Cabinet approves tourist fee of 150-300 baht for all foreign tourists

snoop1130

11 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's on average 134 million baht/year, or less than 4 baht (40 million tourist arrivals) to 7 baht (20 million)... Wonder what they'll do with the extra 143 to 293 baht.

And let's see a breakdown of "foreigners". Were they tourists, migrant workers, long stayers or what?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, bradiston said:

And let's see a breakdown of "foreigners". Were they tourists, migrant workers, long stayers or what?

Yes, would be interesting to know. If, for example, most of the costs were because of migrant workers, and they wouldn't have to pay this landing fee, then charging tourists, on the other hand, would mean charging the wrong crowd...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, would be interesting to know. If, for example, most of the costs were because of migrant workers, and they wouldn't have to pay this landing fee, then charging tourists, on the other hand, would mean charging the wrong crowd...

Quite so, and just being used as an excuse for government fund raising, aka tax. It's probably the result of the costs of vaccinating millions of foreigners and Thais against COVID. All those "free jabs" etc. A bit too good to be true, do you think?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I think some of you are missing the point. The cost of maintaining the Public Health system is rising rapidly, the population is ageing and operating costs increase year on year. Tackling bad debt is important, it doesn't matter that Burmese or other Asians are the cause of the debt, those are workers that can't afford to pay so somebody else has to pay. There is no doubt that some Westerners have skipped out on medical bills, that and the fact they can easily afford the 300 Baht is all that is needed for holiday makers to make the connection between the two things. There's no point in debating whether it's fair or not, being fair doesn't enter into the equation.

I think you're right to a large extent, but only 30 goes to healthcare allegedly. We already pay through the nose for parks, gardens and other attractions. So what's left to fund? There's obviously a big hole somewhere in the government's accounts which needs plugging. Healthcare would seem a fair target, especially if it benefits those most in need. Airport expansion? They've slated huge developments in that area. Could be any number of things I guess. Do ANY Thais pay tax?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I think you're right to a large extent, but only 30 goes to healthcare allegedly. We already pay through the nose for parks, gardens and other attractions. So what's left to fund? There's obviously a big hole somewhere in the government's accounts which needs plugging. Healthcare would seem a fair target, especially if it benefits those most in need. Airport expansion? They've slated huge developments in that area. Could be any number of things I guess. Do ANY Thais pay tax?

Everyone pays VAT which is the country's largest source of tax revenue, only about 5% of the population pays tax via a tax return.

I think the idea that the 300 baht is going to be skimmed or forms a part of corruption is simply incorrect, although I understand how some people want to jump to that conclusion. Thailand spends more than it makes every year, it  has constantly run a budget deficit for the past few years. The numbers are still small, government debt is still only 60% of GDP BUT it is rising year on year and the expense of subsidies under covid made a big dent in spending. The government wants to head off the rise in health care spending, plus it can use money in loads of other areas that form part of the budget. I seriously doubt that any tourist attractions will be improved as a result  of the new levy, in a couple of years, everyone will have forgotten what it was for.  The rest of the money will go into the general pot and it will be spent within the economy, but it's purpose is not to buy villa's and merc's for the elite, that's just plain crazy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Everyone pays VAT which is the country's largest source of tax revenue, only about 5% of the population pays tax via a tax return.

I think the idea that the 300 baht is going to be skimmed or forms a part of corruption is simply incorrect, although I understand how some people want to jump to that conclusion. Thailand spends more than it makes every year, it  has constantly run a budget deficit for the past few years. The numbers are still small, government debt is still only 60% of GDP BUT it is rising year on year and the expense of subsidies under covid made a big dent in spending. The government wants to head off the rise in health care spending, plus it can use money in loads of other areas that form part of the budget. I seriously doubt that any tourist attractions will be improved as a result  of the new levy, in a couple of years, everyone will have forgotten what it was for.  The rest of the money will go into the general pot and it will be spent within the economy, but it's purpose is not to buy villa's and merc's for the elite, that's just plain crazy.

I think you're right. I mean, when the 700 THB departure tax was introduced, did anyone say what it was for? Was there outrage and consternation? Is it or was it earmarked for anything in particular? Do Thais pay it? Are there any refunds available? Other exemptions?

2 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Stop looking at projected revenue grab.

Devil is in the detail.

It is not an extra NZ$14 per passenger from a tourist.

