How many visa exemptions can a person use in a year

23 hours ago, bigqueso26 said:

I'm a British citizen if that helps.

If you're a British citizen then you should be able to apply for an e-visa. Either single or multi entry.

I'm hope someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to confirm.

35 minutes ago, JayClay said:

If you're a British citizen then you should be able to apply for an e-visa. Either single or multi entry.

It's an interesting one.

There have been reports (couple) of success in obtaining an eVisa for Thailand when in nearby country and even Thailand itself. 

Think recall both those were UK guys. 

Yet to read of no issue using that eVisa and fly eg Vietnam to Thailand. 

Hopefully folk that have actually done that successfully will post.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

It's an interesting one.

There have been reports (couple) of success in obtaining an eVisa for Thailand when in nearby country and even Thailand itself. 

Think recall both those were UK guys. 

Yet to read of no issue using that eVisa and fly eg Vietnam to Thailand. 

Hopefully folk that have actually done that successfully will post.

Yes, as I just said to someone else here I was rejected for an eVisa back in September as I was flying from Bali and not flying from the UK. At that time I didn't know about the site Onward ticket which you can 'reserve' a ticket to and from anywhere in the world without having to actually book the ticket.

Like you said maybe someone with more experience could comment and shed some light.

4 hours ago, geisha said:

Just get a tourist visa as advised 60: days, plus you can extend this for 30 days., Easy. 

I think that's the best option. Looking into going to Hanoi to get one before leaving for Thailand. Upon doing my research though have found many people have been rejected there for innocuous reasons and my recent travel history (back and forth to thailand) might count against me.

Wish me luck

On 1/28/2023 at 8:11 AM, spambot said:

I am not sure if this is useful or not, but Flights from DAD to Hanoi going next week cost just over 1,000 Thb  and you can apply for a tourist visa. There is lots of availability to Make appointment i.e 6 available on Monday, cost of Visa is $40. You will need: Passport, Application Form, photograph (size 3.5 x 4.5 cm.), Flight itinerary for ROUND TRIP ticket, Copy of lease contract or hotel accommodation, A bank statement in the past 6 months showing the minimum fund of THB 20,000. Processing time of application will take 1-3 working days it says on the website, but as I understand if you apply in the morning you can usually collect the next day.

Hi there, thanks for your response on this, it's been very helpful. As for the link though, that is to make an appointment for passport/ID card/civil registration. I have found the page on the official Thai embassy hanoi website, and the link to make an appointment for visa application is a dead link (typical ????) Comes up with an error when you click it. I have emailed the office with no response. Cannot find any other way online to make an appointment. Do you think if i just turn up at the embassy with all the completed paperwork they will still see me?

Thanks again

2 hours ago, bigqueso26 said:

Hi there, thanks for your response on this, it's been very helpful. As for the link though, that is to make an appointment for passport/ID card/civil registration. I have found the page on the official Thai embassy hanoi website, and the link to make an appointment for visa application is a dead link (typical ????) Comes up with an error when you click it. I have emailed the office with no response. Cannot find any other way online to make an appointment. Do you think if i just turn up at the embassy with all the completed paperwork they will still see me?

Thanks again

Hi bigqueso26

I can see what you mean and my apologies - I translated and got what I thought was the Tourist Visa booking - I can see that I was wrong and the booking page is down. It is not clear how long its been down - Seems the online service Calendly require an administrator to login and allow the service to be live on the web. You could try https://web.facebook.com/thaiembhanoi/?_rdc=1&_rdr  using the Chat and see if they respond any faster than email. 

Its not clear that they would or would not see you and this depends I guess on how long the service has been down - If there is no one making appointments then no one can have an appointment and hence there would be lots of free slots that need filling.

I have Googled around for the appointments service not working, but there is nothing showing. I will try again to see what I can find and let you know if I find anything. 

2 hours ago, bigqueso26 said:

Thanks again

Try https://calendly.com/rtehan_consular/pp_idservices?month=2023-01

This is taken from the Thai Embassy London website.

