Former national police chief Chakthip to face corruption charges

webfact

14 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Personally I find all these charges a welcome sign that Thailand may be taking that first step against corruption.  My biggest challenge is who I will vote for for Thai man of the year  the soapie king or Big Joke.  They are definitely moving the sticks and shaking up the political landscape.

Laughable, its all political posturing and maneuvering behind the scenes- the only good thing to come of the fighting is that a few red faces and a little bit of PR battle. None of these cases will go anywhere and when those pulling the strings behind Chuvit/Joke have got the deal they want it will all quietly fade away again and everything will be as normal.

• Like 2

Its the sad reality of Thailand, they just cannot help themselves from being corrupt! Why would they need to import BMW's for the RTP when they assemble many other less costly brands in Thailand. Like others on this forum have mentioned, probably most of them have been repainted and are now personalised vehicles of RTP employees or their wives & girlfriends!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Spock said:

If dining at an expensive restaurant this would suggest that the wives are quite happy to reap the benefits of the bribes taken by their husbands. Also if not working, they are obviously comfortable enough on the one source of income. Me thinks maybe they protest too much.

The wives said they have to give the bribe to their superior.....Normal police officers don't profit from it....And many don't agree with this of course

16 hours ago, Reigntax said:

If true it would be a good sign. Unfortunately it’s all talk and bravado.

Despite the many announcements over decades you never hear of any major player being taken down. Unless there is an opposition political threat to a persons line of succession at the head of the trough.

They have convicted drug traffickers as major ministers in parliament and they all pretend it didn’t happen.

I hear you but they have never had someone make it so newsworthy before and name names.

Also with it being an election, I think that the powerful people are going to let a few of them hang.

I agree it could end up as nothing but hey HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL and the Chinese Gray money has really stirred it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Laughable, its all political posturing and maneuvering behind the scenes- the only good thing to come of the fighting is that a few red faces and a little bit of PR battle. None of these cases will go anywhere and when those pulling the strings behind Chuvit/Joke have got the deal they want it will all quietly fade away again and everything will be as normal.

I think a few of them will because of the Chinses triad issue.  That being sasid the fat that they have cleaned so many out of the immigration is a welcome sign.

As I said earlier HOPE Springs eternal.   

Also remember that I am sure people said the same thing in Western countries when racketeering was in high play.  

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

I think a few of them will because of the Chinses triad issue.  That being sasid the fat that they have cleaned so many out of the immigration is a welcome sign.

Also remember that I am sure people said the same thing in Western countries when racketeering was in high play.  

Don't you mean racketeering is still in high play [re: Western countries]??

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Don't you mean racketeering is still in high play [re: Western countries]??

Did not seem so obvious back in the 80's and 90's  

Now it is not so much corruption that is screwing up the system but politicization

Thank God here it is the Baht not woke

13 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Have they really cleared any out of immigration? Or are they allegedly under investigation? Which will take 20 years all the while they will either be continuing to work or being fully paid on suspension- no one really knows if anything has happened to any of them?

And considering its all gone completely quiet, has the case been negotiated and the carpet being lifted already? All of them knew about the triads, you really think these powerful Army generals come MP's, police whose whole job it is, is to run rackets were not all fully aware of this network for years....

Anyway hope you are right, maybe i am to pessimistic.

On 3/16/2023 at 7:11 AM, Spock said:

If dining at an expensive restaurant this would suggest that the wives are quite happy to reap the benefits of the bribes taken by their husbands. Also if not working, they are obviously comfortable enough on the one source of income. Me thinks maybe they protest too much.

Years back a police colonel was at my condo door with his Thai wife. I opened he door they quickly came inside, with a teenage boy lackie who quickly closed the door. Never seen him before, he and his wife asked me to help him improve his English.

Later discovered he and his wife approached me because I was the only farang she regularly saw at the local supermarket.

In fact the policeman spoke excellent English. It soon became obvious that:

- His wife wore the pants.

- She came from a very wealthy family. She spoke English at Native speaker level.

- She sought out and married the cop because there was a history of high ranking military and police in her family. 

- At her insistance the colonal cop had a personal uniformed chauffeur who was not a cop, and his car was the biggest/most expensive Benz*. An enterage followed in another smaller car with fresh Thai food and 2 teenage boys assigned to continuously keep the Benz clean and keep extra sets of shoes highly polished for the colonel cop.

- The wife openly told me the reason for all of this -  she was ready to pay the big money to buy hubbie his general rank, but wanted to be able to say he brought something valuable to the table - perfect English. 

- They were offering big money for English lessons (which I wouldn't attempt partly because I have no knowledge of how to structure any lessons at his current English level and because I'm not intersted in teaching English, I already had a very good position in a consulting firm.) Even in the first discussion in my condo the wife was already ordering me what to do.

- I had to politely insist NO thanks, she was angry that her 'orders' were being challenged. She approached me again the next day and the following day. Her attitude was polite but insistant that she should have what she desired.

