44 Foreign Drivers Arrested in Patong with No Driving Licenses

webfact

Soft power to attrack more tourists.... Motor rentalshops will be happy too as their business is being ruined.... It is no problem that the RTP is doing is, but why not first check all the Thais and make them to have a driverslicense and wearing a helmet....Than it would be fair.. I have to think that here they see a splinter in someones eyes instead of the bar in their own eyes

• Like 1

since when were these arrestable offences ?

impound the vehicles possibly if it is written in law allowing them to do so and there is a fine for no licence/helmet/insurance and other driving offences - they just can't make it up as they go, I agree going after the rental companies but there must be provisions in law to allow them to do this also.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

While 10 year old kids are allowed to ride motorbikes, they are arresting foreigners without Thai driver's licenses. Meanwhile it is perfectly legal for a Thai to drive in the US, with a Thai drivers license. Fair or extremely xenophobic? 

I always thought you could drive in Thailand on a foreign license for up to 3 months without an IDP. I may be wrong but I have a strong memory of this (many of my memories are questionable due to my age though).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

If you look at the police checkpoints in tourist places it's indeed racism. They pull over everybody who doesn't look Thai, but a Thai without helmet and no license plate can just pass.

So what ?

• Love It 2

1 hour ago, Dazkkk said:

An IDP and your country of origin Driving licence is required if you want to drive a car or ride a motorcycle in Thailand.
After a year, if you want to continue to drive in Thailand you have to take a Thai driving test, as the IDP is no longer valid. 

Actually its 60 days on a foreign license and OR an international driving permit. Then if you continue to drive regardless of what foreign license you have you MUST either stop driving, riding or go get a Thai license (2 year period of validity for the first Thai license).

If you don't get a Thai license at or before the 60 days of continuous presence and riding in LOS expires you are considered under Thai traffic law to be driving license-less and breaking the law. 

7 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

If ya re so monumentally arrogant, anti-social, and stupid as to ride a bike or drive a car here without a valid license, and therefore zero insurance of any kind, you deserve every ounce of punishment is meted out to you.

Agreed but have you ever looked at the low insurance coverage offered even when correctly licenced? I have first class motorcycle cover and only 200 Baht day for 20 days hospitalization, Maximum of 80,000 Baht for bodily injury and 500,000 Baht for death. Basic compulsory insurance much less.

28 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

I always thought you could drive in Thailand on a foreign license for up to 3 months without an IDP. I may be wrong but I have a strong memory of this (many of my memories are questionable due to my age though).

I though the same but the Thailand embassy page in Australia says this:

If you do not hold a Thai driver's licence and wish to drive in Thailand, you need an international driving permit (IDP), as well as your Australian licence. If you drive without the correct licence you could be arrested or jailed. An IDP is a document sanctioned by the United Nations.

Been a long time since I drove in Thailand so maybe the rules were different back then. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1