After a long haul flight queuing up for a an extended time to pass through Immigration then queuing up for another extended time to pay this levy, is a non starter for my next SE Asian visit.

I'm not sure it still works the same way, but in the past people arriving to Indonesia, Cambodia and Vietnam had to que up for a visa before going through immigration. In Thailand those who need visa on arrival have to que for a visa before immigration as well, and they still come.

As for the new tourists tax - we don't know yet how this will work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I think you're right. I mean, when the 700 THB departure tax was introduced, did anyone say what it was for? Was there outrage and consternation? Is it or was it earmarked for anything in particular? Do Thais pay it? Are there any refunds available? Other exemptions?

The last time the Departure Tax was increased was in 2014, domestic went from 100 to 200 which was still below the full cost recovery level to operate the airports that AOT manage....that cost in 2014 was 336 baht per domestic passenger. The international charge has remained at 700 since February 2007. Much more than that....dunno, sorry.

5 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Strange idea to put tourists in charge of maintaining the public health system. - I'm sure countries like France, Spain, Italy, Greece, etc., would be interested to adopt such a system...

Nobody suggested that, perhaps you dreamed it! All I said was that the tourist tax is going to help offset unpaid hospital bills created by foreigners, surely that's simple enough to understand without getting confused and going off at a tangent!

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Strange idea to put tourists in charge of maintaining the public health system. - I'm sure countries like France, Spain, Italy, Greece, etc., would be interested to adopt such a system...

For every non schengen members it is mandatory with insurance throughout your whole stay. We know how much forum members enjoy discussion forced insurance here as well! So ?

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

I'm not sure it still works the same way, but in the past people arriving to Indonesia, Cambodia and Vietnam had to que up for a visa before going through immigration. In Thailand those who need visa on arrival have to que for a visa before immigration as well, and they still come.

As for the new tourists tax - we don't know yet how this will work.

Nothing works the same way for holders of passports issued from various countries. 
Your example of Vietnam, I traveled under a UK passport, walk through, visa exempt.

Opal was adamant she would be travelling under her New Zealand passport which incurred  three  attempts via digital format to finally get the Visa at a cost of 45US$.

I had told her she could be Visa exempt using her Thai passport, (selective deafness).

Any impediment that extends time clearing your point of entry is detrimental from a tourist point of view. 

The math says at Suvarnabhumi, processing would need to be 2 seconds per passenger to keep the flow (reduced pro rata by the amount of kiosks open for this "arrival levy collection").

10 kiosks gives 20 second process.window

20 kiosks would give a 40 second process window etc...

I envision longer queues than experienced by persons paying respect to passing of Queen Elizabeth II at Westminster Abbey.

Alternatives.

Pay in advance when purchasing ticket selectively.

Would be nigh on impossible by most overseas airlines as they have to abide by their National Laws & Consumer Laws which would be applicable covering discrimination etc...

I reiterate this appears to be a knee jerk reaction without any critical thought regarding consequence.

My 2 cents worth, (and I can say that as I am a slave to NZ$ economy).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Hummin said:

For every non schengen members it is mandatory with insurance throughout your whole stay. We know how much forum members enjoy discussion forced insurance here as well! So ?

I think the difference is, that tourists in Thailand won't get insurance for the 150 or 300 baht they pay.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I think the difference is, that tourists in Thailand won't get insurance for the 150 or 300 baht they pay.

I do not believe that kind of level insurance they have in mind, if any, suits me. Never travelled a day without insurance ever to any country, so for me, I just do not care. 

I look at the bigger picture when I choose to live here, not 300 bath tax when arrive and 700 when leaving, even it can be 5 times a year at most. 

This is not what I spend my energy on. I cant understand anyone can react to such small fee even we are aware of where the money is going. Most going to be administration a and for the kiosks (who is delivering the kiosks?)

Website solutions etc. The government already pay for the hospitals. 

On 2/15/2023 at 12:21 PM, Neeranam said:

Which country are you from? I'll bet they charge Thais a lot more than 300 baht for an entry to the country. 

Did you know Thailand is one of the easiest countries to retire to? 

When my wife flies into the US she pays nothing. 

Why do Thais pay 17% tax at Houston hotels when everyone else pays 6%?

