Lack of insects in thai coastal cities

ArturGorbachev

Why there are no insects in cities like pattaya, bangkok, huahin, bang sarai, except cockroaches and flies of course and occasional wasps. Like i can see plenty of flowers around but no butterflies, no beetles, no spiders, no bees, no exotic ones like mantis..

Edited by ArturGorbachev
  • Haha 2

Bang Saray we have butterflies, bugs geckos (Chin Choke) way too many flys, small bees, and occasional bumble bee......right now looking for a Beneficial Insect house to put in backyard, Have not seen them and may need to make my own...

• Like 1

Oddly enough, there are hundreds of Geckos at my aunt's house in Louisiana.   I don't know how they survive the winter, but they are out and about all around the house eves and porch ceiling in the warmer days, at night.  Especially when the porch light is on which attracts the nocturnal flying insects. 

13 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

We have big gekos in the house. My question is <deleted> do they eat as I see lots of geko <deleted> on the floor?

The number of house geckos has reduced to a very low number this month. It's due to lack of food caused by the extremely dry weather the last 4 months. Most insects are susceptible to drought. I've seen quite a few dead geckos lying around the last few weeks. The mosquitos are still doing ok though.

11 hours ago, phetphet said:

The more humans and concrete, the less insect life. Apart from as you say, cockroaches and flies.

I live next to a big park, but still few insects and geckos. We're in drought conditions right now.

21 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

I guess no natural land, just concrete etc.

No Trees, plants, nothing!

But go just 5-10Kms out of town and there you have plenty of insect life etc.

You are either blind or have never been in Bangkok like the OP.

Loads of insects, trees, and plants. Also on average there are snakes reported every 15 minutes.  

10 hours ago, n00dle said:

I live in central bangkok in a house. It the wild kingdom out here dragon flies, wasps, bees, centipedes you name it. Occasional snakes, skinks and a <deleted> ton of different bird species.

Same here, kill about 100 mosquitoes on a daily basis but keep on coming.