Any Sauna lovers out there?

1FinickyOne

I have considered an outdoor sauna - 

What plusses or minuses have you found? 

I have read that with the current boom, many cheap not so good saunas have come on the market... what brand is best? 

Sure, I could just take a walk in hot season and sweat, but not sitting down. 

Don't know about the fixed type.

We used to have the box type the Mrs used after childbirth.

Sit down.zip it up and sweat.

Used to work good but never felt comfortable sitting over a rice cooker with electrical cable

and condensation.

Have been in a fixed one and they also had a larger rice cooker in the corner.

Prob worth finding out what kind of sauna a high end hotel like 4 seasons uses. A sauna is usually pretty indestructible. It's essentially a space heater.

Since we're both from New York, I must reference The Russian Baths in the East Village. Their cave-like Mikva sauna (an orthodox Jewish thing) was said to be the hottest room in America.

I saw a Himalayan Salt Block Sauna near Tapie Gate. I am open-minded about the healing power of salt walls.

• Thanks 1

I build one indoor in bricks – aerated concrete for best heat insulation – with tiles on floor and walls, and seats and ceiling in hard wood; imported oak, but teak will do as fine, about same price. I bought an external steam unit with thermostat, it works well. The steam unit I use needs a 32 amp supply (2 x 16 amp steam boilers inside). You can buy steam units from Lazada, sear results HERE...????

Finish or swedish brands are between 20 and 50 thousand baht depending on the size and well worth the investment. Make sure you specified three or single phase electric! I have built three and never a problem. The outside is bricks with teak wood interior (teak wood is a cool wood and does not get hot) and is very cheap in Thailand. Custom teak wood doors and windows ordered from phae province also very inexpensive. 

On 1/26/2023 at 1:51 PM, BigStar said:

No. I feel I'm living in a sauna already in Thailand. Cold country, in the winter, they're great, as are jacuzzis.

Agreed.  I used to love the steam room in the gym, but that's in a generally cold climate.  It's so hot in Thailand, even a brisk walk can leave you hot for most of the day.  Cooling down once your body temp goes up seems a lot more difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2023 at 3:53 PM, BangkokReady said:

Agreed.  I used to love the steam room in the gym, but that's in a generally cold climate.  It's so hot in Thailand, even a brisk walk can leave you hot for most of the day.  Cooling down once your body temp goes up seems a lot more difficult.

Yeah. If want to sweat in LOS, just do some physical work outside.

My wife had one of those zip up things, but I never saw the point.

The only saunas I used back home were in massage parlours, but the one I really liked was the one on the American base in Antarctica. - 40 degrees C outside and toasty in the box. They had a thing once a year when it got really cold in winter, where they sweltered in the sauna at max heat, went outside and ran around a course wearing only boots, and back into the sauna. Happy days back then.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/30/2023 at 2:25 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Yeah. If want to sweat in LOS, just do some physical work outside.

My wife had one of those zip up things, but I never saw the point.

The only saunas I used back home were in massage parlours, but the one I really liked was the one on the American base in Antarctica. - 40 degrees C outside and toasty in the box. They had a thing once a year when it got really cold in winter, where they sweltered in the sauna at max heat, went outside and ran around a course wearing only boots, and back into the sauna. Happy days back then.

What were you doing in Antarctica? 

Finally, you have piqued my interest. 

Did you just visit the South Pole for a sauna session? 

Or, did you go there to drill holes in the ice? 

Or, what? 

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What were you doing in Antarctica? 

Finally, you have piqued my interest. 

Did you just visit the South Pole for a sauna session? 

Or, did you go there to drill holes in the ice? 

Or, what? 

Antarctica is indeed interesting.

What did I do there? I had the most amazing year of my life there, but if you mean what did I get paid for, I was a handyman, and did maintenance, and vehicle repair etc. Every organization depends on the guys that do the dog work, though they get no thanks for it.

Sadly, I never got to South Pole, but it's just a vast expanse of snow, so nothing to get excited about, beyond being there.

Did I drill holes in the snow- yes, but not as a "scientist". I did a real job.

I met a LOT of scientists down there, and it stripped any illusions I might have had regarding "scientists". Most of them were IMO a waste of aircraft fuel. Some did important work, but not most. However, the base staff did get to participate in an interesting project on the transmission of colds or flu. It's a unique environment where once the flights stop for winter, no new diseases can be introduced. Once anyone that had a cold got over it no one had another till the flights resumed in summer. Basically, one does NOT catch a cold by being cold or wet- one catches a cold from an infected person.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2023 at 2:05 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Antarctica is indeed interesting.

What did I do there? I had the most amazing year of my life there, but if you mean what did I get paid for, I was a handyman, and did maintenance, and vehicle repair etc. Every organization depends on the guys that do the dog work, though they get no thanks for it.

Sadly, I never got to South Pole, but it's just a vast expanse of snow, so nothing to get excited about, beyond being there.

Did I drill holes in the snow- yes, but not as a "scientist". I did a real job.

I met a LOT of scientists down there, and it stripped any illusions I might have had regarding "scientists". Most of them were IMO a waste of aircraft fuel. Some did important work, but not most. However, the base staff did get to participate in an interesting project on the transmission of colds or flu. It's a unique environment where once the flights stop for winter, no new diseases can be introduced. Once anyone that had a cold got over it no one had another till the flights resumed in summer. Basically, one does NOT catch a cold by being cold or wet- one catches a cold from an infected person.

Did you witness, or hear about, any fights or brawls among scientists on Antarctica? 

Did you meet any tourists there? And are Antarctic tourists as likeable as Thailand tourists? 

I am more interested in stories about friction among scientists, and brawling. 

Most scientists who are insecure have larger egos. 

Did you have the opportunity to visit the Chinese station there? 

Maybe you should start a Topic. 

On 2/5/2023 at 2:46 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Did you witness, or hear about, any fights or brawls among scientists on Antarctica? 

Did you meet any tourists there? And are Antarctic tourists as likeable as Thailand tourists? 

I am more interested in stories about friction among scientists, and brawling. 

Most scientists who are insecure have larger egos. 

Did you have the opportunity to visit the Chinese station there? 

Maybe you should start a Topic. 

I once started a topic about Antarctica on a different forum ,but not many were interested.

Feel free to start one on here and I'll contribute answers to all your questions.

Were there any fights between scientists- none that were of any consequence, though one scientist did push another off his chair for talking during the movie. However there was one that almost had my fist in his face for being an <deleted>. Luckily for him I'm a peaceable person.

More relevant; was there hatred between base members- absolutely- loathing doesn't even begin to describe it.

I was there many years ago and there were no tourists, except for politicians wasting aircraft fuel for a jolly. Not having a favourable opinion of politicians even way back I avoided them as much as possible.

However, some years after my time some tourists on a flight had an unfortunate encounter with a mountain and were no more.

I doubt there was even a Chinese base on Antarctica then, and the only other base I visited was McMurdo, which was walking distance away.

Those Americans really knew how to party, but the lurid details will not be revealed by myself.

The sauna I used was at McMurdo, and a welcome respite from - 40 degrees C.

• Thumbs Up 1