FAQ - Visa to Thailand

วันที่นำเข้าข้อมูล 16 Oct 2022

วันที่ปรับปรุงข้อมูล 16 Oct 2022

| 44,479 view

1. I would like to go to Thailand for vacation for 2 weeks. I hold British passport. Do I need a visa?

Nationals of the United Kingdom and over 40 other countries are eligible to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and are permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 30 days. Therefore, you do not need a visa.

From 1 October 2022 to 31 March 2023, the period of stay for tourist visa exemption scheme is extended from 30 to 45 days. In addition, the period of stay for bilateral agreements on visa exemption are extended from 14 and 30 days to 45 days.

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 10,000 Baht (150 pounds) per person or 20,000 Baht (300 pounds) per family. Otherwise, you maybe inconvenienced upon entry into the country.

Furthermore, foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Yup - I ended up here and as the poster points out this translated is for a different service (Google Translate) 

Passport/ID card/Civil registration

Going to this page and clicking the other link - This needs logging into to make the service live (Google Translate) 

https://rtehanoi.thaiembassy.org/th/page/การนัดหมายออนไลน์-online-appointment 

The Visa service is the other link - But Both are now fully online

i.e https://calendly.com/consular-han/10?month=2023-01

4 hours ago, bigqueso26 said:

Thanks again

The booking appointments calendar - Is NOW back online!

https://calendly.com/consular-han/10?month=2023-01

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/28/2023 at 11:39 PM, bigqueso26 said:

Yes, as I just said to someone else here I was rejected for an eVisa back in September as I was flying from Bali and not flying from the UK.

Did you get a refund on your payment or is the fee lost forever?

After one tourist visa and four visa exemt entries in 2022: On the sixth entry at BKK airport the imm lady told me it was the last time to enter without visa. And I had been in Europe for a month. After I asked her details she got angry and called her superior to question me.

In the end I got my sixth entry after some questioning and showing ticket out after two weeks. I told I was married to a Thai but did not stay long as I work in Europe so had no visa. They advised me to get visa for future entries.

Just as a warning as it seems to me they are making it more difficult to take frequent trips.

On 2/1/2023 at 4:57 PM, martin81 said:

After one tourist visa and four visa exemt entries in 2022: On the sixth entry at BKK airport the imm lady told me it was the last time to enter without visa. And I had been in Europe for a month. After I asked her details she got angry and called her superior to question me.

In the end I got my sixth entry after some questioning and showing ticket out after two weeks. I told I was married to a Thai but did not stay long as I work in Europe so had no visa. They advised me to get visa for future entries.

Just as a warning as it seems to me they are making it more difficult to take frequent trips.

Yeah you're right they are definitely making it harder to enter if you're a regular. 

So what have you done going forward? Are you getting visas before now or still trying your luck with exemptions? There's no solid info on how many visas you're allowed in a year either.

10 hours ago, spambot said:

Hi bigqueso26

How did things work out?

Hi, so I flew to Hanoi yesterday and applied for the visa today. After two days of getting documents together and travel had the appointment today. The google reviews are right about the Thai embassy here. A complete <deleted>show really.

Staff pretty rude and unhelpful (as expected) theres no organisation or directive on what to do and they kind of look at you like you're an inanimate object or something.

Anyway documents I had to provide: Application form, passport photo, bank statement, flight in and out, hotel booking (for full two months, which i didn't have) proof of homeownership from my girlfriend as I'm staying with her too, her Thai ID, copy of my passport, full written itinerary of all my entire trip, letter from my employer in the UK and half a pound of my flesh.

So after giving her everything she questioned me about why I've been to Thailand so many times why I want to go back what do I do there ect. She checked every document for absolutely ages.

Then she wanted two more months of bank statements, an invitation letter from my girlfriend and payment receipts for both my inward and onward flights. 

After running around getting all that before 12pm they triple checked everything again (two of them this time) questioned me some more and then took my money and said they'll let me know in 3 days.

