“Softening of demand after April” – Phuket hoteliers worry about bookings

webfact

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Quickest way to gauge the demand in an area is look at hotel prices.  For instance in Chiang Mai the tourist season is good but not great.   Presently it is supposed to the middle of high season but plenty of availability and some of the high end hotels can be had for $100 pre night.  In the past the same hotel would go for $200 to $300 per night.  Overall high season 2023 will be good but not even close to what it was like before Covid.  Like any recovery the road will be rocky and certainly not smooth.  

In mid January 2023 I got a single night at a hotel in the middle Nimman for $100.  This hotel had all the high amenities(big room with a bathtub and shower, modern gym, pool, sauna and a great breakfast buffet). 

Of course the best way to stimulate more demand is to add a 300 Baht arrival tax on all foreign air arrivals???###$ TIT.

When people pay 3,400 Baht per night for a hotel room, they don't care about an extra 300 spread over the course of their stay. Anyway, average room rate in the North during December is under 1,375 per night, USD 100 per night is very expensive.

https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/ReportPage.aspx?reportID=875&language=eng

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe they should study what tourists want in their holidays and what are holidays for......

If I come to Thailand on holiday.. I can't smoke my e cigarette, as the fine will huge...

I can't drink a canof beer on the beach at 15.00 as of alcohol restrictions,

Ican't drive a motorcycle, as my driverslicense is not valid here,

I will be scammed by taxis, waterski rentals, daily trips, pay extreem more to visit natioal parks. and because of the strong THB my holiday is extra expensive... Apart from that in my country the energy bill has gone up some times more than 200%, airline tickets are more expensive as there is a policy to discourage flying, because of the enviroment and many more things. In the meantime Thailand wants an extra entrance fee now of 300 THB for a country that can not fulll my relaxed feeling of a holiday...Yes tourists..........and the 50/50 payment of the Government for holidays.... seems good, but it will cost the Thai money too and where do have to that from every month???

• Like 2

TAT is redefining the tourist calender.

In addition to the traditional "High Season" and "Low Season" designations, they have recognized "Conscription Season".

TAT wants to send a delegation of 112 Thai generals to Russian Military
HQ to promote human wave strategies and advise on the conscription of young men.
Related;
Thai Airways has applied for more direct flights on the Moscow-Phuket route.
Immigration will be initiating a special "Duration of Conflict Visa" to Russian men of military age.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wazzupnow said:

wow an entry fee of 300 bht really? this is people making not coming to thailand

now days its the price of 3 small beers

this is what worries me more than an entry fee

all prices are up for everything 

a hotel under 1000 bht in BKK is no longer available 

but no problem they have great cannabis now witch makes all cities stink like Amsterdam

the quality tourist they wanted are here now stoned potheads instead of big spenders

that a way thailand keep it up

land of smiles? an ever lasting gazing smurk of stinky potheads you mean

What part of BKK are you booking hotels in I find there are quite a few.  Not 5 star of course but

Spring offensive has begun with Russia buildup of large amounts of troops entering Ukraine. Russian men will be needed to replace their own dead bodies and boost numbers.  Wondering if Putin restricts travel for many more men this year as he ramps up his putsch to try to overthrow Ukraine. Would this affect Russian tourist inflows significantly?

However, with sanctions around the world barring these unwanted Russians travelling to their countries, Thailand is one of a few still allowing them. And I doubt global sanctions will be lifted for a very long time.  This benefits Thailand tourism of course. 

Hard one to guess how numbers will be affected. 

5 hours ago, shackleton said:

I don't think the Tourist tax of 300 baht will make any difference for people travelling to Thailand and there is plenty of them coming Russians Chinese to name a few ????

The air fare is probably their biggest expenditure 

It's not that we can not afford the 300 Baht. It's much more the feeling of being scammed over and over again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Maybe they should study what tourists want in their holidays and what are holidays for......

If I come to Thailand on holiday.. I can't smoke my e cigarette, as the fine will huge...

I can't drink a canof beer on the beach at 15.00 as of alcohol restrictions,

Ican't drive a motorcycle, as my driverslicense is not valid here,

I will be scammed by taxis, waterski rentals, daily trips, pay extreem more to visit natioal parks. and because of the strong THB my holiday is extra expensive... Apart from that in my country the energy bill has gone up some times more than 200%, airline tickets are more expensive as there is a policy to discourage flying, because of the enviroment and many more things. In the meantime Thailand wants an extra entrance fee now of 300 THB for a country that can not fulll my relaxed feeling of a holiday...Yes tourists..........and the 50/50 payment of the Government for holidays.... seems good, but it will cost the Thai money too and where do have to that from every month???

Get a international drivers licenses and you can ride your bike.

The pent up demand due to Covid is drying up, so low season will be just that again.

Staff shortage and higher prices also don't help. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a number of visitors left somewhat underwhelmed by their experience. 

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, wazzupnow said:

wow an entry fee of 300 bht really? this is people making not coming to thailand

now days its the price of 3 small beers

this is what worries me more than an entry fee

all prices are up for everything 

a hotel under 1000 bht in BKK is no longer available 

but no problem they have great cannabis now witch makes all cities stink like Amsterdam

the quality tourist they wanted are here now stoned potheads instead of big spenders

that a way thailand keep it up

land of smiles? an ever lasting gazing smurk of stinky potheads you mean

Did you forget to take your meds?

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

Get a international drivers licenses

There is no international licence as such. It's an IDP  international driving PERMIT and it is only a translation, in several languages, of your home LICENCE. It is usually available from motoring orgs in your home country.

It is to be shown together with your home licence. If your home licence doesn't include a motor bike, then neither will your IDP

12 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

average room rate in the North during December is under 1,375 per night, USD 100 per night is very expensive.

I totally agree. Back in November, I stayed in a "hotel" in Phu Wiang (Khon Kaen Province) which was a collection of new villas in landscaped gardens. My villa was well appointed with all the usual facilities, with furniture and much decor designed in wood. In the morning, there was a choice of cooked to order breakfast - Western or Thai style - with as much coffee, tea and fruit juices, bread/toast etc. as you wanted. Total cost (including taxes) was 500 baht per night. Currently this is still the daily rate. Sadly I cannot name the hotel in case I am breaching bureaucratic Thai competition laws. No problems here with bookings, always busy throughout the year with Thais and foreigners.

stock photo:

Pruksa Garden Hotel, Phu Wiang – Updated 2023 Prices

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

17 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I stayed in a "hotel" in Phu Wiang (Khon Kaen Province)

Pruksa Garden. Certainly not villas. The typical bungalow resort you find in any thai provincial town. Note furniture is usually standard in most daily rentals. 

• Thanks 1