Why are Thais unemotional at funerals?

RamenRaven

7 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Attended a 76 yr old friend's funeral at Wat Hua Hin in early December last year. Very sad but not a sudden death and he was sick for sometime. In the next room was the funeral of one the young ladies killed in the car crash on the Hua Hin train tracks a few days before. They were very emotional with lots of tears for such a tragic and avoidable loss. I've been to many Thai "funerals" and varying levels of emotion depending on the age and circumstances.

If it's a violent death, then yes.

But "just another elderly village person passing away" does not seem to generate tears. That would be unusual in the West, and typical Westerners might think you're a cold-blooded monster if you act like it's just another normal day, and talk about delicious som tam while your mother's burning body is spewing smoke everywhere.

Edited by RamenRaven
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, RamenRaven said:

Can someone explain how Thais view funerals?

10 minutes ago, RamenRaven said:

Another thing is that public display of strong emotions is frowned upon in Thailand. Public drama and histrionics are frowned upon. Everything is masked by poker faces and Thai-style smiles that are meant to show deference rather than happiness. You can't tell what they're really feeling deep down inside.

Seems by answering your own question you to the answer you wanted. 

1 minute ago, marin said:

Seems by answering your own question you to the answer you wanted. 

I know that Thais don't like acting out in public, but it's that no one seems to be genuinely upset at the funerals that I went to. I don't get that part.

When Thais are upset, they show that they're visibly upset by being silent and ignoring people around them. That didn't happen.

There's something about the Thai Buddhist perspective on life, the elderly, and death that is very radically different from what we're used to in the West.

It depends on how an individual person reacts to different situations.  And some people cry openly,  some cry alone.  
On Thai News there have been funerals and stories about people dying.  And many friends and family members are hysterical with grief. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Buddhist concept, it is as it is. I watched my father-in-law die last night (78) the children did their duty holding watch all night for a week, one daughter had to drive 500 km to be there. He died at home, no pain, no illness. The last two days he didn't wake up and then, very undramatic, he just stopped breathing.  Many people were there during the week making preparations for his death, laughing and joking within his earshot, all the villagers came and went. The room was crammed full when the monks came and did their chanting around the bed set up in the living room, the onlookers reciting when they should do. The monks had to come 3 times because, as his wife said, he was taking his time going. No tears were shed, his children were busy deciding which photograph to enlarge for the cremation service 10 minutes after his death, all very 'matter of fact'. I found it OK. What did disturb me was the lack of dignity when my wife and her sister changed his diapers in full view of whoever was present. A good time was had by all.

You nailed it. That's what I witnessed multiple times with funerals of elderly people.

The family members were all very dedicated and spent an incredible amount of time and money for funeral preparations. They all wanted to make sure that the funeral was properly carried out so that the deceased person's spirit could be in peace.

All very matter of fact, no emotional drama.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

BS ... where do you people come up with this krap.

Thais mourn just as much as everyone else, from loss of loved one, child, friend.

People are the same worldwide, losses are grieved, especially sudden, younger, unexpected more so of course.  To lose a child, I can't imagine and hope I never find out.

A wife, husband, partner, best friend you've loved for years, that's traumatic.   Older folks on borrowed time or diagnosed terminal, a bit easy to deal with.

I have to disagree with you. I've been in Thailand for 9 years now,  and attend on average 3 funerals per month in my village or the adjoining villages. When my partner's mother passed, not a single tear from her or any of the family members, privately or publicly. When I asked why no tears she said that the funeral was just another step in the path of life and that eventually the person would be reincarnated and that reincarnation form would depend on whether they had led a good or bad life and that reincarnation kept occurring until the person had lived a very good life and only then would their soul go to heaven.

The one thing I cannot fathom is the amount of disrespect shown at funerals. While the monks are doing their thing, the people sitting outside just carry on normal conversations and quite loud at that. The one thing I love about Thai funerals is there are no eulogies. I like this because that way you don't have people saying what a great person the deceased was when they were anything but.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

You can't tell what they're really feeling deep down inside.

I usually can - - and I have seen Western customs that are just as weird... and as mentioned above, these funerals go on for days and the all night card games are not meant as disrespect, more as keeping the family of the deceased company... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

The one thing I love about Thai funerals is there are no eulogies.

When my parents died my brother held some sort of roast type ceremony where people told funny stories and everyone was going to have a great laugh, surely often at the expense of the deceased. My mother, would have hated that. I declined to attend as I would have found it way over the line as to being respectful. 

But that was all part of their 60 is the new 40 psychobabble hip lifestyle. 

SIL died very suddenly last year, lots of tears at the funeral as it was so very sudden.

FIL died 2 months ago after a sick bed of well over 2 years with being bedridden for well over 6 months. Not a lot of tears on his funeral as the family was already prepared for it. 

So it depends 

• Like 2

I have been to more funerals in Thailand than I can possibly remember.

in general, there will be quite a few more people at Thai funerals that have little connection to the deceased than would be the case in UK for example.

The tears are often shed at events prior to the funeral itself (nearer to time of death) where  closer people involved will share their open grief. This allows for some level of "acceptance" that makes the funeral itself a little easier to bear.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1