So yeah a pretty stressful ordeal but its what you have to do if you're a frequent traveler to Thailand now it seems. I just hope they give me the visa after all that.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bigqueso26 said:

Hi, so I flew to Hanoi yesterday and applied for the visa today. After two days of getting documents together and travel had the appointment today. The google reviews are right about the Thai embassy here. A complete <deleted>show really.

Hard luck. When I last used Hanoi a few years ago, they were pretty good. No issues if it was your first application in Hanoi (with Thai tourist visas from elsewhere) and visa available the following day. At least, unlike what often happens in Phnom Penh, they did not just deny your application out of hand and stick a nasty stamp in your passport. I hope all goes well for you going forward.

10 hours ago, bigqueso26 said:

So after giving her everything she questioned me about why I've been to Thailand so many times why I want to go back what do I do there ect. She checked every document for absolutely ages.

Just to better understand, as this thread has been focusing on your past 7 months in Thailand, is there any prior history of Thailand visits visible in your passport? Additional tourist visas from before Covid or something like that?

With just the one tourist visa from last year plus two visa exempt entries that had been mentioned, that level of scrutiny seems well over the top and would be a new development in Hanoi, which used to be quite a friendly consulate pre-Covid.

That being said, mentioning a Thai girlfriend has always been a bad idea and often leads to consulates asking for a letter of invitation or other such nonsense. You might have been better off making additional hotel bookings to cover the entire time, as they can be canceled easily anyway. Too late for that now, but might be worth considering for later and by others.

Thanks for your report and best of luck, hopefully they'll issue the visa after putting you through that ordeal.

10 hours ago, bigqueso26 said:

Staff pretty rude and unhelpful (as expected) theres no organisation or directive on what to do and they kind of look at you like you're an inanimate object or something.

Anyway documents I had to provide: Application form, passport photo, bank statement, flight in and out, hotel booking (for full two months, which i didn't have) proof of homeownership from my girlfriend as I'm staying with her too, her Thai ID, copy of my passport, full written itinerary of all my entire trip, letter from my employer in the UK and half a pound of my flesh.

Then she wanted two more months of bank statements, an invitation letter from my girlfriend and payment receipts for both my inward and onward flights. 

After running around getting all that before 12pm they triple checked everything again (two of them this time) questioned me some more and then took my money and said they'll let me know in 3 days.

So yeah a pretty stressful ordeal but its what you have to do if you're a frequent traveler to Thailand now it seems. I just hope they give me the visa after all that.

Mnnnn - Doesn't sound good.

Many on this forum have recommended Hanoi as one of the easier Consulates for getting a tourist visa and for me personally it was surprising to hear your story. While you have obviously had to endure a poor experience, your last post will actually help provide good information for others to understand the high bar challenges when selecting Hanoi. 

Its not clear why they insist on a full written itinerary of all your entire trip and a letter from your employer in the UK. Its unlikely that any particular itinerary would have any bearing on a decision to provide you with a tourist visa and there is an even smaller chance that they would follow up to make sure you followed this itinerary. Similarly its very unlikely they would spend the time checking on the validity or credibility of who the writer of a letter who might or might not be in the UK.

Unfortunately it does sound like you are having a rough time trying get back to Thailand.

It sometimes feels when reading stories like yours that Thailand doesn't know what problem they are trying to solve. Each Consulate and immigration has a broad sweeping range of rules and each interprets this with different amounts of vigour. It's difficult however to blame the immigration since they doing their job with the rules given to them and I am guessing whoever decides these rules is not actively monitoring the core of the problem or understand the scale of the problem or even what the problem is that is being solved. As a result Consulates and immigration end up with a general shopping list of issued rules that has no real quantified research or analysis and end up measuring on very blunt criteria "Because you spend too long in Thailand". This is even though you might have high potential benefit to Thailand with relatively little downside, you have simply spent too long being here.

Unfortunately you seem to be a casualty.

Good luck on your return to Thailand and please keep us all informed of your progress.

