China’s new foreign minister warns of certain US-Chinese war if Washington fails to reverse course

webfact

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Escalating war in Ukraine could trigger a Chinese grab for Taiwan as the United States turns the economic screws on Beijing and tries to engineer a two-speed world economy by isolating authoritarian countries under its new Indo-Pacific framework.

What does a two-speed world economy look like for the average citizen?

45 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Djibouti is one, Cambodia is another.  They are attempting to establish one in the Solomon Islands.  And the sovereignty of the artificial islands in the South China Sea are in dispute.  The Belt and Road Initiative has given the Chinese a foothold in Sri Lanka and Pakistan and other Central Asian countries.

good to know, I have to update.

Now compare that many chinese to that many of the usa

16 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

What does a two-speed world economy look like for the average citizen?

The East operating to its own economic and trade framework and growing at one speed whilst the West is operating to a different set of rules, and growing at a different rate of knots.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

China are the aggressors.  Everyone else wants to be left alone, China wants to invade them, America wants to stop them.

Everyone fighting for the same limited resources to continue have economic  growth! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

The East operating to its own economic and trade framework and growing at one speed whilst the West is operating to a different set of rules, and growing at a different rate of knots.

So higher prices for consumers all round.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

So higher prices for consumers all round.

I'm not sure. We currently have several regional trade groups that operate by different rules. NAFTA covers the America's whilst an up and coming one in Asia involves East Asian countries, China, Japan and Australia. Europe of course has its own trade group in the EU. This is a step down from total globalization, one of the purposes of the Asian trade group is to avoid using USD as a means of settling trade bills. I do think Asia wants to get away from Dollar dominance and part of that means not allowing US control of the region. It's complex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm not sure. We currently have several regional trade groups that operate by different rules. NAFTA covers the America's whilst an up and coming one in Asia involves East Asian countries, China, Japan and Australia. Europe of course has its own trade group in the EU. This is a step down from total globalization, one of the purposes of the Asian trade group is to avoid using USD as a means of settling trade bills. I do think Asia wants to get away from Dollar dominance and part of that means not allowing US control of the region. It's complex.

I would say green energy will take a huge hit just from the amount of mining products foundry's in China. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It does appear as if China eventually wants war with not only the US, but most of the Pacific region. They appear to want to regain the dominance and glory they experience in the long distant past. Their belligerence and arrogance knows no end. Xi is a vicious, megolamaniacal madman. 

The real problem for them, is the lack of a long range navy, and deep sea ports. Few nations (for now, anyway) seem to want to offer them the ability to re-supply or refuel, anywhere. I don't thing they are considered a reliable ally. 

The lack of visible, publicly available evidence of Chinese basing progress in Africa has fueled skepticism, with some commentators suggesting that concern about such basing efforts is overblown. This is understandable, but it overlooks the secretive nature and substantial timelines associated with these diplomatic and military negotiations. One just has to look closely enough and understand that China has a patient, long-term approach to achieving its global military ambitions.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/08/16/china-military-bases-africa-navy-pla-geopolitics-strategy/

Feel sorry for the Aussies they got most of their export to China banned or a high tariff applied 

• Like 2

On 3/11/2023 at 3:01 AM, webfact said:

China’s new Minister of Foreign Affairs Qin Gang has stated bluntly that unless the United States changes its policy towards China, then war between the two countries is inevitable.

We'll look for you on the field.  You'll be shown no quarter.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Hummin said:

Thailand and Philippines? Can we be sure which side they will take in a real conflict? Vietnam, cambodia and laos? 

Vietnam, Cambodia & Lao to Red CN. Thailand & Philippines hang on to neutrality long as possible. And the collapse there of will depend on who is feared the most.

Edited by novacova
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 7:25 AM, spidermike007 said:

It does appear as if China eventually wants war with not only the US, but most of the Pacific region. They appear to want to regain the dominance and glory they experience in the long distant past. Their belligerence and arrogance knows no end. Xi is a vicious, megolamaniacal madman. 

The real problem for them, is the lack of a long range navy, and deep sea ports. Few nations (for now, anyway) seem to want to offer them the ability to re-supply or refuel, anywhere. I don't thing they are considered a reliable ally. 

