Thailand heading the way of destitute Venezuela says "Tony" - he has all the answers

webfact

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

Sad to say it but Tony is right.

Thailand is heading for the meat grinder...

People and news has been predicting that for the last 50 years, they are going to be saying that for the next 50 years and at the end, govt still exists and control and life goes on, the country improves and the peons continue to complain and predict nonsense.

52 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

I've been hearing this for the 23 years i have lived here.....

so when you moved here Thailand was just coming out of the meat grinder lol

they are heading back in soon enough for another slice and dice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The South American country was left destitute after years of corruption and mismanagement.

If the barrack room boys remain in power for another term Thailand will be going the same way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bob smith said:

Sad to say it but Tony is right.

Thailand is heading for the meat grinder...

Well in my view I see it happening a little bit each and everyday, with the household debt climbing out of control, NPL's not being added to bank balance sheets, the government failing to ensure they are on top of the inflation.  The billions borrowed and the lower end of society out begging more and more. Tourism will be slowing down around the end of April.  Prices are skyrocketing for food and power in the west, and as we found out yesterday many corporate locations are laying off folks, which does have a knock on effect here.  I am sure some economic guru will be telling us the past few months are nothing to be concerned about.  A few of the families we have been assisting are preparing to move back to the provinces they came from as it is getting harder and harder to live in Bangkok and the jobs are not as available as they were before.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, rabiedabruce said:

Not at all a 'Tony' fan but the economy was very much better under him. The army are blindingly ignorant and useless.

I agree, but Tony was focused and made a motza!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

get rid of the nightlife and the industry, and rebuilt it from scratch, in the image of great purity of the "noble ones"

Purachai had all the bars close at 12 pm, even in Bangkok. Tumbleweed rolling down Silom and Sukhumvit. And THEN he brought in the 2 to 5 no alcohol sales. So 'Tony' may have been better at industry but none of them know anything about what tourists want and it's not all beer bars and karaoke. They are, after all, just a generation away from the swamp.

• Haha 2

Just now, Caldera said:

For all his faults, "Tony" was so much more competent in managing the economy than the current inept lot in charge that it hurts.

Who knows what Thailand could have achieved if the army hadn't meddled in politics! Now there's only debt and stagnation, what a depressing state of affairs. 

Indeed.  A sad state of affairs.  The military and banana coloured shirts have a lot to answer for!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Eh?

well 25 years was the asian currency crisis.. the baht devalued by >50%.. inflation on international goods was obvious the same.. Everyones assets were cut in half.. etc etc.. 

That devaluation kickstarted the budget Thailand and its been a good run since then but yes.. Hes right.. 25 years ago Thailand did suffer hard.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Indeed.  A sad state of affairs.  The military and banana coloured shirts have a lot to answer for!

Yet they never will, and this current group in power gave themselves a free pass from being prosecuted for any wrongdoings....I mean has article 44 really been canceled

Security law

But the leadership has virtually absolute power in Thailand. The government replaced martial law with a controversial security law known as Article 44. Described by critics as a “dictator’s law”, it gives Prayut unchecked power over all branches of government and grants him immunity from prosecution.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

well 25 years was the asian currency crisis.. the baht devalued by >50%.. inflation on international goods was obvious the same.. Everyones assets were cut in half.. etc etc.. 

That devaluation kickstarted the budget Thailand and its been a good run since then but yes.. Hes right.. 25 years ago Thailand did suffer hard.. 

Yes, i understand what happened in 1997, are you suggesting it's gonna happen again?

People predicted the end of Thailand during 2008 recession - NO

People predicted end of Thailand during red / yellow shirt circus in 2011 - NO

People predicted end of Thailand during Covid - NO

For whatever reason Thailand seems to 'keep on truckin'.

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

For whatever reason Thailand seems to 'keep on truckin'.

Access to consumer debt.. 

But that then is a drain of forward consumption.. Thailand will no doubt still be here and carry on muddling through... But it now has low growth, medium inflation, massive debt loads, and is incredibly reliant on a kind of strip mining tourism that is destroying the appeals and beauty it had. 

That isnt a cheerful picture. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

But that then is a drain of forward consumption.. Thailand will no doubt still be here and carry on muddling through... But it now has low growth, medium inflation, massive debt loads, and is incredibly reliant on a kind of strip mining tourism that is destroying the appeals and beauty it had. 

87% household debt is a hard thing to overcome....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

What do you think will happen then?

8 hours ago, 2baht said:

Is that why you chose to run away, Tony??? The army seems to think they can do a better job! ???? 

Well they have proven inadequate, incompetent at everything they have touched. One just has to look at the growth figures plus the Thai rankings which were all much better. I never liked him personally but he was the best for Thailand and still is. A foot not to all the fan boys out there please tell me of one single country in the world that prospered after a coup, just one?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Well they have proven inadequate, incompetent at everything they have touched. One just has to look at the growth figures plus the Thai rankings which were all much better. I never liked him personally but he was the best for Thailand and still is. A foot not to all the fan boys out there please tell me of one single country in the world that prospered after a coup, just one?

I generally agree, although whoever gets to run the country will pillage it! Running Thailand is the best scam there is!

• Thumbs Up 2