Search on for a pickup truck owner who may have the caesium-137

webfact

31 minutes ago, Ginner said:

So  he steals it. It has been on the news for a week or so. He puts it in HIS pick up, drives to a car wash and leaves it in the back for every one to see.????

Equivalent to hiding in the long grass behind mom's place?

I have a shiny metal cylinder on my coffee table....it has metal toothpicks in it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, webfact said:

had his vehicle cleaned at a car wash about three weeks ago.

An employee at the car wash saw an “iron” cylinder in the back of a pickup which came for a wash.

That must have been the most memorable iron cylinder on the bed of a pickup ever...

31 minutes ago, Sweet Swede said:

I remember that something similar happened 15/20 years ago in Thailand, when a radioactive recourse disappeared.  Can not remember the outcome, but it was in the news for some time.

It's not just Thailand that has had problems with radioactive substances.  There is the fascinating story of the US boy scout who tried to build a breeder reactor in his garden shed, using radioactive material sourced from hundreds of old smoke alarms.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0QMeTjcJDA&t=1s

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

Is this a repetition of the drama which happened a long time ago when thieves of scrap metal also took radioactive rods from a hospital and I believe one of them died?

I didn't know about that one, 2000, there's a Wikipedia page Samut Prakan Radiation Incident

Quote:

A radiation accident occurred in Samut Prakan Province, Thailand in January–February 2000. The accident happened when an insecurely stored unlicensed cobalt-60 radiation source was recovered by scrap metal collectors who, together with a scrapyard worker, subsequently dismantled the container, unknowingly exposing themselves and others nearby to ionizing radiation.

Three patients (the two scrapyard workers and the owner's husband) ultimately died of uncontrolled infection and sepsis, all within two months of exposure.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

I didn't know about that one, 2000, there's a Wikipedia page Samut Prakan Radiation Incident

Quote:

A radiation accident occurred in Samut Prakan Province, Thailand in January–February 2000. The accident happened when an insecurely stored unlicensed cobalt-60 radiation source was recovered by scrap metal collectors who, together with a scrapyard worker, subsequently dismantled the container, unknowingly exposing themselves and others nearby to ionizing radiation.

Three patients (the two scrapyard workers and the owner's husband) ultimately died of uncontrolled infection and sepsis, all within two months of exposure.

it's Ok, it was only 3 deaths- nothing to get excited about,  plus it was found- so that's a bonus. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Fantastic journalism. Great story. Well done. World wide investigative journalism is a sought after position. The journo on this one is well on their way. 

Pretty vague if you ask me , could be anything they'd seen. 

17 hours ago, simon43 said:

It's not just Thailand that has had problems with radioactive substances.  There is the fascinating story of the US boy scout who tried to build a breeder reactor in his garden shed, using radioactive material sourced from hundreds of old smoke alarms.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0QMeTjcJDA&t=1s

Yes, but then he knew what he wanted the stuff for. I doubt that's the case here.

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Not only Thailand , Reported ,one fell off the back of a pickup

in Australian desert  , but it was found.

regards Worgeordie

I'll guarantee if it had been a case of beer it would have been found en sooner eh

• Haha 1

Somewhat misleading. The 5 x 13 inch cylinder is not a radiation canister, rather an old industrial flow meter used at the power plant. Here is a frontal image from this article. Deep inside the flow meter there is a small cesium-137 source used to measure flow, likely similar to the tiny one recently lost (and found) in Australia. Nothing like the famous Samut Prakan lost cobalt-60 canister, which was ~10,000 times more radioactive.

A rusty grey round metal lid displays some faded writing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

I'll guarantee if it had been a case of beer it would have been found en sooner eh

If it were a case of beer, it wouldn't have fallen off the back of the truck as precious goods always travel inside the vehicle. 

Not long ago (January) in WA (Western Australia) a capsule went missing sparking a massive search. Oz is a "first world" C@nt-tree yet not much comment here. Same happening here? All of the usual detritus have to berate Thailand and Thai people. What a sad bunch of pr!@ks you are.
So glad I live my life away from the sexpat, beer goggle POSes

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, rabas said:

Somewhat misleading. The 5 x 13 inch cylinder is not a radiation canister, rather an old industrial flow meter used at the power plant. Here is a frontal image from this article. Deep inside the flow meter there is a small cesium-137 source used to measure flow, likely similar to the tiny one recently lost (and found) in Australia. Nothing like the famous Samut Prakan lost cobalt-60 canister, which was ~10,000 times more radioactive.

A rusty grey round metal lid displays some faded writing.

So about as much radioactive material as is found inside a smoke alarm... ????

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Lopchan said:

Not long ago (January) in WA (Western Australia) a capsule went missing sparking a massive search. Oz is a "first world" C@nt-tree yet not much comment here. Same happening here? All of the usual detritus have to berate Thailand and Thai people. What a sad bunch of pr!@ks you are.
So glad I live my life away from the sexpat, beer goggle POSes

Don't get us started on Western Australians!