Dilbert creator lashes out after papers pull his strip: 'Dicey situation'

Scott

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

trap?

I most certainly don't want Thailand to become woke. 

I said I would rather I was not discriminated because of my colour. 

I think that too is what the black peoples in the USA would like. 
Rather than to be Trolled by polls utilising tricky wording which is then used by fools and white supremacy groups to spread discord.  

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

trap?

I most certainly don't want Thailand to become woke. 

I said I would rather I was not discriminated because of my colour. 

Well, insisting that people don't use prejudicial terms and get educated about racial injustice is "woke" This is what DeSantis doesn't want to happen in Florida and what the right wing are constantly harping on about. Woke is nothing other than awareness and understanding of diversity and minority issues like teaching the REAL history of blacks and of LGBTQ issues.

Woke is an adjective derived from African-American Vernacular English meaning "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination".

Edited by ozimoron

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its been in the media that its perceived as racist for years

Here's how 'It's OK to be white' made its way from internet trolls to a vote in our Senate

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-17/origins-of-its-ok-to-be-white-slogan-supremacists-united-states/10385716

It’s okay to be White: laundering White supremacy through a colorblind victimized White race-consciousness raising campaign

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344010144_It's_okay_to_be_White_laundering_White_supremacy_through_a_colorblind_victimized_White_race-consciousness_raising_campaign

Perth city centre 'It's okay to be white' stickers condemned - BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-50821872

'This Is Completely Wrong': Racist 'It's Okay to Be White 

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/outrage-after-its-okay-to-be-white-sticker-planted-elementary-school/

"It's okay to be white" (IOTBW) is a slogan which originated as part of an organized alt-right trolling campaign on the website 4chan's discussion board /pol/ in 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_okay_to_be_white

The phrase "Black lives matter" also originates from an extreme group with violent tendancies. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its been in the media that its perceived as racist for years

Here's how 'It's OK to be white' made its way from internet trolls to a vote in our Senate

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-17/origins-of-its-ok-to-be-white-slogan-supremacists-united-states/10385716

It’s okay to be White: laundering White supremacy through a colorblind victimized White race-consciousness raising campaign

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344010144_It's_okay_to_be_White_laundering_White_supremacy_through_a_colorblind_victimized_White_race-consciousness_raising_campaign

Perth city centre 'It's okay to be white' stickers condemned - BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-50821872

'This Is Completely Wrong': Racist 'It's Okay to Be White 

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/outrage-after-its-okay-to-be-white-sticker-planted-elementary-school/

"It's okay to be white" (IOTBW) is a slogan which originated as part of an organized alt-right trolling campaign on the website 4chan's discussion board /pol/ in 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_okay_to_be_white

I wasn't  aware of any of that.

That seems to explain the poll results.

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I can't talk for the US, but in the UK I think more discord is being spread by the constant barrage of race talk in the mainstream media and by certain black celebs.

I think racial discrimination was fading away nicely over the last several decades. But I feel the current narrative is divisive. People even calling for reparations for things that happened multiple generations ago. How does that make a young black kid feel about his white peers?

This stuff just keeps the hate alive IMO. 

It was just kept in the fringe until Obama was elected and then white supremacist militias tripled in number. Trump essentially legitimised hate speech and suddenly it became ok to be racist.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2012/03/08/148217754/report-explosive-growth-of-patriot-movement-and-militias-continues

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, NextG said:

You should learn to read and comprehend before posting…

They are asking if you agree with the statement. That means many will perceive the question is with regard to the phrase itself. 
Of course many would have a problem with agreeing with a phrase adopted by neo-Nazis https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_okay_to_be_white

1* Do you agree or disagree with this statement:  It’s OK to be white”.

LOL. Everything is racist if one wants it to be, but to claim that the simple sentence "it's OK to be white" is racist is IMO barking.

Apparently some think just being born white is  a crime.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Everything is racist if one wants it to be, but to claim that the simple sentence "it's OK to be white" is racist is IMO barking.