The lack of visible, publicly available evidence of Chinese basing progress in Africa has fueled skepticism, with some commentators suggesting that concern about such basing efforts is overblown. This is understandable, but it overlooks the secretive nature and substantial timelines associated with these diplomatic and military negotiations. One just has to look closely enough and understand that China has a patient, long-term approach to achieving its global military ambitions.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/08/16/china-military-bases-africa-navy-pla-geopolitics-strategy/

"There are roughly 750 US foreign military bases; they are spread across 80 nations! After the U.S is the UK, but they only have 145 bases. Russia has about 3 dozen bases, and China just five. This implies that the U.S has three times as many bases as all other countries combined."  How Many US Military Bases Are There in the World? (thesoldiersproject.org)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Sorry to be the odd man out but I do think most people think that Taiwan belongs to China, just like Hong Kong does. You of course will disagree which is your right. But I wonder what other countries would do if the roles were reversed. My feelings are that the US is pushing the Taiwan sovereignty  issue because it can and because it attempts to demonstrate superiority to China and convey that the US police are keeping watch.  

I'm off to HomePro now, back in a couple of hours.

I'm almost with you, certainly if the UK can defend its sovereignty of the Falklands then why not?  My main question though is what does China expect to gain from 'claiming' the territory. 

I'm not that great a history buff to question China's interest in Taiwan, only that after WW2 the island was places under Chinese Governance. So at some point the Taiwanese had that 'forced' on them so on that basis it could be argued Taiwan should have the benefit of independence.  

Isn't politics such a wonderful contribution to humanity.

FOOTNOTE...a nice country to visit, Taiwan that is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 300sd said:

China has been selling it's US government debt big time since 2021. If a country was going to go to war with the US, that is what they would be doing.

China has been selling US debt in order to diversify its holdings hence reducing its risk, not because it plans to go to war with the US!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, novacova said:

Vietnam, Cambodia & Lao to Red CN. Thailand & Philippines hang on to neutrality long as possible. And the collapse there of will depend on who is feared the most.

Or most beneficial and have the best future prospects for cooperation.

3 hours ago, novacova said:

Actually I do believe that the CCP / PLA is quite wary of upsetting Vietnam. They remember the mess in 1979 when the Vietnamese not only refused to roll over (as the USA had already learnt), but actually gave the superior force a good kicking and therefore humiliation.

some parallels here with the mighty Russian army and the "special military operation" in smaller weaker neighbor Ukraine....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

Actually I do believe that the CCP / PLA is quite wary of upsetting Vietnam. They remember the mess in 1979 when the Vietnamese not only refused to roll over (as the USA had already learnt), but actually gave the superior force a good kicking and therefore humiliation.

some parallels here with the mighty Russian army and the "special military operation" in smaller weaker neighbor Ukraine....

I truly believe China main goals is the make the neighbors friends, giving them opportunities they can not turn down. Also seen history in retrospect, what is left with the forced friendship with the west except economic rise and technology? 

Most countries shed blood and the young generations wasted after ww2 and the post wars in the region. 

Japan is the only and maybe strongest Allie in the region, the rest is tired of the control and influence. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

Well from this perspective, it appears we’re heading toward a foggy convoluted mess (eventually) where after all is said and done will be sorted by history. Many forget that history tends to dictate the future and that human nature hasn’t changed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I truly believe China main goals is the make the neighbors friends, giving them opportunities they can not turn down. Also seen history in retrospect, what is left with the forced friendship with the west except economic rise and technology? 

Most countries shed blood and the young generations wasted after ww2 and the post wars in the region. 

Japan is the only and maybe strongest Allie in the region, the rest is tired of the control and influence. 

Actually, quite false. Chinese aggressive stance in the South China sea has alienated its neighbors and made them much more receptive to US overtures. And India is alarmed by China's aggression on the Sino Indian border. Your comments are way out of date..

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Actually, quite false. Chinese aggressive stance in the South China sea has alienated its neighbors and made them much more receptive to US overtures. And India is alarmed by China's aggression on the Sino Indian border. Your comments are way out of date..

We can only hope China have learned something in retrospective from Usa and Russias/Soviet influence in their regions, and how that failed, and will use other methods to reach their goals. 

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

"There are roughly 750 US foreign military bases; they are spread across 80 nations! After the U.S is the UK, but they only have 145 bases. Russia has about 3 dozen bases, and China just five. This implies that the U.S has three times as many bases as all other countries combined."  How Many US Military Bases Are There in the World? (thesoldiersproject.org)

Correct. Though China has more boats, the US boats are far superior than the Chinese junk, and they are long range. China would be wiped out quickly in a naval battle with the US, or even the UK. 

Which means they would have to resort to alternative means to win, such as hacking and cyber warfare. Nuclear is off the table. Only Putin would be crazy enough to try, and it would be the end of Russia.