is to have Ukraine directly hire civilian experts.  Of course the money would be funneled from the west into Ukraine. I just can’t see the Ukrainians effectively deploy advanced tanks into battle without direct assistance from western experts.  Now some are talking about F-16’s to Ukraine?  Really, the only way for an F-16 to conduct combat missions would be to have former western military pilots fly them.  What is the average flight hours for an experienced F-16 pilot to deploy to an actual combat zone?  1000, 2000 or more.  It appears “symbolism” means more than actual capabilities?  Just my thoughts as an old man who was once a soldier a long time ago.  Not every soldier is capable of going to war.  Training and simulations mean nothing when actual bullets are flying.  Some freeze and some excel.  No no knows how one will perform under real life stress.  This applies to any profession.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I read that Ukraine is already asking for fighter jets. What's next, ballistic missiles? - Maybe just a question of time till the West/NATO gets directly involved.

I remember when Hitler asked the Germans "Wollt ihr den totalen Krieg / Do you want total war". Enough idiots were fascinated and shouted "Yes". I am afraid there are still enough idiots out there... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If the Russians captured any Americans "aiding" the Ukrainians in the war zone IMO they have every right to assume the US is actually involved on the ground.

You mean "Americans that are active members of the US military or US intelligence".

Because AFAIK, some American volunteers fighting for Ukraine have already been killed by Russia.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

One workaround is to have Ukraine directly hire civilian experts.  Of course the money would be funneled from the west into Ukraine. I just can’t see the Ukrainians effectively deploy advanced tanks into battle without direct assistance from western experts.  Now some are talking about F-16’s to Ukraine?  Really, the only way for an F-16 to conduct combat missions would be to have former western military pilots fly them.  What is the average flight hours for an experienced F-16 pilot to deploy to an actual combat zone?  1000, 2000 or more.  It appears “symbolism” means more than actual capabilities?  Just my thoughts as an old man who was once a soldier a long time ago.  Not every soldier is capable of going to war.  Training and simulations mean nothing when actual bullets are flying.  Some freeze and some excel.  No no knows how one will perform under real life stress.  This applies to any profession.  

nope.

experienced fighter jet pilots can convert to another plane in just about 6 weeks.

training has started already.

14 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Well we do know that Ukraine fighter pilots have been in the US for sometime already training on western jets. The funding by the US had been approved back in July. “Our military pilots went to the United States, funds were allocated for their training,” 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Venom said:

The same as the rest of us, nuclear Armageddon and the end of humanity. But you're a tough cookie so you and your family will be okay. Don't worry. 

Ok question.

In nuclear warfare or armageddon as you put it, it takes 2 to tango.

Russia launches a nuke......where? what's the target? In Ukraine I would assume, and also assuming they are functional 

So who retaliates with a second nuclear launch? or counterlaunch,  Ukraine doesn't have any

The US isn't going to launch neither would the UK or France

China has stated to Russia to not even think about it.

So where is the world shattering end of humanity coming from?

Their has been over 2000 nuclear tests preformed by numerous countries since WW2, 528 in the atmosphere

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/nucleartesttally

We're still here

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

The benefit of having served is that one actually understands things like "training" and "logistics".

the tanks are a good thing of course, but Ukrainians must remember that tanks are relatively fragile and exposed to ATGM. They need to make sure the Leopards with be used correctly.

Also, I'm slightly worried about Ruzzians having been trained to kill MBTs, and equipped to kill MBTs as per Warsaw Pact tactics. In theory, killing MBTs, especially Western MBT, is something Ruzzian troops have been equipped and trained for. Let's not repeat the Turkish's poor tactics against ISIS that lost them at least 8 Leopard 2A4 tanks.

Edited by tgw

28 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

One workaround is to have Ukraine directly hire civilian experts.  Of course the money would be funneled from the west into Ukraine. I just can’t see the Ukrainians effectively deploy advanced tanks into battle without direct assistance from western experts.  

Obvious problem with that is a foreign civilian would be regarded as a mercenary, and they have none of the protections accorded soldiers. Better not get captured.

• Like 1

Seems some posters enthusiasm for war is only surpassed by their lack of knowledge of what war entails.

Nations have missile submarines to take revenge in the case where an enemy does attack the mainland and destroys the on land missiles.

I agree with your information, many confuse PlayStation with real life.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

Ok question.

In nuclear warfare or armageddon as you put it, it takes 2 to tango.

Russia launches a nuke......where? what's the target? In Ukraine I would assume, and also assuming they are functional 

So who retaliates with a second nuclear launch? or counterlaunch,  Ukraine doesn't have any

The US isn't going to launch neither would the UK or France

China has stated to Russia to not even think about it.

So where is the world shattering end of humanity coming from?

Their has been over 2000 nuclear tests preformed by numerous countries since WW2, 528 in the atmosphere

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/nucleartesttally

We're still here

Russia launches a nuke......where? what's the target? In Ukraine I would assume,

and if the US decides to get involved directly in response, then it's WW3.

Escalation only goes in one direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tgw said:

nope.

experienced fighter jet pilots can convert to another plane in just about 6 weeks.

training has started already.

Really? An F-16 has Fly By Wire flight controls.  Soviet made aircraft mostly have hydraulic flight controls.  So an experienced pilot can transition from a MiG to an F-16 in 6 weeks and effectively complete combat missions.  I really don’t know because the most advance aircraft I have ever flown was a twin engine Beechcraft.

