OA visa vs O visa (retirement)

There was a lot of Information on AN, unfortunately very difficult to search and often outdated.

What are the main differences?

AFAIK 

O visa needs  money (800000) in Thai bank for extension,  which has to be done in the first 3 months of stay in Thailand, then yearly. 

OA can have money in bank abroad  and still stay in Thailand 2 years (border run after 1st year necessary; the visa is valid 1 year and allows multiple entries,  in the second year need re-entry if leaving and returning within the time of the permission of stay)

OA needs health insurance (3m inpatient, 60000 outpatient, can use a foreign insurance company). Can only stay as long as covered by the insurance.

Is this correct?

Which other differences are there?

I am asking for a long term O visa/retirement extension holder who wants to move his 800000 out of Thailand and is thinking of OA. He leaves Thailand every year anyway. 

In any situation, where it might be useful to be a longterm resident (or however it is called), would OA usually be just as good as O?

Another option for your friend may be to change to the monthly transfer method over the 800K. If he started transferring 65K into Thailand each and every month after a year he can extend based on monthly transfers.

It would take a long time before he can move the out of Thailand but may be better than applying for a new O-A every 2 years.

When you meet the requirements to apply for a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-county AND you have a Health-Insurance Policy that meets the Non Imm O-A requirements, it could be worthwhile to switch to a Non Imm O-A Visa, provided you go at least once every 2 years to your home-country and during your stay there apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa.

The benefit of doing so is that:

1 - There is no need to keep any funds semi-permanently on a Thai personal bank-account (thus freeing up 800k/400K on your Thai bank-account);

2 - There is no need to visit an Imm Office during the 2-year period that the Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you (this is literally so when you do your 90-day reports on-line). 

3 - The 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa is multiple-entry the first year (but you should only buy single-entry Re-Entry Permits in the 2nd year for your trips abroad, and REFRAIN fromr doing so for your return-trip to your home-country, thus 'killing' your current Permit to stay and being able to apply for a new Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country).

NOTE 1: The above was my plan to stay in Thailand and avoid parking +800K semi-permanently on a Thai bank-account, but because of COVID restrictions at the time when I should have left to my home-country I was forced to switch to a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

NOTE 2: The minimum coverage (and annual fee) for a Non Imm O-A compliant Health Insurance policy has been upped in mean time. But if you opt for a Health Insurance policy to cover you while in Thailand, it will still be worthwhile to opt for one that meets the Non Imm O-A requirements, in order to 'enjoy' the benefits of the Non Imm O-A Visa.

• Like 1

If your annual gross income is $80,000 or greater, you may qualify for a 10-yr. Long Term Residence visa. One time cost 50,000 baht. No minimum bank balance, no foreign transfers, 1 year residence reporting, free multiple re-entry, use of Fast Track at Thailand international airports, custom duty exempt.

Any verifiable (ie., foreign embassy, company directors certified) healthcare insurance required for specific minimums. O doesn't require healthcare insurance but depends on adequate and timely free (34 baht?) medical service from the State (think UK); safer to have independent, reliable personal insurance. 

7 hours ago, Lorry said:

border run after 1st year necessary

my understanding is that the border run needs to happen before the visa expires, which is one year from the date of issue and not one year from date of first entry to the kingdom. 

@DrJack54feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

my understanding is that the border run needs to happen before the visa expires, which is one year from the date of issue and not one year from date of first entry to the kingdom. 

@DrJack54

Completely correct.

That is one reason why recommended not to apply for non O-A to early prior to first entry in order to maximize stay. 

Unrelated but good opportunity to remind folk that if exit Thailand in the "second year" you need to obtain reentry permit.

Current thread where chap overlooked that and was given visa exempt entry on return 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

@DrJack54feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

The multi-entry 1 year OA visa. Any time you exit and enter while the visa ( sticker date ) is valid, you will be stamped in for 1 year from your arrival date, keep in mind on re- entry your permission to stay stamp will always be the date of your health insurance expiry.  You will need a re-entry permit before you leave if you are arriving after the OA visa sticker expiry date.

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MPoll said:

I just switched from an OA to a 10 year pensioner LTR so I'm going to be another vote for investigating that option.

If you are talking a reentry permit a LTR visa includes a multi-reentry permit.  It a separate stamp next to the visa stamp.

On 3/23/2023 at 5:07 PM, Red Phoenix said:

NOTE 2: The minimum coverage (and annual fee) for a Non Imm O-A compliant Health Insurance policy has been upped in mean time. But if you opt for a Health Insurance policy to cover you while in Thailand, it will still be worthwhile to opt for one that meets the Non Imm O-A requirements, in order to 'enjoy' the benefits of the Non Imm O-A Visa.

A caution on this.  One can have absolutely fabulous health insurance, and not have it recognized/accepted by the Thai immigration - in particular when it comes time to obtain a 1-year extension (ie after the first couple of years) on a Type-OA visa.  

