What Is Your Favorite Bank...

I opened my SCB account about 10 years ago.  At first they wanted to see a work permit to open one.  I explained that I was on a retirement visa and was not allowed to work but also needed a Thai bank account to stay here.  They had to call the main office and then opened my account.  There was some extra paperwork because of being an American citizen.

A couple of years after that I went to KTB to open an account.  They opened one very quickly and had very little paperwork to do.  But I was told because I was from USA they would not pay me interest.  They didn't want to deal with the extra reporting requirements the US imposes on them.

5 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I always preferred the Left Bank - Just walk away Renee...

ok - Kasikorn has been terrific for me

My UK bank has been terrific to me they give me credit card and a free overdraft up to 500 squid the first 250 squid is free,

Try getting that from Thai Bank, Thai banks are greedy money making machine nothing else nothing more.

OP … I use BKK probably because it was the only branch in town when I moved here. Opened an account at a different bank couple of years ago and was a bit of a hassle. Showed the manager the requirements to open account on their website… proceeded to call headquarters while in the bank…

was told it’s up to branch manager if they want to add requirements. 

My US social security is direct deposited at BKK bank. Note these direct deposits go into a special account with no ATM or Internet banking ( you can check balance and history). If you want to make withdrawals/ deposits you have to go to a branch personally. A hassle but not too much once a month when money is deposited go in transfer to another BKK account… .. don’t worry the second account is a breeze to open… 

Note if your address for US Social Security is Thailand you’ll need to submit “I’m alive “ form once a year. Form is sent via mail..

Edited by DJ54
Add

I have 2 @ Kasikorn ..  one for my immigration funds.. and a joint acct for the  Mrs. and I .... Fbar  filing is a $49 fee with H&R  Expat              but the  big $$ stays in the  US    and if /when you need some..  it's 7-11 seconds with Wise

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Best mobile app in the business..."   ?

...apart from BBL's, UOBT's, KTB's and Krungsri's.

Having used many, and seen almost all, and having worked on projects directly with KBank developers, I will say that in my opinion their mobile app is the best in the business.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AcuDoc said:

So should I just say forget it and go to another bank in Nawa, there are three and not give the the satisfaction of having and account with them... I've also heard if you open an account at a bank in Bangkok it is relatively easy.

I would try Kasikorn Bank.  Been with them for 15 years and have nothing but good things to say about them.  However I am in Bangkok where things are sometimes easier than they might be in the provinces.

8 hours ago, timendres said:
17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Best mobile app in the business..."   ?

...apart from BBL's, UOBT's, KTB's and Krungsri's.

Having used many, and seen almost all, and having worked on projects directly with KBank developers, I will say that in my opinion their mobile app is the best in the business.

I have accounts with all five and use them all regularly.  I find that the mobile apps are all as good as each other and that it would be a huge stretch to say that just one of them is "the best in the business".

Thanks every one for your advice... I decided on Bangkok Bank because it has a great rep, lots of branches including outside of Thailand and my job takes me around the world, I've been to 91 countries so far.

And there is a branch not far from me in Sakon Nakon where a friend banks. I went there this morning and it took all of 30 minutes and not one hassle or problem.... they were great and set up my account, debt card and online banking for me...

In the mean time this afternoon I got a call from SCB. After all the hoops they made me jump through after four separate tries each time saying I needed something else and saying every time all you need is this and come back... first with my marriage certificate, then Thai ID and Yellow Book then Immigration and then Proof of Income then saying we have to make a phone call and see if it is okay... it still wasn't enough... Today they said you cannot open and account unless you have a Retirement Visa and live here full time...

All I have to say to SCB is KMA...

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 6:36 PM, Kwasaki said:

My UK bank has been terrific to me they give me credit card and a free overdraft up to 500 squid the first 250 squid is free,

Try getting that from Thai Bank, Thai banks are greedy money making machine nothing else nothing more.

All banks are greedy... that is the nature of the business - - all of that free squid is just part of their tentacles to pull you in... overdraft protection is nice, but I have never written a bad check in my life... it's a small perk really. 

