Revenue Department to tax Youtubers, online vendors and influencers

webfact

On 2/10/2023 at 3:08 PM, hotchilli said:

I asked a Win taxi rider friend of mine how much tax he pays...

he said 7%, every time he buys something... nuff said.

Exactly. Income should not be taxed. It would be enough to just tax consumption. Then there would be no need for people to try to hide their incomes; there would be no need for all those employees in the tax department; etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, userabcd said:

I guess you know in detail the earnings of Thais???

Below 150000 baht the income is exempt, those are the rules which incorporate most Thais, they are not all rich as some would assume.

Tax rates of the Personal Income Tax

Taxable Income
(baht)
Tax Rate
(%)
0-150,000 Exempt

Below 150k is the zero rated band, not exempt.

13 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

Exactly. Income should not be taxed. It would be enough to just tax consumption. Then there would be no need for people to try to hide their incomes; there would be no need for all those employees in the tax department; etc.

And interest and investment income too?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

So you are okay with the elites who earn millions a year paying the same tax as those on a small monthly salary?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

Below 150k is the zero rated band, not exempt.

Pedantics.

On the RD website which was posted an extract, they themselves write "exempt"

So if someone was earning less than 150000 baht, any tax of those earnings would be exempt from paying income tax.

There are also rules about when one is required to submit a tax return.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And who do you know that fits that description?

look around and see how many expensive cars are driving around, and that with a population that 75% don't pay taxes...My Thai partner is even wondering where the money of some people come from....Why do you think the household debts are so high??? Probably they never can pay it back..Open your eyes an you see the problems

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, userabcd said:

Pedantics.

On the RD website which was posted an extract, they themselves write "exempt"

So if someone was earning less than 150000 baht, any tax of those earnings would be exempt from paying income tax.

There are also rules about when one is required to submit a tax return.

It isn't because there are earnings that genuinely are exempt, US Social Security payments for example, they are not even factored into the calculation of taxes. On the otherhood, other income such as UK state pension for example is factored in and assessed for taxes liabilities but if the amount is under 150k it falls in the zero rated band and is not taxed. Exempt means not even part of the tax calculation, zero rated means it is taxed at zero percent, there is an important difference.

2 hours ago, userabcd said:

I guess you know in detail the earnings of Thais???

Below 150000 baht the income is exempt, those are the rules which incorporate most Thais, they are not all rich as some would assume.

Tax rates of the Personal Income Tax

Taxable Income
(baht)
Tax Rate
(%)
0-150,000 Exempt

Yes but do they submit any tax declaration to qualify for the exempt status... or are they trusted in that below that number, they need not bother?

20 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

It isn't because there are earnings that genuinely are exempt, US Social Security payments for example, they are not even factored into the calculation of taxes. On the otherhood, other income such as UK state pension for example is factored in and assessed for taxes liabilities but if the amount is under 150k it falls in the zero rated band and is not taxed. Exempt means not even part of the tax calculation, zero rated means it is taxed at zero percent, there is an important difference.

Dont know about US taxes, discussing Thai taxes here and on their website for taxable brackets they write for 0 to 150000 'exempt'

image.png.e1d52ed9d0967c67829ea4573f7094d2.png ex·empt
/iɡˈzem(p)t/

adjective
free from an obligation or liability imposed on others.
"these patients are exempt from all charges"
synonyms: free from, not liable to, not subject to, exempted, spared, excepted, excused, absolved, released, discharged, immune

verb
free (a person or organization) from an obligation or liability imposed on others.
"they were exempted from paying the tax"
synonyms: free from, not liable to, not subject to, exempted, spared, excepted, excused, absolved, released, discharged, immune, excuse, free, release, exclude, give/grant immunity, spare, let off, relieve of, make an exception of/for, liberate, absolve, discharge, let off the hook, grandfather, dispense

noun
a person who is exempt from something, especially the payment of tax.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

look around and see how many expensive cars are driving around, and that with a population that 75% don't pay taxes...My Thai partner is even wondering where the money of some people come from....Why do you think the household debts are so high??? Probably they never can pay it back..Open your eyes an you see the problems

Again, who do you know that fits that description - in your words 'Sombody who claims to earn only 10k a month and has a millions THB worh house and luxury car(s)'.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Dont know about US taxes, discussing Thai taxes here and on their website for taxable brackets they write for 0 to 150000 'exempt'

image.png.e1d52ed9d0967c67829ea4573f7094d2.png ex·empt
/iɡˈzem(p)t/

adjective
free from an obligation or liability imposed on others.
"these patients are exempt from all charges"
synonyms: free from, not liable to, not subject to, exempted, spared, excepted, excused, absolved, released, discharged, immune

verb
free (a person or organization) from an obligation or liability imposed on others.
"they were exempted from paying the tax"
synonyms: free from, not liable to, not subject to, exempted, spared, excepted, excused, absolved, released, discharged, immune, excuse, free, release, exclude, give/grant immunity, spare, let off, relieve of, make an exception of/for, liberate, absolve, discharge, let off the hook, grandfather, dispense

noun
a person who is exempt from something, especially the payment of tax.

