'We're asking for help to bring our boy home to Manchester so he's not alone as he fights for his life'

webfact

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Just saw on TNT and he quoted another source saying the victim himself ploughed into a pickup riding without helmet..  yet the OP in this thread said the pickup ploughed into him. The details seem to have varied in the passing of time and I am perplexed why!

This ploughing pickup, Did it stay on scene or did it flee.

Or is it a mythical pickup that is the figment of ones imagination ?

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

Bangkok has one of the lowest road death rates in Thailand.

That's not too surprising, as stated, helmet law is enforced a bit more, and unless on the highway, which small scooters aren't allowed on, then hard to build up any speed in gridlock half the day to do much damage.

Aside from any accident injury, I'd hate to drive around in the exhaust, as that's nauseating.

32 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Just saw on TNT and he quoted another source saying the victim himself ploughed into a pickup riding without helmet..  yet the OP in this thread said the pickup ploughed into him. The details seem to have varied in the passing of time and I am perplexed why!

As I’ve been saying since the first day, there does not appear to be any police report about this tragedy. The only reports have come from his family and have been continually recycled and repeated. They first reported that he had been ploughed into by a speeding pick-up truck; then on their GoFundMe page they said it was a drunken driver, but we have nothing from the police or any witnesses to verify any of this.

In fairness to the family, they must be devastated, and in trying to raise funds, would probably want to say he was an innocent victim, and not in any way culpable for his situation, apart from not wearing a helmet, which they state. Very sad story whatever his culpability, and interesting, but not surprising, to hear that a different version of events is appearing 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, well at Great Risk to the Management ... I will just throw my Hat in to the ring here as I leave this thread. …  ( <Deleted> 16 Pages now ! ? ) ... Well it IS a subject that IS Important to us all, especially if we Like this fellow, have some times of Great Trouble also !  …

So well pretty good to Read the answers all presented here also.

… But well, if it was a Real Truck, that hit him (And I see here people reading other sources that say it was not and then HE hit a Pickup ??? …. But if it was an 18, 10 or 6 wheeler, … I do not think that it would be very likely that the driver would necessarily have been Drunk. ! ? ...

And I am pretty sure that the other Drivers would grass to the company, on any one who was driving drunk also. … As well they would not want to drive smelly, and run down sort of Alco ridden trucks, that Drunks would leave behind for them ! ... Like we all know how Clean Thais do like to be

So the one in the Pattaya Accident possibly has changed hands already ??? …

And the driver was Probably NOT drunk either. It was just dark, and the silly fellow from Manchester ? had stopped in the wrong place, with out thinking to talk with his girl Friend, … and without looking behind him ??? … or as the other news seems to have said, HE hit a Pickup. ? (While he was talking on his Phone ? ... ? )

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic personal rambles removed
  • Confused 3

12 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

out on the <deleted> until the wee hours.

crappy looking tough stickers.

5 kids by 32 most likely to different mothers.

One would have to be bonkers to think this lad is innocent

Well, I think most posters on here believe that he bears a huge burden of responsibility for the situation he is in; I was just trying to show some understanding and empathy for the family thousands of miles away.

However culpable, he is his mother’s son, and she must be distraught.

Donations to GoFundMe have now raised 21,000 pounds (865,000 baht) in an attempt to rush a badly-injured Brit back to the UK. Jay Bridgehouse, 32 and from Stockport, was badly injured after his motorbike ploughed into a truck on the Thai island of Koh Samui. 

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/crowdfunding-raises-hopes-for-british-tourist-on-life-support-in-thailand-426729   14MAR2023

5 hours ago, Thomas KH said:

There are certain people, albeit not that many, who can make a life-changing difference in this young man's life via their banking app or with a single stroke of a pen. For some, it won't even make a dent in their disposable income, let alone their ROI.

If I had enough financial reserves to last me a hypothetical two lifetimes, I wouldn't hesitate to cover all costs. 

Unfortunately, it's likely too late for anyone to make a life-changing difference in this young man's life. 

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

But at least in the US, I believe it is much more likely a claim would be filed. No one is pushing their bike over to a shop that straightens it out for 200 baht. 