Apparently some think just being born white is  a crime.

The comments made by Scott Adams on social media certainly were racist.

How about discussing those, are you even willing to accept Scott Adams comments were racist?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Correct, and I fully support his right to share his opinions.

And I encourage him to continue to do so. More Scott Adams, he can publish his cartoon, which is about as relevant as cave paintings at this point in time, on Twitter, he can stream online all day, every day. His voice should be heard, IMO.

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How about discussing those, are you even willing to accept Scott Adams comments were racist?

Given that many here choose to deny/deflect/obfuscate I'd say they want to avoid the whole point of this thread.

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

and the ok hand sign is.

What fresh nonsense is this?  An Ok gesture is racist as well now?   The narrative here should be that a significant percentage of black people in America take the view that it's not okay for people to be born with the immutable characteristic of white skin which is definitely, unquestionably, undoubtably a racist viewpoint, rather than the fact that a cartoonist put his head above the parapet and called this out for what this is - racism.   And giving the thumbs up or an ok gesture with your hand is as far from racism as I can possibly imagine something to be.    Are deaf people still allowed to use this gesture in sign language or are they all racists now?  This is how stupid it is to claim innocuous gestures or phrases are "racist".   

Maybe the self flagellating left wokies should reflect on how they have created this racial divisiveness in society today after decades of improving race relations and undoing all this progress.   I am pondering whether people on the left are as stupid as they appear to be or are exactly the thing they claim not to be and want to go back to a time where racism was commonplace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2023 at 12:22 AM, Jingthing said:

Dilbert man's free speech is intact. He can say or draw anything he wants. He can sell them on Amazon or through multi level marketing if he wants. But publishers have free speech today. They are under no obligation to publish anything they don't want to publish. Free speech yes. Freedom from consequences no.

Exactly, he is free to say what he wants. The publishers are free to drop him if he insults part of their public. Its just stupid to say stuff like this when you sell services. Part of the public wont agree and it will cause problems. This could impact the newspaper. He decided to speak out, the paper decided they did not want economic problems (loss of sales ect) and canned him. 

I have my ideas too about certain people but i wont tell those to my clients. I got a few highly religious clients. I wont tell them what i think of religion. That is bad for business and it does not impact how i treat them. But if i tell them im sure it wont be good. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

They were certainly racIAL, but not racIST.  He didn't say anything about blacks being inferior to whites, or any other group.  The survey he was referring to simply showed the sad state of affairs that overattention to minor issues has brought. The US is the least racist it has ever been, and is probably the least racist nation on the planet.  

Hard to call a country "racist" when a black person has occupied virtually every top job in it.  Any other nation G-7 or otherwise that can make the same claim?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, James105 said:

What fresh nonsense is this?  An Ok gesture is racist as well now?   The narrative here should be that a significant percentage of black people in America take the view that it's not okay for people to be born with the immutable characteristic of white skin which is definitely, unquestionably, undoubtably a racist viewpoint, rather than the fact that a cartoonist put his head above the parapet and called this out for what this is - racism.   And giving the thumbs up or an ok gesture with your hand is as far from racism as I can possibly imagine something to be.    Are deaf people still allowed to use this gesture in sign language or are they all racists now?  This is how stupid it is to claim innocuous gestures or phrases are "racist".   

Maybe the self flagellating left wokies should reflect on how they have created this racial divisiveness in society today after decades of improving race relations and undoing all this progress.   I am pondering whether people on the left are as stupid as they appear to be or are exactly the thing they claim not to be and want to go back to a time where racism was commonplace.

Calm down, I didn't know about this either but a quick search brings up the info, what makes you think its a case of "self flagellating left wokies"

From 2019

Its all to do with context.

On Thursday, the Anti-Defamation League, a Jewish civil rights organization, added 36 symbols to its "Hate on Display" database including the index finger-to-thumb sign that in some corners of the Internet has become associated with white supremacy and the far right, Oren Segal, director of the ADL's Center on Extremism, told NPR that for years on fringe online message boards such as 4chan and 8chan, the "OK" sign has been deployed in memes and other images promoting hate. 