At that time Benz was the much preferred European luxury high quality car.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 7:21 AM, bamnutsak said:

Glaciers move faster than the NACC.

The NACC is a joke, a big one. It is more akin to a a giant rug, under which corruption cases get swept. They are held, sometimes for decades, before being trotted out to bring down some now current "enemy of the state".

The NACC has been challenged several times over decdes for their poor almost non existent record of actually laying charges and even less wins.

On 3/15/2023 at 7:14 PM, klauskunkel said:

and after he raised the case, he was promptly demoted and silenced by Prayut...

Seems history will prove his claim as correct,  and you can bet he has a smile from ear to ear. 

On 3/15/2023 at 8:34 PM, kingstonkid said:

Personally I find all these charges a welcome sign that Thailand may be taking that first step against corruption.  My biggest challenge is who I will vote for for Thai man of the year  the soapie king or Big Joke.  They are definitely moving the sticks and shaking up the political landscape.

It would be a fair bet they are working together and their connection could go way back. 

On 3/16/2023 at 11:11 AM, Spock said:

Many women seek and hunt down young single connected police for marriage as they are aware of the long term benefits that can flow flow when married. 

On 3/15/2023 at 3:14 PM, klauskunkel said:
On 3/15/2023 at 1:01 PM, webfact said:

The case was raised with the NACC by Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn

and after he raised the case, he was promptly demoted and silenced by Prayut...

Prayuth's possibly got his own NACC stuff looming with the alleged use of government property to do his electioneering so he won't be reigning in any 'rogue' cops any time soon.

On 3/15/2023 at 5:25 PM, ikke1959 said:

Today at lunch my partner and some other people were talking with wifes of policemen who had lunch too. The wifes claimed that policemen are ordered to take bribes to hand over to their superiors, and many will quit when they are 25 years in service. But nobody dares to stand up against their superiors.. It is all over Thailand according to the women... Just to say, and apparently the Government knows it, but don't care 

And they knew what they were getting into when they all paid money to get accepted as a police cadet.

No sympathy. Some become sharks but most are just so much krill.

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Prayuth's possibly got his own NACC stuff looming with the alleged use of government property to do his electioneering so he won't be reigning in any 'rogue' cops any time soon.

And they knew what they were getting into when they all paid money to get accepted as a police cadet.

No sympathy. Some become sharks but most are just so much krill.

Looking the other way is cheaper than paying these people a liveable wage.

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

Looking the other way is cheaper than paying these people a liveable wage.

I think looking the other way is probably more profitable, as Prayuth no doubt gets a slice of the pie from the RTP. Paying them a liveable wage would also be counterproductive, because it would reduce the need for grift/kickbacks/corruption, so less money would flow up to the big cheeses higher up in the chain of command.

14 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

I think looking the other way is probably more profitable, as Prayuth no doubt gets a slice of the pie from the RTP. Paying them a liveable wage would also be counterproductive, because it would reduce the need for grift/kickbacks/corruption, so less money would flow up to the big cheeses higher up in the chain of command.

But this is in fact what is needed.  Set a liveable wage at all levels with a guarantee of 5 years and loss of pension as well as family wealth 

On 3/19/2023 at 2:43 PM, scorecard said:

Years back a police colonel was at my condo door with his Thai wife. I opened he door they quickly came inside, with a teenage boy lackie who quickly closed the door. Never seen him before, he and his wife asked me to help him improve his English.

Later discovered he and his wife approached me because I was the only farang she regularly saw at the local supermarket.

In fact the policeman spoke excellent English. It soon became obvious that:

- His wife wore the pants.

- She came from a very wealthy family. She spoke English at Native speaker level.

- She sought out and married the cop because there was a history of high ranking military and police in her family. 

- At her insistance the colonal cop had a personal uniformed chauffeur who was not a cop, and his car was the biggest/most expensive Benz*. An enterage followed in another smaller car with fresh Thai food and 2 teenage boys assigned to continuously keep the Benz clean and keep extra sets of shoes highly polished for the colonel cop.

- The wife openly told me the reason for all of this -  she was ready to pay the big money to buy hubbie his general rank, but wanted to be able to say he brought something valuable to the table - perfect English. 

- They were offering big money for English lessons (which I wouldn't attempt partly because I have no knowledge of how to structure any lessons at his current English level and because I'm not intersted in teaching English, I already had a very good position in a consulting firm.) Even in the first discussion in my condo the wife was already ordering me what to do.

- I had to politely insist NO thanks, she was angry that her 'orders' were being challenged. She approached me again the next day and the following day. Her attitude was polite but insistant that she should have what she desired.

At that time Benz was the much preferred European luxury high quality car.

As someone who 25 years ago spent 7 days in Pattaya lock up and a day in jail before the oiling of squeaky wheels took affect, I have never had any respect for the Thai police. I have strong memories of the gold jewellery and expensive watches worn by lowly police officers. Not to mention the party they held at my expense.