Does fact checking matter to your opinions?

ozimoron

Does fact checking matter to your opinions?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 hours ago, save the frogs said:

the whole concept of 'credible link' is flawed / outdated / corrupt / useless / and or silly.

in the past, the internet didn't exist.

we ONLY had access to govt-approved sources of information.

if I ask you ... what is a credible link about retiring in Pattaya?

Is International Living Magazine credible? 

The answer is yes and no. It depends on which information.

They sometimes have to hide things to keep the money rolling in and not frighten some of their audience away.

So they may omit talking about the seedy side. 

Or they make not recommend the place as a retirement destination to avoid being associated with 'bar girls'. 

As they are a "reputable" source, there are certain things they are not allowed to discuss.

So in other words, for many aspects of retiring in Pattaya, a forum like this becomes more of a credible link.

Because people are anonymous and not trying to run a for-profit magazine, they can say what they really experienced living in Pattaya .. the good, the bad, and the ugly. 

Without fear of losing revenue. 

Of course some posters opinions are more reliable than others ..

But the concept of "credible link" is flawed.

If you wanted to retire in Pattaya, you would ideally read mainstream magazines for some general info, but you would get a more complete picture by also reading forums. 

People are using the internet but don't understand what it is.

Any reasonably intelligent person expressing an opinion is a potential credible link.

As the internet is a tool to empower anyone to get a message across to an audience.

Where that was not possible in the past. 

With regards to science, you can watch the film "Thank You For Smoking". They made it clear that the initial research into whether cigarettes cause cancer was funded by the Tobacco companies.

Credible links are not always credible.

And sometimes a nobody online can be a credible link.

I asked you about "Google won't have the small print on that." There was no mention in your post about "retiring in Pattaya".

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/24/2023 at 10:41 AM, SuperSilverHaze said:

Fact check is a tool of the woke. The fact check sites are run by lefties and funded by lefties.

I lost what little respect I had for TV AN during covid but the site is still woke. Ever wonder why members / posts drop to nill?

Hope the gay and covidiots, hapless Ukraine loser supporters can support the board bc normies, clear eyed people have had enough

"It feels cooler to say 'I'm not woke' than the truth, which is, 'I'm terrified of what I don't understand and I only know how to process that as anger because I can't look inward''.                            Sarah Silverman.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2023 at 8:50 PM, VocalNeal said:

Mugabe was elected as was Ayatollah Khomeini. No opinion, just saying.  

So were Winston Churchill and Ronald Reagan [no difference from those listed above].

Just saying....

34 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Truth is like black and white. Something is either true or not. There are no graduations. Truth is absolutely true or absolutely false.

One would like to think so but it is not difficult to invent something and for that something to eventually become a "fact" or "the truth". And if that "fact" spreads widely enough (and people believe it) other people could find a source for it, quote it and add a link to their post, claiming it is as true/a fact from a credible source. 

2 minutes ago, asf6 said:

One would like to think so but it is not difficult to invent something and for that something to eventually become a "fact" or "the truth". And if that "fact" spreads widely enough (and people believe it) other people could find a source for it, quote it and add a link to their post, claiming it is as true/a fact from a credible source. 

What people believe, understand or even know about has nothing to do with the truth of a claim.

This is interesting. 

"Does fact checking matter to your opinions?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results."

Does anyone else, not have permission to vote in this poll or see the results?  

Or is it just me?   ???? 

Edited by radiochaser
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 3:23 AM, BritManToo said:

I actually had 2x COVID vaccinations based on false information issued by the CDC.

Where can I apply for compensation based on their misinformation?

I had covid vaccination after I had covid so I could go to Thailand with my wife and other family.   

From what little I know, I should get the pneumonia vaccinations as pneumonia, twice, has nearly killed me in my adult life.  Whereas covid just made me moderately sick for a few weeks. 

On 2/24/2023 at 6:50 AM, NoshowJones said:

Right up into adulthood, I thought that The Yankee's were the goodies in the American civil war, maybe because the US Cavalry were always based as the good guys when I loved watching cowboy movies as a kid.

When I grew up and started reading the history, I realised that the north were the instigators and it was the Confederates who really were the good guys.

I would not call slave owners good guys!  I would not call people who hate someone merely because their skin is a different color than their own, good guys.   

One problem about that is, now days too many people believe that all southerners owned slaves, and that all southerners are racist. Only a small percentage of people in the south actually owned slaves and not all of the people in the south hated people whose skin was a different color.  