After reading your original post bigqueso26 I emailed the Consulate in Hanoi asking about the turnaround time for your application since it mentioned up to 3 days on the website. I just got a response back, which didn't answer the question, but rather has provided me an attachment of a word doc with the qualification list criteria  - This is also attached to this post (below).

Some of the items do seem a bit surprising or are at least over the top (Some below - all copy and paste):

<On the doc>

'Detailed Travel Plan, tour activities, and destinations … (and reasons why to travel to those places) during the whole periods that you will stay in Thailand in Thailand, in written/typed form (printed out in paper, no have sample).'

'VALID ACCOMMODATION RESERVATION BOOKING FOR THE WHOLE DURATION OF YOUR STAY IN THAILAND: Hotel confirmation or House Leasing contract, with ID/Personal Income Tax Code copy of the landlords.' - I have not added the capitalisation 

DOCUMENTS TO SHOW YOUR JOB, YOUR INCOME: More documents of financial evidence, financial resources, your income …
which support you to pay for expenses in Thailand. For example: Copy of current /previous employment contract in English, or Letter
from the applicant’s company indicating the applicant’s position, length of employment, salary and purpose of visit(s) to Thailand, and
request the visa for applicant, copies of your employment/staff card … or any related evidence.

It sounds a little more detailed than normal when expecting the length of employment, salary and explanation by the employer why you are visiting Thailand.

22 TOURIST VISA- EN (1).docx

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Caldera said:

Just to better understand, as this thread has been focusing on your past 7 months in Thailand, is there any prior history of Thailand visits visible in your passport? Additional tourist visas from before Covid or something like that?

With just the one tourist visa from last year plus two visa exempt entries that had been mentioned, that level of scrutiny seems well over the top and would be a new development in Hanoi, which used to be quite a friendly consulate pre-Covid.

That being said, mentioning a Thai girlfriend has always been a bad idea and often leads to consulates asking for a letter of invitation or other such nonsense. You might have been better off making additional hotel bookings to cover the entire time, as they can be canceled easily anyway. Too late for that now, but might be worth considering for later and by others.

Thanks for your report and best of luck, hopefully they'll issue the visa after putting you through that ordeal.

Hi, So i had been in Thailand before covid yes, but that was on a previous passport so the only stamps will only show my recent entries. The past 7 months. On that note there must be a database with everyones entries in and out of a the country for someone digging a bit earlier within immigration I'm assuming?

As for my girlfriend, I did not mention she was my 'girlfriend' as I thought this will raise eyebrows so I only mentioned her as a friend. Nothing else. Maybe they would assume girlfriend anyway who knows.

Thanks for your support

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, spambot said:

Mnnnn - Doesn't sound good.

Many on this forum have recommended Hanoi as one of the easier Consulates for getting a tourist visa and for me personally it was surprising to hear your story. While you have obviously had to endure a poor experience, your last post will actually help provide good information for others to understand the high bar challenges when selecting Hanoi. 

Its not clear why they insist on a full written itinerary of all your entire trip and a letter from your employer in the UK. Its unlikely that any particular itinerary would have any bearing on a decision to provide you with a tourist visa and there is an even smaller chance that they would follow up to make sure you followed this itinerary. Similarly its very unlikely they would spend the time checking on the validity or credibility of who the writer of a letter who might or might not be in the UK.

Unfortunately it does sound like you are having a rough time trying get back to Thailand.

It sometimes feels when reading stories like yours that Thailand doesn't know what problem they are trying to solve. Each Consulate and immigration has a broad sweeping range of rules and each interprets this with different amounts of vigour. It's difficult however to blame the immigration since they doing their job with the rules given to them and I am guessing whoever decides these rules is not actively monitoring the core of the problem or understand the scale of the problem or even what the problem is that is being solved. As a result Consulates and immigration end up with a general shopping list of issued rules that has no real quantified research or analysis and end up measuring on very blunt criteria "Because you spend too long in Thailand". This is even though you might have high potential benefit to Thailand with relatively little downside, you have simply spent too long being here.

