What Sunscreen Do You Use and Why Do You Like Your Brand?

connda

Just wondering what other people use in the way of sunscreen/sunblock and why do you like the brand(s) that you use?
I'm interested in trying a new brand.

I use Wild Lives 40 however it has a really strong smell, but I like that it's a liquid.  Easier to apply but leaves a "slick" on your skin.
I also use Vitara 50+ but it seems to have hard little 'balls' in it that makes it sort of uncomfortable to apply. Perhaps that is a "one off."  Seems to work well enough though.
Then there is just plain zinc oxide.  Works well if you're not self-conscious.  At my age?  I'm not looking to win the Hansum-Man award.

What's everyone else using especially as we roll into the months where the sun is very strong. 

I generally avoid the sun but as a daily moisturiser i use Nivea Men which has UV written on the tin but I have no idea of the level of protection.

The standard Nivea Creme , in the round blue tin , is extremely sticky and if you’re not careful you end up looking like one of those old Thai ladies who overdo the powder and resemble a ghost !

• Like 1

The best stuff I've ever used is Elle Bache' (Aussie products) ... superb.

I've been using sunscreens since my mum used to put Zinc cream across my nose as a baby.

Bache' 'Sports Block' last all day in the surf! They make a range of screens from this super waterproof moisturising Sports number to non lanolin based non-swimming ones, even makeup bases that act as sunscreens too.

I buy mine when back in Oz but you can order online.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Always seem to find a carcinogen substance in sunscreen every couple years.  

There's a lot of hyperbole surrounding suncream with headlines screaming "Carginogens found in sunscreens" and the like. In 2021 there was concern that 300 or more sunscreens contained benzene which is a known carcinogen. In fact most of them contained oxybenzone which is not the same as benzene.

In fact benzene, if not ingested, would have to be used in a prolonged manner to have much effect. I used to use benzene in my stamp collection as a kid and was handling it constantly with no ill effect but of course it's preferable to avoid with what we now know.

It's best to check ingredients and probably avoid Titanium Oxide and use Zinc Oxide products if you really are worried.

But without doubt, especially if you have light skin, you are taking much more of a risk if you don't use a sunscreen with prolonged exposure. It's a personal choice.

Also remember it's not just about cancer but skin-aging too.

I might just clarify that some bodies like The European Food Safety Authority have regulated oxybenzone citing possible concerns.

Edited by Baht Simpson
  • Like 2

I won't use sunscreen! Most of them are contaminated with toxic chemicals. As are many "personal care" products which I also don't use. I cover my skin, long pants, long sleeve shirt, wide brim hat. Long clothes of good breathing fabric keep me cooler than having the sun directly heat my skin.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Sunscreens are a case of getting hit from both sides: First of all, they block out the sun (obviously) - which prevents us from getting essential vitamin D. And then on top of that, they are full of harmful chemicals. (I think sunscreens are responsible for the huge rise in skin cancer over the years.)

Even though I have very pale skin, my solution is/was to gradually build up my exposure to the sun. I started with just five minutes a day, and now I can lie in the sun for an hour without burning. The point is to avoid burning, which can be done by simply knowing your limits - and limiting your exposure accordingly. 

So my advice: Avoid sunscreens - and opt instead for sensible exposure. (Do you really think that humans were created to need to block the sun from our skin? The sun is the great giver of life and health!)

• Thumbs Up 1

I use Shiseidô,Japanese make , best of everything , but expensive. I like a tan, but moderate . I wear a hat in the sun, and UV protective tshirts . Avoid 11am to 16h exposure.  All sun loving nationalities have high % of skin cancer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A splash of urine is the sunscreen I use.  Applied daily as an aftershave.  The interplay with the sun creates a natural synthesis of vitality.  Wrinkles fade.  A healthy skin tone results.  I also use urine in the rare event of sunburns which eliminates the pain and eases the redness.

12 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Why You Shouldn't Use Any Sunscreens ...and what you can do instead!

https://www.vintagetradition.com/why-you-shouldnt-use-any-sunscreens/

Yet more ironically, research and statistics indicate that sunscreen use actually promotes skin cancer!

Lol. That's hilarious. It's just an ad with spurious and misleading claims to sell their balm. 

Sunscreen "promotes cancer" but sun exposure doesn't apparently. 