Obvious problem with that is a foreign civilian would be regarded as a mercenary, and they have none of the protections accorded soldiers. Better not get captured.

Russia has been the Wagner Group for years in several countries.

The benefit of having served is that one actually understands things like "training" and "logistics".

Add the following items to logistics:  Jet Fuel, spare parts for the Patriot system, Leopard tanks and eventually the M1A-Abrams.  Good to luck to the Ukrainian logisticians. 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you actually believe that the US and other NATO countries aren’t involved?

Really?

foreign fighters have already been captured and released, many killed.

when the Moskva was sunk, the US aerial survalance jet was circling in the region.

do you think it’s the Ukrainians that are supplying target info for the himars rockets?

the US knows exactly how many Iranian drones were sent to Russia!

2300ish I believe.

and the train that went to North Korea and returned to Russia loaded with weapons!

it wasn’t kimchi!

the US know when Putin <deleted> last and how many sheets of <deleted> he used, don’t kid yourself!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I remember when Hitler asked the Germans "Wollt ihr den totalen Krieg / Do you want total war". Enough idiots were fascinated and shouted "Yes". I am afraid there are still enough idiots out there... 

I think it was Joseph Goebbels to asked that question, but otherwise you're right.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Really? An F-16 has Fly By Wire flight controls.  Soviet made aircraft mostly have hydraulic flight controls.  So an experienced pilot can transition from a MiG to an F-16 in 6 weeks and effectively complete combat missions.  I really don’t know because the most advance aircraft I have ever flown was a twin engine Beechcraft.

Golly, someone should tell the US that they don't need advanced flight training as any experienced pilot can be flying combat missions in 6 weeks, 555555555555555555555.

I think the US will be somewhat reluctant to let 6 weekers fly their F16, which costs many millions of $, in combat.

Quite apart from losing the plane, they don't want the Russians capturing one and reverse engineering it.

If for some strange reason, 6 weekers were allowed to fly in combat, the Russians will be lovin' it.

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

Is that why there's so many  young Russians in Thailand BE88, or as I suspect there Dodging the draft because they don't want to die in a Ukraine field.

That would be like all the US kids that moved to Canada in the 1960s to escape that war.

Given they ain't refugees, they'll have to go back when their visas expire- not a good plan if that was their intention.

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

The numbers of tanks possibly to follow from NATO nations is is the many hundreds of Leopards, with a mass total of many thousands of Leopards ready to roll.

Tell us more about those thousands of Leopards being sent to Ukraine.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-military-technology-european-union-germany-611c4cddd142db39e44f4091a4d4adbc

One big appeal of the German-made tanks are their sheer number: More than 2,000 have been deployed in over a dozen European countries and Canada. Overall, Krauss-Maffei Wegmann says over 3,500 units have been supplied to 19 countries.

So, if we say 3,000 are battle ready, being optimistic, how many of them would be released for Ukraine, bearing in mind, countries have them for THEIR defense?

Perhaps a more realistic number is

https://www.politico.eu/article/allies-two-leopard-tank-battalions-ukraine-germany-olaf-scholz-nato-allies-volodymyr-zelenskyy-mark-rutte-spain-norway-joe-biden/

BERLIN — Germany and its European partners plan to “quickly” send two Leopard 2 tank battalions to Ukraine — suggesting about 80 vehicles — the government in Berlin announced Wednesday, adding that Germany would provide one company of 14 Leopard 2 A6 tanks “as a first step.”

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Tell us more about those thousands of Leopards being sent to Ukraine.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-military-technology-european-union-germany-611c4cddd142db39e44f4091a4d4adbc

One big appeal of the German-made tanks are their sheer number: More than 2,000 have been deployed in over a dozen European countries and Canada. Overall, Krauss-Maffei Wegmann says over 3,500 units have been supplied to 19 countries.

So, if we say 3,000 are battle ready, being optimistic, how many of them would be released for Ukraine, bearing in mind, countries have them for THEIR defense?

Perhaps a more realistic number is

https://www.politico.eu/article/allies-two-leopard-tank-battalions-ukraine-germany-olaf-scholz-nato-allies-volodymyr-zelenskyy-mark-rutte-spain-norway-joe-biden/

BERLIN — Germany and its European partners plan to “quickly” send two Leopard 2 tank battalions to Ukraine — suggesting about 80 vehicles — the government in Berlin announced Wednesday, adding that Germany would provide one company of 14 Leopard 2 A6 tanks “as a first step.”

I never said thousands were being sent. I said there were thousands around the NATO nations in total, and could be if needed and offered used (paraphrase).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

Is that why there's so many  young Russians in Thailand BE88, or as I suspect there Dodging the draft because they don't want to die in a Ukraine field.

Yes, on both sides, both Russians and Ukrainians, dying with honor for the country is not within everyone's reach. It's not that I'm in favor of this solution, I'm just describing how it works in the military field of many countries.

If you have done military service you would understand what I mean.

Heroes who died on the battlefield are always hailed as heroes even if it was just unfortunate that they found themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time.

From what the news reports it can be seen that on both sides of the conflict there are many deaths in heroes. And one wonders how many are those who want to die including the so-called volunteers, they seem many thousands.

• Like 1