I do not put much stock in one guys estimate, but the only reason I asked was that all the beds were full of motorcyclists. 

The normal  procedure in  the event of any RTI is thatsomeone involved the very first thing they do install the insurance company.

This is done even before police and ambulance.

Of other parties are not insured they are likely to have the insurance company on there backs to pay anything they owe.

This has registered the accident.

If all parties Gree that no claims will be made then this may not register.....but this is the same in any country.

Why would those involved not claim...whether vehicle damage or healthcare you still have to pay.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

The normal  procedure in  the event of any RTI is thatsomeone involved the very first thing they do install the insurance company.

This is done even before police and ambulance.

Of other parties are not insured they are likely to have the insurance company on there backs to pay anything they owe.

This has registered the accident.

If all parties Gree that no claims will be made then this may not register.....but this is the same in any country.

Why would those involved not claim...whether vehicle damage or healthcare you still have to pay.

Not including being clipped and them not stopping, I've been involved in two accidents with motorcycles in Thailand, both in Bangkok,

The first was on Sukhumvit between On Nut and the Trad Road headed downtown. I was stopped in the rightmost lane, and my front wheels were cocked sharply to the left. Apparently, dudes' foot-peg clipped my front wheel and he went down hard and took quite a tumble. His bike was a little bent, and my wheel had a gash in it, but he was pretty much okay and we went our separate ways. 

Another time, I was driving on a Lat Krabang soi out by the ring road at night, and as I was making a right turn into a parking lot, dude with no lights and his old lady on the back tried to pass me on the right. He clipped my front fender and went down. I had a scrape on the fender, he, his wife and the bike were skinned up pretty good, but the bike started and again, we parted ways. 

Unless there is significant damage or injury, there is not a lot of point in contacting the insurance, 

Once on I was crawling in heavy traffic on Lat Krabang and a bike clipped my mirror and kept going.  The mirror insert popped out of the mirror assembly and landed in the road. Another guy on a bike stopped and picked up the mirror insert and handed it to me through the window. I popped back in and has been fine since. 

8 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Even fathers are allowed holidays, and how do you know he intended to teach english?   Do you have special powers....Please

Ok, so i dont know what type of job he was looking for, anyways, fathers have are allowed holidays too, but if you are a father you have to think about your responsebilty in life and not put yourself in dangerus situations like drunk driving in Thailand.

So all my point are valid, i dont know why you defending his actions.

28 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Not including being clipped and them not stopping, I've been involved in two accidents with motorcycles in Thailand, both in Bangkok,

The first was on Sukhumvit between On Nut and the Trad Road headed downtown. I was stopped in the rightmost lane, and my front wheels were cocked sharply to the left. Apparently, dudes' foot-peg clipped my front wheel and he went down hard and took quite a tumble. His bike was a little bent, and my wheel had a gash in it, but he was pretty much okay and we went our separate ways. 

Another time, I was driving on a Lat Krabang soi out by the ring road at night, and as I was making a right turn into a parking lot, dude with no lights and his old lady on the back tried to pass me on the right. He clipped my front fender and went down. I had a scrape on the fender, he, his wife and the bike were skinned up pretty good, but the bike started and again, we parted ways. 

Unless there is significant damage or injury, there is not a lot of point in contacting the insurance, 

Once on I was crawling in heavy traffic on Lat Krabang and a bike clipped my mirror and kept going.  The mirror insert popped out of the mirror assembly and landed in the road. Another guy on a bike stopped and picked up the mirror insert and handed it to me through the window. I popped back in and has been fine since. 

Which would be the same anywhere 

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That's not too surprising, as stated, helmet law is enforced a bit more, and unless on the highway, which small scooters aren't allowed on, then hard to build up any speed in gridlock half the day to do much damage.

Aside from any accident injury, I'd hate to drive around in the exhaust, as that's nauseating.

It is the lack of speed that reduces the impact of collisions.

Helmets only protect glancing blows but that can be enough to save a life. If you disregard sped, it is the drop from sitting on a bike to road height that can cause the most damage.

Imagine standing up and just falling flat on you face with any protection.