Fortunately they have a product that somehow magically prevents sunburn. And if that doesn't work they have another product you can rub on your burnt skin.  ???? 

I particularly like the product that's "A favorite with babies". And only $73.35 a pot!

Pass

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

A splash of urine is the sunscreen I use.  Applied daily as an aftershave.  The interplay with the sun creates a natural synthesis of vitality.  Wrinkles fade.  A healthy skin tone results.  I also use urine in the rare event of sunburns which eliminates the pain and eases the redness.

I think you're taking the ........    Mark ????

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Sunscreen "promotes cancer" but sun exposure doesn't apparently. 

well ... "chemicals on my skin + scorching sun" scares the <deleted> out of me.

they're selling a balm but i can't afford those expensive balms. they do contain nutrients for the skin.

but i just stay in the sun without sunscreen long enough to try to avoid getting burned. 

14 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

well ... "chemicals on my skin + scorching sun" scares the <deleted> out of me.

they're selling a balm but i can't afford those expensive balms. they do contain nutrients for the skin.

but i just stay in the sun without sunscreen long enough to try to avoid getting burned. 

To be honest I'm much more concerned with un-beneficial chemicals I'm breathing in than any that might leech into my body externally.

And you're right, the most prudent approach is mild sun exposure. That's not always possible here though.

14 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

5 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

To be honest I'm much more concerned with un-beneficial chemicals I'm breathing in than any that might leech into my body externally.

yeah, air quality ... that's another story.

i'm even looking into alternatives to shampoos and deodorants.

but i think sunscreen is dangerous because it's reacting with the sun. 

8 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

And you're right, the most prudent approach is mild sun exposure.

it's not just a question of being prudent.

we NEED some sun.

I don't fully understand how the sun works.

No sun at all is bad ... as it's the main source of Vitamin D.

not sure how much sun is harmful.

but one thing i learned is ... crappy diets also affect skin cancer. 

it's a bit complex.

13 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

it's not just a question of being prudent.

we NEED some sun.

I don't fully understand how the sun works.

No sun at all is bad ... as it's the main source of Vitamin D.

not sure how much sun is harmful.

but one thing i learned is ... crappy diets also affect skin cancer. 

it's a bit complex.

This article from Harvard might help.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/6-things-you-should-know-about-vitamin-d

"Use of sunscreen. Sunscreen prevents sunburn by blocking UVB light. Theoretically, that means sunscreen use lowers vitamin D levels. But as a practical matter, very few people put on enough sunscreen to block all UVB light, or they use sunscreen irregularly, so sunscreen's effects on vitamin D might not be that important. An Australian study that's often cited showed no difference in vitamin D between adults randomly assigned to use sunscreen one summer and those assigned a placebo cream."

46 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

This article from Harvard might help.

thanks, but I will take advice from Eric Berg on this one.

Harvard is "mainstream", and the mainstream has perpetuated the simplistic "sun causes cancer" mantra, so you need to block out the sun.

- melanoma has increased 3000% since 1970

- 75% of melanomas occur in areas on the body which are rarely exposed to the sun

- people are getting less sun than in the past

- Sun screens have carcinogens

- Sun screens block Vitamin D production on the skin

- Vitamin D from sun exposure protects you from cancer

- people with melanoma often have Vitamin D deficiency

So based on these facts, it can be assumed that the sun is not the main cause of this increase in melanoma.

- Avoid sunscreen

- Get moderate amount of sun, but avoid sunburn.

- The benefits of Vitamin D from the sun outweigh risks of cancer.

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

thanks, but I will take advice from Eric Berg on this one.

Harvard is "mainstream", and the mainstream has perpetuated the simplistic "sun causes cancer" mantra, so you need to block out the sun.

- melanoma has increased 3000% since 1970

- 75% of melanomas occur in areas on the body which are rarely exposed to the sun

- people are getting less sun than in the past

- Sun screens have carcinogens

- Sun screens block Vitamin D production on the skin

- Vitamin D from sun exposure protects you from cancer

- people with melanoma often have Vitamin D deficiency

So based on these facts, it can be assumed that the sun is not the main cause of this increase in melanoma.

- Avoid sunscreen

- Get moderate amount of sun, but avoid sunburn.

- The benefits of Vitamin D from the sun outweigh risks of cancer.

Berg? Lol. Good luck with that.  

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Eric_Berg