Expat stores

scubascuba3

52 minutes ago, Watchit said:

I notice Siamburi's seem to be pushing their overpriced pre-cooked ready meals. They also sell stuff in there that can be bought cheaper in Villamarket and Makro. 

Yep, some think they repackage food from Makro, i do wonder who buys food that is better and or cheaper in Makro 

39 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

But are they the same quality?  I'm more than happy to pay a premium for decent important western processed meals.  Long live the Expat Stores - couldn't do without them!

And now we have Greggs too!

image.thumb.png.1e4f3e9e8b0ba97279f3b94d4e27d637.png

image.png

Greggs range is a prime example. Check out their website

• Like 1

Canned Beans are silly priced here, not that I ate that much.   Wife buys fresh beans, and makes her own.   Offered to buy a pressure cooker, but she's not having any of that ????  Rarely eat baked beans anyway, and when bought canned, rinsed their vile sauce off, and made my own, just using the beans.

The other prepackaged stuff, photos of, rarely ate that krap when I didn't live in TH.  How do y'all get to our ages, and not know how to cook for yourself.  Retired, we have plenty of time.  Taste so much better and the other plus, usually much cheaper.

Somethings I'll buy, like puff pastry, as simply too much work to make.  Yogurt, since cost about the same to make.  Same with cheeses, since milk isn't exactly inexpensive here, and parmesan is hard to make, along with America cheese (not product), 2kg pack  Mozzarella is cheap enough, if buy a kg or 2 block.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, xylophone said:

That is the brand I buy and it does become scarce on occasion, but I always manage to find it somewhere!!

Good for you. I have been checking in all 3 stpres for 3-4 weeks and the whole range is out of stock in our area.

41 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Prime example of what?  Do you have a link to their website and is it relevant to buying their pies in Thailand?

The Greggs range is sold at Villa Market as are other products that are also sold at Siamburi's

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Variation on the English breakfast whinge. Unfortunate so many British seemingly can't adjust especially those ironically on holiday.

What do you breakfast on in Thailand? In my experience the locals eat the same thing for any meal. Fried chicken for brekkie, no problem, as an example. As for their version of an English breakfast, which is cold plastic ham and cold fried eggs, no thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

That price list will surely be due an update, cant buy Heinz beans or Branston beans wholesale for that price now.

5.50 GBP (225bht) retail for a Heinz baked bean six pack in ASDA.

Vs

480bht (for the same six pack in Thailand).

So not quite sure what you mean in your post.

Normally shipping across the world doesn't mean a 100% markup.

25 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What do you breakfast on in Thailand? In my experience the locals eat the same thing for any meal. Fried chicken for brekkie, no problem, as an example. As for their version of an English breakfast, which is cold plastic ham and cold fried eggs, no thanks.

Yes, there are some minor breakfast foods but all is game.

Cold pizza??

Usually just coffee. Possibly porridge if camping, noodles in city. Love noodles (clear soup) in the morning but yeah... could eat Phad Kaprow or anything available. Maybe a bit of bread at work.

Can't eat that heavy stuff in the tropics SFF lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

5.50 GBP (225bht) retail for a Heinz baked bean six pack in ASDA.

Vs

480bht (for the same six pack in Thailand).

So not quite sure what you mean in your post.

Normally shipping across the world doesn't mean a 100% markup.

Heinz has factories in China ... read them labels ????

"In 1999 Heinz (Qingdao) Food Company Ltd was founded to produce infant jar foods, as well as to produce and sell more than 20 categories of Heinz western sauces which are frequently used in western restaurants. Besides Heinz ketchup, Heinz western sauces include famous Heinz baked bean, Heinz white vinegar and Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

HP beans. 6 for B270 retail. As of 10/1/23.

Yeah, but this is now 20th Feb, last wholesale shipment into Thailand end of last week (from where this company buys) Heinz Beans are 91 Baht + Vat.

Edited by LennyW

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

image.png.91a1e9160d01d4da9c8fac58c7418187.png

Yeah, but this is now 20th Feb, last wholesale shipment into Thailand end of last week (from where this company buys) Heinz Beans are 91 Baht + Vat.

Edited by LennyW

6 minutes ago, LennyW said:

It's the updated price from their site, which you order from, so assume up to date.  You'll know before you 'hit submit & order'.

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Heinz has factories in China ... read them labels ????

"In 1999 Heinz (Qingdao) Food Company Ltd was founded to produce infant jar foods, as well as to produce and sell more than 20 categories of Heinz western sauces which are frequently used in western restaurants. Besides Heinz ketchup, Heinz western sauces include famous Heinz baked bean, Heinz white vinegar and Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce."

So they should be cheaper than the UK price if they come from China.

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not a big bean eating market where I am.  Just back from Makro, 2 brands, Brooks, and SW, no Heinz.  Few farangs here, though seen a lot of late.

You could always make your own ..... Makro sell dried white beans, 49bht for 500gm.

https://www.recipetineats.com/homemade-baked-beans-recipe-heinz/

beans.jpeg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You could always make your own ..... Makro sell dried white beans, 49bht for 500gm.

https://www.recipetineats.com/homemade-baked-beans-recipe-heinz/

beans.jpeg

We do, as wife cooked up 2 large pot of them the other day.  'Geez, got enuff honey'.  She actually got the hankering for baked beans, not me.  Too much work for me, without a pressure cooker, although, I'll help her eat 'em.

May have to steal some, make some chili, as not a fan of kidney beans.  Usually my chili is bean-less.image.png.bc0a2649be5e03d0b434f77a93c7ec3e.png  

Edited by KhunLA