1 hour ago, ketilnm said:

Ok, so i dont know what type of job he was looking for, anyways, fathers have are allowed holidays too, but if you are a father you have to think about your responsebilty in life and not put yourself in dangerus situations like drunk driving in Thailand.

So what are you saying should happen now?

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

But at least in the US, I believe it is much more likely a claim would be filed. No one is pushing their bike over to a shop that straightens it out for 200 baht. 

The cost is relative, but those claims you refer to don't involve injuries, minor, serious or fatal.....these are the ones that would register as statistics anywhere including Thailand.

Remember, Thailand has the sane number of crashes as the UK.

Edited by kwilco

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I'm more perplexed that you are perplexed.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ketilnm said:

I choose to keep an open mind, especially when, like you , i don't know all the facts. 

Just now, Bday Prang said:

I choose to keep an open mind, especially when, like you , i don't know all the facts. 

I feel for the guy, but clearly coming to Thailand for holiday with virtually no money and five kids at home seems a bit selfish. 

I wish him all the best. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I feel for the guy, but clearly coming to Thailand for holiday with virtually no money and five kids at home seems a bit selfish. 

I wish him all the best. 

"Virtually no money"   where did the OP specify how much money he arrived with?  Maybe he couldn't bring the kids, It didn't say how old they are, but if there are 5 of them, its probable at least some will be of school age

13 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

"Virtually no money"   where did the OP specify how much money he arrived with?  Maybe he couldn't bring the kids, It didn't say how old they are, but if there are 5 of them, its probable at least some will be of school age

He can't pay a 10K hospital bill and left his family begging.  

I remember my dad going on vacation without us once, it was for a three day fishing trip with half a dozen other neighbor men. 

Edited by Yellowtail
text

10 hours ago, kwilco said:

Random breath testing is illegal in many countries but they still manage the lowest DUI rates....   in the UK the police can stop you at any time and ask you to take a breath test ('breathalyse' you) ONLY  if: they think you've been drinking. you've committed a traffic offence. you've been involved in a road traffic accident. So they must have a reason.

Its all a bit tongue in cheek really isn't it ?   Its so easy for them to say you were driving erratically, and there would be no chance of appealing a conviction based on one alleging that there was no real reason  to have been stopped and breathalysed in the first place, Once you have "blown red" its pretty much game over

14 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

That's because he came with no insurance, I doubt many would bring 10k for a holiday.

He did not even have it in the bank, or (again) his family would not have to be begging. He was also (apparently) unemployed. It seems selfish me, it doesn't to you, whatever. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

He did not even have it in the bank, or (again) his family would not have to be begging. He was also (apparently) unemployed. It seems selfish me, it doesn't to you, whatever. 

Just like you, I  don't know how much money he has or had in the bank, or whether he was unemployed or not, So in the absence of any reliable or credible info  It is not my place or yours to judge him,   The fact that you are so quick to label him as selfish leads me to think you are indulging in a little virtue signalling

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

How is he getting treated if he is broke?

Is the hospital just stabilizing him, or?

What happens when no money arrives, does he get moved to a government hospital with minimal care?

5 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Just like you, I  don't know how much money he has or had in the bank, or whether he was unemployed or not, So in the absence of any reliable or credible info  It is not my place or yours to judge him,   The fact that you are so quick to label him as selfish leads me to think you are indulging in a little virtue signalling

Well i don't think @Yellowtail was 'virtue signaling'

But five kids at 32, probably a couple of baby mommas.

Now I have three children and I don't think I would ever have left my small kids regardless of my marital status travel half way across the world to 'follow my dreams' and end up on a moped at zero dark thirty.

There really is a thing about being a grown up and having responsibilities!

9 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well i don't think @Yellowtail was 'virtue signaling'

But five kids at 32, probably a couple of baby mommas.

Now I have three children and I don't think I would ever have left my small kids regardless of my marital status travel half way across the world to 'follow my dreams' and end up on a moped at zero dark thirty.

There really is a thing about being a grown up and having responsibilities!

I guess your off the hook for contributing then ????????‍♂️

Everyone has a problem if you look deep enough…or just make one up!