Both sides of my family were from the south.  One Louisiana and the other Alabama.  I lived in Louisiana for a good many years growing up.  My grandmother hated the klan.  I watched her one day come near killing one klan member with my grandfathers shotgun!   

I listened to klan members talk about their hatred of blacks and republicans.  They spoke gleefully about how they would hang them if they could.  Old hateful klan members.  They infected some of the people I grew up with.  Those old hateful klan members were democrat and continued to be democrat until they died.  The people I grew up with that were infected with that hate were democrats.   They still are democrats to this day.  They still are bigoted, hateful racists to this day!  

Excuse me.   A pet peeve of mine I guess.   Not liking people who are full of hate!

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 9:41 AM, save the frogs said:

there's a joke by comedian stephen wright. everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

do you have the time to fact-check everything?

also ... do you believe in 'intuition' ?

"Everywhere is walking distance" not so much  a joke more a very shrewd observation.

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

I would not call slave owners good guys!  I would not call people who hate someone merely because their skin is a different color than their own, good guys.   

One problem about that is, now days too many people believe that all southerners owned slaves, and that all southerners are racist. Only a small percentage of people in the south actually owned slaves and not all of the people in the south hated people whose skin was a different color.  

Both sides of my family were from the south.  One Louisiana and the other Alabama.  I lived in Louisiana for a good many years growing up.  My grandmother hated the klan.  I watched her one day come near killing one klan member with my grandfathers shotgun!   

I listened to klan members talk about their hatred of blacks and republicans.  They spoke gleefully about how they would hang them if they could.  Old hateful klan members.  They infected some of the people I grew up with.  Those old hateful klan members were democrat and continued to be democrat until they died.  The people I grew up with that were infected with that hate were democrats.   They still are democrats to this day.  They still are bigoted, hateful racists to this day!  

Excuse me.   A pet peeve of mine I guess.   Not liking people who are full of hate!

Back the days of the KKK they were all democrats but the Republicans bought the franchise around 1964.

13 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

I suspect you probably get a lot of condescention with those prehistoric views

I honestly don't care what those people think of me. Anything they please. That's the way the world is supposed to function.

Waiting on that side splitting Silverman clip

Edited by SuperSilverHaze

2 hours ago, radiochaser said:

Excellent post, but may I say that the vice president of the north also had a slave and released him just when the war broke out.

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Back the days of the KKK they were all democrats but the Republicans bought the franchise around 1964.

Then why was robert byrd hillary clintons mentor?  

"

When faced with the sobering reality that Democrats supported slavery, started the Civil War when the abolitionist Republican Party won the Presidency, established the Ku Klux Klan to brutalize newly freed slaves and keep them from voting, opposed the Civil Rights Movement, modern-day liberals reflexively perpetuate rather pernicious myth--that the racist southern Democrats of the 1950s and 1960s became Republicans, leading to the so-called "switch" of the parties.

This is as ridiculous as it is easily debunked.   "

https://newstalk1130.iheart.com/featured/common-sense-central/content/2018-05-01-the-myth-of-the-republican-democrat-switch/

Edited by radiochaser

54 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Excellent post, but may I say that the vice president of the north also had a slave and released him just when the war broke out.

Yep, there were northerners (Yankees to those from the south) that held slaves.  If I recall correctly, there was a black man that went to court to keep a man, another black man, as his slave, or something like that.   The court ruled in his favor and he kept his slave.   

Also, the Lincoln Emancipation Proclamation, if I recall correctly, only freed slaves in the civil wars, southern states.  Not in the northern states.   Sort of hypocritical ya might think. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

Then why was robert byrd hillary clintons mentor?  

"

When faced with the sobering reality that Democrats supported slavery, started the Civil War when the abolitionist Republican Party won the Presidency, established the Ku Klux Klan to brutalize newly freed slaves and keep them from voting, opposed the Civil Rights Movement, modern-day liberals reflexively perpetuate rather pernicious myth--that the racist southern Democrats of the 1950s and 1960s became Republicans, leading to the so-called "switch" of the parties.

This is as ridiculous as it is easily debunked.   "

https://newstalk1130.iheart.com/featured/common-sense-central/content/2018-05-01-the-myth-of-the-republican-democrat-switch/

It's utterly  delusional to assert that the party of racism is the democratic party these days.