Phuket authorities introduce “red card” system for foreigners who break the law

webfact

It seems highly unlikely that this would actually be enforced. The Thai cops make bank setting up checkpoints and charging fines to foreigners either not wearing helmets or not with proper license. That money would go down the drain quickly were this system introduced and ACTUALLY enforced. It seems more likely that it'd be yet another stick on which to attach a carrot. Pay an extra bit of the fine and you won't be yellow-carded. 

Money is king and I've got suspicions that all of this nationalist blustering is just that; blustering. The boots on the ground know where the money's at, and they're smart enough (read: corrupt enough) to know how to use this to squeeze a bit more blood from the stone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

When you visit someone else's house do you behave better or worse than your hosts????

When I rent someone else's house, I don't expect them to spy on me.

But if it was all free, then I'd make more effort.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 2

Immigration Officer Praphansak Prasansuk has further stated that Yellow Carded miscreants will be required to wear a yellow wristband which are on order from Prasansuk Industries Inc.  

(Failure to comply will result in compulsory wearing of a yellow and red striped band which are in the design phase)

images (2).jpeg

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

So two convictions of riding a motorbike without a helmet can get you deported and blacklisted?

very unlikely, because not wearing a helmet isn't a crime.

It may be that the authorities are a bit nervous with the large influx of Russians so they are firing a warning shot across the bows? Whether or not tourists will be aware of this "policy" is another matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, chuang said:

What have Thais to do with it...Thai bashing again..Go home.

I think you misread this post and jumped the gun in your haste to insult the original poster.
He was comparing Thailand to China and asking if the next idea will be issuing social credits to Thais as they do in China. There was nothing contained that was bashing Thai people. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

And implement it in UK, Europe, USA...............all countries. Why not?

America already tried three strike laws and that didn’t work out for anyone, except private prisons

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Rig Pig said:

Do local Thai's committing the same "crimes" get similar treatment?

Why should they? It's their country, they are not the intruders, interlopers, disruptors. They have a right to hold outsiders to any standards they deem fit. How does YOUR country treat immigrants and minorities?

Edited by Jonathan Swift
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 observations   

a) This system is a 'regulation' imposed by local Authorities and therefore not a Thai Law. 

b) No information has come forward at all as to which offences attract a yellow card - nor when these regulations come into effect.

c) 'Punishment should fit the crime' comes to mind. If indeed not wearing a helmet leads to a yellow card being issued - akin you being blacklisted - the above adage obviously does not apply 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

I wonder how much will it cost Not to be issued with the red notice or to cancel one.

A  lot more than the yellow one because they will know they have you by the balls.

E.g. 10,000THB or Red card? Which would you prefer?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Things like visiting a house of ill repute to be with unclean women or men is clearly illegal yet happens everywhere.

Paying for sex by mutual consent isn't illegal in Thailand. It's illegal for a woman to actively entice or solicit payment for sex. That, now, is prostitution. But it's a little more difficult to prove, and police seldom go to the effort to collect real evidence and make an arrest. I don't know of any such case that resulted in a conviction in a court, nor do you.

So, nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Paying for sex by mutual consent isn't illegal in Thailand. It's illegal for a woman to actively entice or solicit payment for sex. That, now, is prostitution. But it's a little more difficult to prove, and police seldom go to the effort to collect real evidence and make an arrest. I don't know of any such case that resulted in a conviction in a court, nor do you.

So, nothing to worry about.

Perhaps I should have marked my post as SATIRE ?

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Well i agree same should happen in Australia too if you on a visa and you break the law like drugs or serious offences out you go  but as its Thailand just bribe the local cops and good to go out and play again. 

As, for the Thais fleecing you dry same should happen to them lol hell will freeze over  first 

Thailand is for Thai  simple as that 

Most deports will be Russian and Africans if it ever happens 

1 hour ago, Jackbenimble said:

a fair trial? I think this refers to minor offences, not Criminal Offences........so there wouldn't be a trial. Even if it is a money grab 9which it looks like it is) it might actually have a positive effect if it works.

What if you are accused of something you didn’t do by an ex wife’s new Bf ,who is rtp twice and you have children here , would that be a positive thing .

• Thumbs Up 1