"Context is always key," Segal said. "More people than not will use the OK symbol as just 'OK.' But in those cases where there's more underlining meaning, I think it's important for people to understand that it could be used, and is being used, for hate as well."

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/26/764728163/the-ok-hand-gesture-is-now-listed-as-a-symbol-of-hate

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Calm down, I didn't know about this either but a quick search brings up the info, what makes you think its a case of "self flagellating left wokies"

From 2019

Its all to do with context.

On Thursday, the Anti-Defamation League, a Jewish civil rights organization, added 36 symbols to its "Hate on Display" database including the index finger-to-thumb sign that in some corners of the Internet has become associated with white supremacy and the far right, Oren Segal, director of the ADL's Center on Extremism, told NPR that for years on fringe online message boards such as 4chan and 8chan, the "OK" sign has been deployed in memes and other images promoting hate. 

"Context is always key," Segal said. "More people than not will use the OK symbol as just 'OK.' But in those cases where there's more underlining meaning, I think it's important for people to understand that it could be used, and is being used, for hate as well."

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/26/764728163/the-ok-hand-gesture-is-now-listed-as-a-symbol-of-hate

So fringe online message groups now are the arbiters of what becomes a racist gesture, from an innocuous phrase such as "its okay to be white" or the even more ridiculous Ok gesture which has always and will continue to mean... Ok.   I have no doubt these groups see it as an amusing game to see what harmless gesture they can get the useful idiots to consider to be outlawed next.   

You can indulge in newspeak if you wish to do so if makes you feel virtuous, but this is a hard pass from me.  

4 minutes ago, James105 said:

So fringe online message groups now are the arbiters of what becomes a racist gesture, from an innocuous phrase such as "its okay to be white" or the even more ridiculous Ok gesture which has always and will continue to mean... Ok.   I have no doubt these groups see it as an amusing game to see what harmless gesture they can get the useful idiots to consider to be outlawed next.   

You can indulge in newspeak if you wish to do so if makes you feel virtuous, but this is a hard pass from me.  

You posted an emotional fueled rant without knowing the facts behind it, I provided them for you, apologies for the virtuous newspeak that you are now claiming I'm posting

Edited by Bkk Brian

3 hours ago, James105 said:

You'd need to ask the white supremacist groups why they adopted the OK hand signal in some childish group secret sign. The left can't be blamed for recognising it for what it is and calling it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

You'd need to ask the white supremacist groups why they adopted the OK hand signal in some childish group secret sign. The left can't be blamed for recognising it for what it is and calling it out.

I'm sure that white supremacist groups also use other phrases and gestures in common parlance too, such as giving a thumbs up, or asking someone how they are, or perhaps even commenting on the weather.   Does that make these phrases racist too, or is it just a simple and undeniable fact that words that are not racist continue not to be racist, no matter who says them.   

Since the numbers of white supremacists are so minuscule as to be irrelevant, I do not see why they should be given such power to be able to effectively trademark gestures such as the Ok gesture and claim it as their own.   Do you have links from white supremacist sites where they have actually claimed this as their trademark gesture - and what does it actually mean if it does not just simply mean okay - or are you getting this from some leftie controlled media who wish to introduce some kind of newspeak after being inspired by the works of Orwell?.    If you wish to avoid such commonly used phrases and gestures so you can appear "stunning and brave" to other like minded virtue signallers please do whatever you wish, but it will continue to be a hard pass from me.  

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, James105 said:

I'm sure that white supremacist groups also use other phrases and gestures in common parlance too, such as giving a thumbs up, or asking someone how they are, or perhaps even commenting on the weather.   Does that make these phrases racist too, or is it just a simple and undeniable fact that words that are not racist continue not to be racist, no matter who says them.   

