Do you support "15 minute cities" in order to save the planet from man-made global warming?

connda

Do you support "15 minute cities" in order to save the planet from man-made global warming?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, connda said:

It makes me wonder if Thai immigration will get with the program if the Thai government implements travel restrictions.  Knowing Thailand (TIT), they probably would insist you travel 100km to your "nearest" Immigration office, and then issue you a fine for traveling outside of your "zone."  ????  Hummm.

You kind of blew your cover here about asking an honest question.

The ‘15-minute city’ backlash is part of the great climate change conspiracy theory

Last month, protesters against a new low-traffic neighbourhood system took aim at “15-minute cities” there. They argued that the proposals to reduce reliance on cars are a Trojan horse for controlling citizens’ movement through QR codes and other forms of digital surveillance.

On Facebook, a group founded a few weeks ago to protest against 15-minute cities has more than 20,000 users who have posted empty claims that the ideas are communist or Nazi in nature, or make comparisons to the dystopian fiction of The Hunger Games.

https://www.ft.com/content/93d58155-5a4e-4135-ac6f-00d5a3c8e4d1

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Who in there right mind would want limits put on them like that.   Give me global warming before restrictions ruin the reasons to live. 

Laughable.

Next thing you know, they'll want to impose speed limits on cars.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Happy to restrict myself to a 15min drive if mandated by the government but they will have to build a lot of infrastructure to make the idea feasible.

I know of nowhere that such a mandate is being proposed. This kind of allegation comes from conspiracy theorists who would rather fictionalize than take the time to read what 15 minute city programs are really about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

why do people like Walking Street in Pattaya?

it's not just because of gogo bars.

it's because it's car free.

there will be more streets like that in the future as reliance on cars lessens in these 15 minute cities.

actually, not just walking street.

why do a lot of folks like living in places like Pattaya?

because it is a sort of 15 minute city.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I can work up ill-feeling towards every climate alarmist poster that doesn't have solar panels already installed.

So many want others to follow their beliefs without following them themselves.

Indeed.

Live one's protest.

Be the change.

Practice what you preach. 

Greatly modify your lifestyle. 

If not.....S-T-F-U

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Denim said:

If they can start up some go go bars and massage parlors within 15 minutes of Newport on the Isle of Wight I might consider supporting it. Freelance coffee shops too  ,Thai prices  of course.

but with well fed British girls

Just now, h90 said:

The difference is if you don't leave often because you can find everything you need, or if some dictator forces you to stay there only.
I rarely go further than 1km most of the time, but I would not want someone put a fence around me. Beside that you violated that 15min rule massive as I doubt you were born there. You traveled there in most probably more like 15 hours. 

More nonsense about someone trying to put a fence around you. Please share with us examples of where this is either the case or is being proposed.

9 minutes ago, cmsally said:

15 minute neighbourhoods will restrict your movement in that you can only cross into other zones a certain number of times per year. Once you have reached your maximum you will then be penalized and receive fines. This system will of course be policed by a large number of cameras and license plate recognition. In other words a virtual fence; whilst it's not a physical barrier, crossing it without permission will lead to punishment.

You got any actual evidence to back this up?

1 minute ago, cmsally said:

"Motorists in Canterbury, Kent, will be penalised from one zone to another"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11310519/Traffic-scheme-splits-cathedral-city-FIVE-zones-fines-drivers-moving-them.html

"Automatic number plate reading (ANPR) cameras will be in operation at entry and exit points, ensuring drivers are unable to sneak between neighbourhoods without facing a fine."

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/canterbury-could-split-five-parts-8077244

So they won't be stopped from getting to where they want to go; they won't be prisoners; they just won't be able to go through adjoining neighborhoods. This is in the interest of curbing congestion. In fact congestion pricing has long been a feature of many cities long before the 15 minute city idea.

44 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So they won't be stopped from getting to where they want to go; they won't be prisoners; they just won't be able to go through adjoining neighborhoods. This is in the interest of curbing congestion. In fact congestion pricing has long been a feature of many cities long before the 15 minute city idea.

I should have written 

So they won't be stopped from getting to where they want to go; they won't be prisoners; they just won't be able to go through adjoining neighborhoods unless they pay a fine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, cmsally said:

So it's basically to do with income generation rather than improving the environment . If you are going to be charged for crossing into the next zone, you will travel up to the ring road and enter the other zone from there. Therefore turning a half mile journey into one of five miles or more. It doesn't sound terribly environmentally friendly.

Your analysis takes no account of how  congestion and gridlock affect driving times  and the effect they have on people living in those neighborhoods.

In America lots of drivers are using something called WAZE. It directs them to routes that avoid the worst congestion. What this has led to is local streets being inundated with traffic. In some cases locals have actually illegally blockaded their streets to keep out this WAZE generated traffic. Why should the rights of drivers be paramount? 

Even relatively new cities the expanded greatly after the advent of automobiles suffer the ill effects of traffic congestion. Even more so older cities that weren't created with any notion of the automobile.

I noticed that in Bangok, nearly 200000 people were hospitalized due to pollution recently. Part of that pollution came from automobiles. But it's not automobile drivers who are paying the medical costs. In effect, others are paying for it. It's what's called an implicit subsidy.

• Sad 1