I'm talking about Thai taxes also,  I used an example of me where I receive income in Thailand from both US SSc and also UK State Pension. When I file my Thai tax return, my US SSc income is exempt from the calculation by Treaty, my UK State Pension is not exempt and must be included in the calculation of tax due. The word exempt has an every day meaning but in the tax world it has a specific meaning which is, not to be included. If the US SSc income was included in the tax calculation, that would mean it would be zero rated because it would form part of the first 150,K. BUT, it would also mean that anything that sits on top of it, my UK State Pension for example, would extend upwards into a higher tax band. That is why the distinction between exempt and zero rated band is a very very important one, even if it does appear to you to be pedantic.

Edited by nigelforbes
typo, US to UK
  • Confused 1

Things will improve significantly if taxes will be collected/paid. How are they going to implement it in this country - is a big question, but they should start.

Online businesses are doing really big - domestic and international. I noticed hundreds parcels from a single merchant at our post office. some cosmetics sold on FB with thai addresses. Look at thai-based merchants on Ebay - amazing too. And there are thousands standalone e-commerce shops. None pay anything.

And who will ignore OnlyFans performers? 

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So you are okay with the elites who earn millions a year paying the same tax as those on a small monthly salary?

They wouldn't be paying the same amount. The "elites who earn millions a year" also spend more than those on a small monthly salary, so they would automatically pay more taxes. The only way they would not pay more taxes is if they didn't spend their money. Do you know any rich people who just pile up their money without spending any of it? Use your head a bit.

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

And interest and investment income too?

As I said, taxation should be completely separated from income - and be completely tied to consumption, regardless of the source of the income. If high earners want to just earn a lot of money without spending it, then it's true that they wouldn't pay any taxes. But does anybody earn money to just sit on it? I don't think so.

It would be easy enough to set up a system whereby things used by everybody, especially the low earners, such as food, would be taxed at lower rates, and luxury goods could be taxed at higher rates.

On 2/10/2023 at 10:48 AM, bkk6060 said:

Great, hope it works.  These narcissistic people making money off the country, Thai people and exploiting Thai females should be taxed at the highest levels.  And, shut down their channels w/o work permits.   Many of them are fake also making themselves feel important by buying subs, views, etc to make it look like they have popular channels. 

Most youtubers living here would be Thai. Why do you think this is just about foreigners?

Let me make this perfectly clear...

I plan to be be collecting 1 billion in Thai Baht in taxes from all Thai visa posters here next year....This will be a manditory tax.....

How will I collect these taxes?

Well...I dont have a way to collect these taxes....So I guess I will be getting zero baht....lol

Yes folks......This is the You-tube tax plan.....

Edited by redwood1
  • Haha 1

What about a foreigner who makes a video in Thailand and a foreign viewer makes a donation like “buying a coffee”?  “Buying a coffee” is the latest version of donating to YouTube vlog makers.  I can’t see how a foreigner in Thailand being taxed for a donation from a foreign source.  But as always TIT.  Does the concepts of Logic or Fairness ever come into play?  

16 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

They wouldn't be paying the same amount. The "elites who earn millions a year" also spend more than those on a small monthly salary, so they would automatically pay more taxes. The only way they would not pay more taxes is if they didn't spend their money. Do you know any rich people who just pile up their money without spending any of it? Use your head a bit.

Many people are very rich and remain that way by living a normal lifestyle and not flashing their wealth around.

Maybe you can think a little laterally and use your head a bit. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DavisH said:

Most youtubers living here would be Thai. Why do you think this is just about foreigners?

There are hundreds upon hundreds of Thai vloggers of every sort out there making a supplemental living.

I highly doubt that the significant percentage are taxed obligated........many fly under the radar.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Many people are very rich and remain that way by living a normal lifestyle and not flashing their wealth around.

Maybe you can think a little laterally and use your head a bit. 

Indeed. 

Personally, I know quite a few folks that are "more than comfortable", but you'd never know it by their lifestyles and demeanor. 

On 2/10/2023 at 10:21 AM, webfact said:

influencers

My responses are very influential to everyone here.  Helps me make billions with all those smiley faces.

I am ready to report all YouTubers!!!!   Livestream of them being arrested!  If I see a camera, I’m calling the police!!!   YouTube upload date………

now my life has purpose 

• Haha 1