She paid 4000 THB for a 10 year visa. Show links to the discrimination at Houston hotels. BS

Edited by bang saen guy
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

When my wife flies into the US she pays nothing. 

Why do Thais pay 17% tax at Houston hotels when everyone else pays 6%?

She paid 4000 THB for a 10 year visa. Show links to the discrimination at Houston hotels. BS

Is your wife Thai? 4000 baht is what a Thai pays for a 2 week holiday. Time we had some reciprocation and charge Yanks 4000 baht.

https://www.houstontx.gov/council/committees/qol/20160217/HotelOccupancyTaxBreakdown.pdf

Edited by Neeranam

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Is your wife Thai? 4000 baht is what a Thai pays for a 2 week holiday

https://www.houstontx.gov/council/committees/qol/20160217/HotelOccupancyTaxBreakdown.pdf

Thanks for the link but not discriminatory against Thais. My wife is Thai. Unless the cost has risen, application for a US tourist is 4000. Visas come in 1 or 10 year. 

15 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

Thanks for the link but not discriminatory against Thais. My wife is Thai. Unless the cost has risen, application for a US tourist is 4000. Visas come in 1 or 10 year. 

I don't think I said it was discriminatory. I meant that all foreigners going to US, and UK, and most other countries are taxed much more than 300 baht.

There is no visa on arrival for Thais to many countries that my UK passport gets in free. I guess there is always Russia and Turkey

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Nobody suggested that, perhaps you dreamed it! All I said was that the tourist tax is going to help offset unpaid hospital bills created by foreigners, surely that's simple enough to understand without getting confused and going off at a tangent!

figures please how many foreigners did not pay how many bills and the total amount of money...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/14/2023 at 7:58 AM, zzzzz said:

Wont make a hiccup at all, as no one will even know, as its included in the ticket, same as the departure tax has been for decades 

My ticket for arrival at the end of June, was purchased in December, 22.   
I will see what happens when I arrive.  

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Hummin said:

This is not what I spend my energy on. I cant understand anyone can react to such small fee even we are aware of where the money is going. Most going to be administration a and for the kiosks (who is delivering the kiosks?)

Nobody cares about the 300b, it's the extra time queuing up at these "Kiosks" waiting behind people who don't have Thai Baht so want to pay by USD, GBP, AUD, SGD, INR etc... etc... etc... or even worse with their credit card but they forgot to enable it for international roaming... CF waiting to happen. 

I already hate returning via BKK, so much so that in 2018 & 2019 when I was doing SIN-BKK every other weekend I paid 20,000b pa to Thailand Longstay Management for Fast Track access.

Make it 3,000b & use the extra money to put more immigration officers in the booths, just don't add to the already tortuous experience of arriving via BKK (Don't get me started on DMK, gave up on that Dump years ago). 

8 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Nobody cares about the 300b, it's the extra time queuing up at these "Kiosks" waiting behind people who don't have Thai Baht so want to pay by USD, GBP, AUD, SGD, INR etc... etc... etc... or even worse with their credit card but they forgot to enable it for international roaming... CF waiting to happen. 

I already hate returning via BKK, so much so that in 2018 & 2019 when I was doing SIN-BKK every other weekend I paid 20,000b pa to Thailand Longstay Management for Fast Track access.

Make it 3,000b & use the extra money to put more immigration officers in the booths, just don't add to the already tortuous experience of arriving via BKK (Don't get me started on DMK, gave up on that Dump years ago). 

Never had any problems arriving at BKK ever and I travel in and out frequently. If I suspect long que because of holidays, I used the Limousin vip service 1200 baht, but most of the time not much difference really from the other passengers. Still had to waith for the luggage.

Seriously we do not know how this turn out yet, but my best guess

I will buy my 300 ticket online before I arrive, not through a kiosk after landing.  

"A pessimist sees a dark tunnel. An optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel. A realist sees a freight train. The train drivers sees three idiots standing on the tracks"

Edited by metisdead
Odd formatting reset to normal.

On 2/15/2023 at 2:30 PM, ikke1959 said:

Neeranam If you are not informed don's say anything.. Everybody who stays in Thailand more than 180 days has to pay taxes.. so also retirees......Not only who has  a workpermit... and I know it for sure as I just paid my taxes last week... 

HUH? i have stayed in Thailand for over 330 days/year for the past 20 years,  Never paid any tax
not since they did away with tax clearance back in the early 90's