So my caution to anyone considering a Type-OA visa, who thinks they don't have to worry about the Health Insurance clause, because they already have health insurance, and because their original Health Insurance was originally accepted by an Embassy (when first getting the type-OA visa) - don't be so sure it will be accepted one or two years later by Thai immigration in Thailand when it comes time for an extension on one's "permission to stay" in Thailand.

I have fabulous Health Insurance that comes with my pension from a European government organisation, that exceeds the Thai requirements. It covers both me and my Thai wife.  But it is NOT accepted by Thai immigration.  

With my being faced with either

(1) giving up my superior European Health insurance - replacing it with FAR less capable and more expensive Health insurance from the Thai branch of a Health Insurance company), or

(2) keeping my superior European Health Insurance and ALSO buying 2nd health insurance from the Thai branch of a Health Insurance company (ie buying double insurance), or

(3) keeping my superior European Health Insurance AND switching from a Type-OA to a Type-O visa, I went with the Type-O visa. 

To the best of my knowledge, Thai immigration does not nominally accept self insurance, unlike the relatively new LTR Wealth Pensioner visa where one can simply maintain $100,000 US$ in a foreign bank account, and that will be accepted as adequate Health Insurance.  Of course they call it an "LTR Wealth Pensioner" visa for a reason (ie one needs to have the money), where not everyone has the $100,000 US to keep in a bank account.  But given I do qualify, that self insurance (in my view) sure beats me having to buy double health insurance with a Tupe-OA Visa (if I don't want to give up my superior and cheaper European Health Insurance).

On 3/23/2023 at 11:37 AM, biervoormij said:

If he started transferring 65K into Thailand each and every month after a year he can extend based on monthly transfers.

Unless the OP's pal is American, Australian or British, an alternative option open to him might be to obtain from his home country embassy in Bangkok a letter confirming minimum monthly income equal to at least 65k.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Unless the OP's pal is American, Australian or British, an alternative option open to him might be to obtain from his home country embassy in Bangkok a letter confirming minimum monthly income equal to at least 65k.

Excellent point and would be a great way to go if his embassy supports this letter. Great idea for the OP!

3 hours ago, biervoormij said:

Excellent point and would be a great way to go if his embassy supports this letter. Great idea for the OP!

Agree it is a good point.

However when you read the OP he is very aware of options.

Seems switched on.

My guess is income method not an option.

The non O with extensions is a no brainer. 

That would require the 800k in bank but no insurance. 

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Agree it is a good point.

However when you read the OP he is very aware of options.

Seems switched on.

My guess is income method not an option.

The non O with extensions is a no brainer. 

That would require the 800k in bank but no insurance. 

Dr Jack,

The  OP had the following in his original post.

"I am asking for a long term O visa/retirement extension holder who wants to move his 800000 out of Thailand and is thinking of OA. He leaves Thailand every year anyway.  "

He currently has a Non-Imm O but the 800K staying in Thailand is a problem. He did not talk about the income method but you may be correct and he is aware of this possibility. I wish I had the option of the income letter but not possible for me so never thought of it.

33 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

Dr Jack,

The  OP had the following in his original post.

"I am asking for a long term O visa/retirement extension holder who wants to move his 800000 out of Thailand and is thinking of OA. He leaves Thailand every year anyway.  "

He currently has a Non-Imm O but the 800K staying in Thailand is a problem. He did not talk about the income method but you may be correct and he is aware of this possibility. I wish I had the option of the income letter but not possible for me so never thought of it.

Thanks @biervoormij

Might help if I learn to read OP in detail.

Egg on face.

Ta for correction. 

Edited by DrJack54

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks @biervoormij

Might help if I learn to read OP in detail.

Egg on face.

Ta for correction. 

No problem from me you have answered some of my questions in the past.

I don't know enough about visas to reply to anyone but every once in a while I think I can add something useful.

I do wish the OP would reply and let the people that attempted to help what the solution was.

1 minute ago, biervoormij said:

I do wish the OP would reply and let the people that attempted to help what the solution was.

First up ta for  my mistake.

Re threads in AseanNow it's disappointing when someone starts a thread and then basically exits .

Happens often. 

Bit weird really. 

So @Lorry.....

Any interest in thread you started few days ago??

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

First up ta for  my mistake.

Re threads in AseanNow it's disappointing when someone starts a thread and then basically exits .

Happens often. 

Bit weird really. 

So @Lorry.....

Any interest in thread you started few days ago??

Yes.

I follow this thread very diligently and I appreciate all the answers. 

This is not something that has to be decided in a week or two, it's rather planning for the long term. A decision is probably due in the autumn, about 6 months from now.

I apologize if I gave the impression I wouldn't care about this thread.  I do, and I am very grateful for all the comments. 

One thing that hasn't been addressed: often, Thai bureaucrats distinguish between tourists and people living here (eg for DL, tax office, hospitals), for example on a retirement extension. Any experience whether OA in these contexts is usually equal to non-O?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Any experience whether OA in these contexts is usually equal to non-O?

At least in the case of the DLT they look for a Non-immigrant visa, which a non-OA is, so it's equal in that case.

PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)

"

• Like 2