Since the numbers of white supremacists are so minuscule as to be irrelevant, I do not see why they should be given such power to be able to effectively trademark gestures such as the Ok gesture and claim it as their own.   Do you have links from white supremacist sites where they have actually claimed this as their trademark gesture - and what does it actually mean if it does not just simply mean okay - or are you getting this from some leftie controlled media who wish to introduce some kind of newspeak after being inspired by the works of Orwell?.    If you wish to avoid such commonly used phrases and gestures so you can appear "stunning and brave" to other like minded virtue signallers please do whatever you wish, but it will continue to be a hard pass from me.  

The difference is that those other social gestures haven't been exclusively adopted by a single group, unlike the ok hand sign and the phrase in question. As I said, context is everything.

Links attributing the ok gesture and "it's ok to be white" (not coincidentally related) are plentiful on this forum. Why are you asking me for more?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The difference is that those other social gestures haven't been exclusively adopted by a single group, unlike the ok hand sign and the phrase in question. As I said, context is everything.

Links attributing the ok gesture and "it's ok to be white" (not coincidentally related) are plentiful on this forum. Why are you asking me for more?

If you actually read some of these links rather than just believing everything you are told by your fellow virtue signallers you would have seen the origin:

According to The Boston Globe, users on 4chan's /pol/ ("Politically Incorrect") board were instructed in February 2017 to "flood Twitter and other social media websites...claiming that the OK hand sign is a symbol of white supremacy," as part of a campaign dubbed "Operation O-KKK".[65]

So there you have it.   It was a joke.   You fell for "Operation O-KKK" started by a bunch of kids.   The lefty media - rather than holding their hands up and admitting they were played - decided to double down on this, claiming every time someone on the right made the gesture it was racist and of course anyone on the left that used it was using it as an okay gesture.   The kids who started this joke are laughing at you.   

Edited by James105
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, Lee65 said:

Idiots all.  

Is Barack Obama "black"?  Some say so.  Some say he is half-white.  Some say he was brown.  Some say he is not black enough.

Race-baiting is a distraction for the feeble-minded.  

In the American racial context Obama is black.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, James105 said:

If you actually read some of these links rather than just believing everything you are told by your fellow virtue signallers you would have seen the origin:

According to The Boston Globe, users on 4chan's /pol/ ("Politically Incorrect") board were instructed in February 2017 to "flood Twitter and other social media websites...claiming that the OK hand sign is a symbol of white supremacy," as part of a campaign dubbed "Operation O-KKK".[65]

So there you have it.   It was a joke.   You fell for "Operation O-KKK" started by a bunch of kids.   The lefty media - rather than holding their hands up and admitting they were played - decided to double down on this, claiming every time someone on the right made the gesture it was racist and of course anyone on the left that used it was using it as an okay gesture.   The kids who started this joke are laughing at you.   

Just because a gesture starts out as a joke does that then disqualify it as you have..............."so there you have it" ?

"The ADL says the OK symbol has become a "popular trolling tactic" from "right-leaning individuals, who often post photos to social media of themselves posing while making the gesture".

It started out as an online joke on 4Chan - taking an innocent gesture and pretending there was a hidden meaning behind it, hoping to trick the media and left-leaning people into outrage.

But the joke was so successful and widespread among the far-right, that many believe the OK sign is changing meaning.

The man accused of killing 51 people at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, earlier this year flashed the OK hand sign when he was in court."

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49837898

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Just because a gesture starts out as a joke does that then disqualify it as you have..............."so there you have it" ?

"The ADL says the OK symbol has become a "popular trolling tactic" from "right-leaning individuals, who often post photos to social media of themselves posing while making the gesture".

It started out as an online joke on 4Chan - taking an innocent gesture and pretending there was a hidden meaning behind it, hoping to trick the media and left-leaning people into outrage.

But the joke was so successful and widespread among the far-right, that many believe the OK sign is changing meaning.

The man accused of killing 51 people at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, earlier this year flashed the OK hand sign when he was in court."

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49837898

Actually it does.

