Swedish victim in capsized boat incident in Krabi disputes how it happened

webfact

at least she is not anonymous, gave her full name.

In case of drivers, captains or "witnesses" the most public is able to know is their first name. They can state anything what is required from them from their employer, authorities or police.

Now they can ask for some form of compensation. Likely some items were damaged, fo example electronics. At least to hear "sorry" from captain.

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

I never forget many years ago I owns a fishing boat with home port the Boat Lagoon in Phuket.

There is a narrow river to go to the sea.

The speed limit is 5 km, I don't have to tell you at what speed I was passed, every time again 25km/hr by this kind of people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

According to Idige Rantanen, all passengers did not take any photos, but were seated properly. She said the reason the boat overturned was because the boat driver took a “too small, fast, and sharp turn” before he lost control of the steering stick.

The truth will out eventually.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 1

It's only a matter of weeks (January 26 2023) since another incident with a longtail boat from Krabi. 

On that occasion a passing fisherman hauled them out of the water but a mother and her 5 year old daughter died.

AseanNow thread  here (Update: Boat capsize latest: Two tourists - mother and daughter - die after long tail boat capsizes in Krabi)

• Thumbs Up 1

A visiting friend and I took one of the boat tours offered to the islands from the east shore of Phuket.  We left in a group of 3 boats from the same company at 08:00.  Phang Nga was as smooth as glass as the wind had not yet risen and there was no swell.  You would imagine it would be a smooth ride.  You would imagine wrong.  The three boats, all doing around 50 kilometers per hour, performed an elaborate weave around one another such that the boats were continually crossing each others wakes.  I'm not sure what the thinking is here:  To offer the rubes a thrill or what?  I just kept thinking that there are three high speed boats here maneuvering in very close proximity and that this would be a fine way to go swimming or worse.  I've been on a boat in the bay in 3-5 swell/chop and the ride was not as bad.  Won't do it again.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

"According to Idige Rantanen, all passengers did not take any photos, but were seated properly".

Er, who took the picture in the article?

I think they were talking about the moment that the accident occurred.

8 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Just avoid tourist slums like Krabi. No more problems. I can certainly believe a group of Swedes were dumb enough to stand on one side of the boat.

Yeah just avoid Krabi. Honestly, why would a group of  Swedes want to visit one of the most beautiful beaches and cliffs on the planet? 

• Like 1

Ahh "steering stick" ???? You mean the 'tiller'.

I wouldn't be surprised at one or the other happening.

If folks get into a boat and have zero boating understanding then moving to the port or starboard gunnels and listing the boat rapidly is entirely possible, as is a slip or miss step by the helmsman and pushing or pulling the tiller radically. Nobody drowned or ended up in the prop/s so thats a good thing.

23 hours ago, Tubulat said:

I never forget many years ago I owns a fishing boat with home port the Boat Lagoon in Phuket.

There is a narrow river to go to the sea.

The speed limit is 5 km, I don't have to tell you at what speed I was passed, every time again 25km/hr by this kind of people.

A few years ago, a couple of these tourist boats collided in that channel at high speed.

From memory, 2 Russian children died.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1