Unfortunately you seem to be a casualty.

Good luck on your return to Thailand and please keep us all informed of your progress.

Hi, yes the overwhelming response regarding the Hanoi consulate I have found after looking around on the internet and on here was positive. However most of these experiences occurred before around 3 years ago. Maybe before covid times. Since then it seems they've become a lot harsher and nitpicky.

A good reflection of this is on the google reviews of the consulate. Before around 3 years ago many reviews were 5 star. Most of the recent reviews have been shocking.

The point you made about individual immigrations officers is valid. They shouldn't be blamed for the vast set of rules they've been given to enforce. My main issue is with their manner. Many of them treat you with real contempt and make it abundantly clear you're not welcome. Again maybe this is not there fault and just how they've been conditioned by there superiors but to me you can deny someone something without being a [BLEEP] about it.

I also would like to note I was not the only one who had a hard time, almost everyone else there was turned away or told to get more papers too.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2023 at 3:55 AM, bigqueso26 said:

I am about to come back to Thailand in Feb and am a bit worried they are going to question me at the airport or refuse entry.

Immigration can always refuse entry and you can do nothing. There is no limit to the number of visa exempt entries by air. By land, there is a limit of two/year. 

12 hours ago, bigqueso26 said:

Hi, yes the overwhelming response regarding the Hanoi consulate I have found after looking around on the internet and on here was positive. However most of these experiences occurred before around 3 years ago. Maybe before covid times. Since then it seems they've become a lot harsher and nitpicky.

A good reflection of this is on the google reviews of the consulate. Before around 3 years ago many reviews were 5 star. Most of the recent reviews have been shocking.

The point you made about individual immigrations officers is valid. They shouldn't be blamed for the vast set of rules they've been given to enforce. My main issue is with their manner. Many of them treat you with real contempt and make it abundantly clear you're not welcome. Again maybe this is not there fault and just how they've been conditioned by there superiors but to me you can deny someone something without being a [BLEEP] about it.

I also would like to note I was not the only one who had a hard time, almost everyone else there was turned away or told to get more papers too.

You are right its all about how the rules are explained without abusing the power of authority to diminish another person. I know what I said about the consulate being handed a list of rules, however you are right about being a [BLEEP} about it, otherwise this is simply a misuse of a position

Blimey!... After looking at the most recent Google reviews - I get it - The experience of others in the last few months does seem very similar to your own.

Below are the most recent 3 reviews:

1 month Ago:      1 Star

“read carefully”, says a woman showing 12-step document requirements when it’s just 6 on their website they do visa 3 days minimum and have some holidays and weekends so there’s no chance for me to do the visa and they also require to full pay all accommodations and flights before applying so you can lose as much money as possible it’s just some kind of cruel joke I don’t get, and what they do just feels illegal like I suppose to pay for everything in thailand, I pay service fee, and risking to lose it all?! after traveling 2 countries and 4 cities I come with all documents listed on the website and they require something more which is too late to get today, and it’s weekend soon so get rekt I mean how much pain should one endure to get 60 days visa instead of 45-day stamp you’ll get on arrival for free anyway?

1 month Ago:     1 Star

Tried to apply for tourist visa here. The list of required documents does not match those from official website. Counsel was nitpicking on nearly every document. They've accepted documents only on third attempt but then we found out it takes more than three working days to process. We could not change our flight tickets and had to abort the application, thankfully they returned the money. Would not recommend to anyone.

1 month Ago:      1 Star

I rang the Thai Embassy in Hanoi today to ask some simple questions about exemption visas and all I got was a man yelling down the phone at me in a really angry voice. This kind of verbally abusive behaviour and absence of customer service is shameful and very very bad PR for Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Based on the OP's report and the reviews above, I think it would be fair to say that they've changed dramatically. Some of their requirements go well beyond what's normal (compared with other Thai embassies and consulates) and reasonable.

So it might be time to put Hanoi on the list of places best avoided for a tourist visa application.

• Thanks 1