The BBC fell for it as they are lefty plonkers.

The NZ guy fell for it as he is a brainless murdering plonker.

The people who continue to give credence to this joke are just a bit dim really.   The people on the right making this gesture are laughing at you if they are aware of the origins of this joke, or perhaps they are not aware of it's origins and are just signalling the okay gesture.   It's probably time to hold your hands up and admit you were played as part of "Operation O-KKK" by a bunch of kids.

21 minutes ago, James105 said:

Actually it does.

The NZ guy fell for it as he is a brainless murdering plonker.

The people who continue to give credence to this joke are just a bit dim really.   The people on the right making this gesture are laughing at you if they are aware of the origins of this joke, or perhaps they are not aware of it's origins and are just signalling the okay gesture.   It's probably time to hold your hands up and admit you were played as part of "Operation O-KKK" by a bunch of kids.

The NZ guy fell for it as he is a brainless murdering plonker

The BBC pointed it out but never mind.

The NZ guy is not a plonker, he's a murdering racist who killed 51 people and used the gesture in court, hardly a joke to anyone else (he may well be laughing inside), the relatives, fellow Muslims and those that are now associating the sign as racist when used in that context.

image.png.c013baba95281a8180d24f0e86be6b4f.png

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 11:11 AM, Jingthing said:

Nazis don't consider Jews white and many even most Jews don't identify as white either.

If a right-wing nut uses a stereotype to support an argument, they're a racist.  If a savior/guardian uses it, no problem ????

Being Jewish refers to the religion you practice, not your race.

On 2/27/2023 at 11:09 AM, placeholder said:

So many reflexively pavlovian right wing tropes on display here

Claiming that critics of Scott Adams believe they are "your intellectual and moral superiors" is just the kind of unproveable claim that the right wing consistently engages in. Are you a mind reader?

And another claim of mind reading. "Second, they don't believe you are entitled to any of your own OPINIONS, unless they agree with them.' So some class of comments shouldn't be criticized, and if they are, that means you reject the right for others to hold them? Such nonsense.

"Mao-inspired, post-modernist take on facts" Mao-inspired? Really, Because if there's one thing that the Chinese communist party and Mao himself believed is that ethical systems are just constructs with no connection to truth? How ignorant of the fanatically self-righteous Mao and Chinese communism does one have to be to make such a ridiculous claim.?

"Two wrongs make a right". First off, Rasmussen presenting the  poll as a valid survey of black Americans is false. It was a random survey (at least by Rasmussen's dubious methods) of all Americans. The problem is that while a poll of all members might have a margin of error of plus or minus 5%, a smaller subset, such as those of black Americans is far more likely to be wildly inaccurate.

There is also Rasmussen's openly right wing political stance to consider. Here's the opening paragraph of their press release about their poll

"Despite years of progressive activism, a majority of Americans still don’t buy into the “woke” narrative that white people have a monopoly on racism."

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/general_lifestyle/january_2023/not_woke_yet_most_voters_reject_anti_white_beliefs

And how is it relevant to this issue that more humans died under communist extremism than under fascist extremism? If anything is proof of the Pavlovian nature of your comments, it's how you were triggered to veer into irrelevancy..

Your comments smack of lots of resentment and very little sense.

It's perfectly ok to criticize Mr. Dilbert's nonsense, but it's also ok to not really care what a middling comic says about anything.  It's just his OPINION.  It's sort of like learning what a nutjob Tom Cruise is...but somehow I still like his movies.

It's always a joy to read how much the savior/guardians value their own knowledge and how their judgments indicate a superiority in any and all conclusions.  Rasmussen would not be my go-to source for survey information or polls, but your cancellation of them because they're 'right-wing' is just another example of self-proclaimed intellectual superiority.  NO ONE is paying you a penny for your opinions about anything.  Rasmussen has a quite few people paying for theirs.  

It's a fascinating insight into your mind that you can correctly see Mao's/CCP's fanatical self-righteousness, but not your own.  Hence, the comparison.