Bangkok Bank has the strongest balance sheet and is regarded as systemically important to Thailand, therefore, it is the country's safest bank. TBH their app is very good, it give me balances after every transactions and real time notification of all transactions, it fits my needs perfectly.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2023 at 4:01 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

All SCB branches have to get the ok from Head Office for new (foreigners) accounts, I tried ten days ago and was told that I needed a "certificate" from my embassy, everything else was ok and then they'd forward the application to get the final go-ahead, a formality.   Can't blame the staff for their bosses directions.

Thats a fairly wide ranging cutting comment on SCB.

Do you have this information in writing, or perhaps you had a bad experience?????????

Edited by Lucky Bones
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

All banks are greedy... that is the nature of the business - - all of that free squid is just part of their tentacles to pull you in... overdraft protection is nice, but I have never written a bad check in my life... it's a small perk really. 

You miss my point which was my Thai bank is OK but don't offer the same kind of service.

No big deal but my UK bank being more flexible has helped at times.

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

You wont be able to use the UK branch because it doesn't have a retail banking license, it's there solely for commercial reasons.

Thanks for that nice to know, I must have miss heard that it could be used for transferring funds from its UK branch to Bangkok branch.

Maybe it can but as you say only for business use. 

On 3/8/2023 at 1:41 PM, jensmann said:

Kasikorn. 

Have 3 accounts. All easy incl international transfers in and out.

My social get in there in a minute. They provide all immi papers with no problems etc.

And I have exactly the same with Bangkok Bank, are these not normal banking functions?

Back in 1987 I started coming here fairly often on business trips and decided to open a bank account because I planned on being based here later.  I walked out of the hotel I was staying in and saw a Thai Farmers Bank branch across the street, so I went over and opened an account.  No questions about work permit or visa type back then.  When I came out of the bank with my new passbook and looked across the road, the first thing I saw was a Bangkok Bank branch next door to the hotel, on it's right hand side.  I'd turned left to get to the pedestrian bridge and hadn't seen it, so I could just have easily had a Bangkok Bank account for 36 years.  However, in that time I've seen no reason to change to another bank, though the name has since changed to Kasikorn Bank, and that branch is no longer there.  I find that the branch I moved to, and others I deal with are very efficient and friendly.

I'd add that, I have bank accounts in Australia, Singapore, Thailand and the Isle of Man, and the personal banking apps of my Thai and Singapore banks are lightyears ahead of the clumsy, horrible things the Aussie and IOM banks provide.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks for that nice to know, I must have miss heard that it could be used for transferring funds from its UK branch to Bangkok branch.

Maybe it can but as you say only for business use. 

I'm 99% sure that they stopped that funds transfer pass through arrangement but I'm 100% certain you can't transact at the branch.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have an account with both Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn. I find Kasikorn better with the app and less paperwork when you need to change details. But one thing I have never really understood is why you have to pay for a ATM card every year? It's like 300 baht a year and you are charged that even if you don't get a new card. In my home country of Australia, all my ATM cards are free, all the time, even on renewal.

10 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:
On 3/8/2023 at 4:01 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

All SCB branches have to get the ok from Head Office for new (foreigners) accounts, I tried ten days ago and was told that I needed a "certificate" from my embassy, everything else was ok and then they'd forward the application to get the final go-ahead, a formality.   Can't blame the staff for their bosses directions.

Thats a fairly wide ranging cutting comment on SCB.

Do you have this information in writing, or perhaps you had a bad experience?

What?

It was not a "cutting comment", neither was it "wide-ranging", neither was it a "bad experience", it was very specific and was just a description of a personal experience at an SCB branch in Bangkok a few weeks ago when I attempted to open an account there.   I do not have it in writing (why should I?) but the clerk did and showed the bank's official requirements to me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What?

It was not a "cutting comment", neither was it "wide-ranging", neither was it a "bad experience", it was very specific and was just a description of a personal experience at an SCB branch in Bangkok a few weeks ago when I attempted to open an account there.   I do not have it in writing (why should I?) but the clerk did and showed the bank's official requirements to me.

Right. So we got that sorted.

It was a personal experience.????????

2 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:
21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What?

Right. So we got that sorted.

It was a personal experience.

There was nothing to be "sorted", it was obvious from my comment that what I was posting was a personal experience, I said as much in the original comment.