Passport needed for travel around Thailand?

I would never make multiple day trips in Thailand without my Passport. You never know what could happen that you need it.

But of course I do not carry the passport with me all the time, but leave it at a safe place at my destination, because losing or damaging it would be an administrative nightmare.

And I have pictures of Passport ID-page and latest Permit to stay pages on my phone, and if those are not sufficient when queried by Authorities and if they don't accept other ID like my thai driver license, I will simply go get the Passport (never happened by the way).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

...And several others are reporting their passport has been requested when travelling, or found they needed their passport.... Thus, anyone offering advice to a stranger that they do not need their passport are wrong. 

The implication that because someone has not needed their passport in the past, any prospective traveller doesn’t need to take their passport with this is also wrong.

The implication that because someone has not needed their passport in the past those same people will not need their passport the next time they go travelling is also wrong. 

There... straw removed from the man for you... 

Okay, you win. 

• Haha 1

Inflammatory bickering posts and the replies have been removed:

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

On 3/24/2023 at 10:52 AM, Menken said:

I'm certain if we explore the law for farang the law will not say ID but passport.

Wrong. A forum myth that will never die despite being refuted countless times. The self-assurance with which it's repeated is always amusing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

That foreigners are required by law to carry their passports on their persons, obviously.

How come, give us a link to read........

When I was sitting in my watering hole, an immigration police car stopped and came in, asked us for our passports, we laughed, none of them spoke English, so they told the wives, tell them to carry their passports.

But, I do carry a printout of my pp and visa pages....????

8 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I'm not bothering again. Go read the law yourself.

image.png.16e00e68d5975ce71a4a9eb50c036d3c.png

And didn't arrest you (they couldn't, as you'd violated no law) or even detain you on suspicion of committing some other offense and requiring you to produce your passports within 24 hours. "Passport" is the most convenient ID to ask for.

Means nothing.

"Means nothing", so immigration were out patrolling and telling us porkies........????

Now give us a link to read, please...????

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Yeah, tremendous credibility. So, carry your passport if you're all scared now. Up2U. Not my problem. ????

@BritManTooshould chime in here now to help relieve the fear. One of the few who knows the actual situation and has that authentic cred on our forum. ????

I don't carry my passport, I have a printout of my visa in my wallet, so easy, even for a Bigstar.......????

• Sad 1

On 3/24/2023 at 10:52 AM, Menken said:

I find the safe thing overkill and a bit hilarious.

I'm certain if we explore the law for farang the law will not say ID but passport. In the end it's not even about what the law states it's about what the cop wants.

If a Thai produced I driver's license and told the police that they kept their ID card at home you think that would fly?

Adult Thais are required to carry their Thai ID card at all times.

Foreigners are required to carry Photo ID from a government source at all times (not having the Thai ID card).

That's the rules.

I never carry my passport as losing it would cause me much more trouble than a problematic Thai cop ever could.

But I do have a Thai DL in my wallet.

Been here 14 years, nobody on the street has ever asked to see my passport.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Adult Thais are required to carry their Thai ID card at all times.

Every Thai from the age of 7 is required to carry their ID card at all times. 

Edited by IvorBiggun2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My 12yo Thai son doesn't have a Thai ID card yet, his school do them all at age 14-15.

Yes he does. It's the law. They are done age 7 at the Amphur or Tessebhan. I have 3 children.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

I Ubon it is 15.

No it's not it's 7 years old.

What is the minimum age for Thai ID card?

Image result for age to get ID card in thailand

7 years-old

Thai people over 7 years-old must do their Thai ID Card according to the law.
Edited by IvorBiggun2

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

which IMO the probability of which exceeds the risk of loss...

I agree with your post but not this bit. Losing a passport is a massive inconvenience and I never take it with me anywhere in Thailand except for the rare occasions I know in advance it will be needed - eg immigration rituals.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I agree with your post but not this bit. Losing a passport is a massive inconvenience and I never take it with me anywhere in Thailand except for the rare occasions I know in advance it will be needed - eg immigration rituals.

He's misinformed. 'Course, he could well look suspicious anyway, or, say, attend problematic venues subject to a drug raid, and be worried about coming under suspicion for a possible crime that he may or may not have committed. Then he'd be detained and be required to produce his passport (or have it produced) within 24 hours. Better for him to carry it, I guess. In your case?

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I would never make multiple day trips in Thailand without my Passport. You never know what could happen that you need it.

But of course I do not carry the passport with me all the time, but leave it at a safe place at my destination, because losing or damaging it would be an administrative nightmare.

And I have pictures of Passport ID-page and latest Permit to stay pages on my phone, and if those are not sufficient when queried by Authorities and if they don't accept other ID like my thai driver license, I will simply go get the Passport (never happened by the way).

Agreed... exactly the common sense approach that I’d advise anyone travelling to and within Thailand. 

1)  There is no need to carry your passport with you on your person everywhere at all time, but have it secure at home or in your accommodation just incase you face a situation whereby your passport is needed. 

2) When travelling out of province, take your passport with you and secure it at your accommodation so that you have access to it just incase you face a situation whereby your passport is needed. 

-------

For those who refuse to take their passport with them whenever they travel anywhere within Thailand because they are so fearful of loss, theft etc... the passport can’t stay locked away forever, its needed sometimes, so what plan B do they have if the passport is lost, misplaced, damaged etc ?...  

The loss of my passport would cause me inconceivable inconvenience, I travel a lot for work, time spent getting a replacement would cost me a significant sum of money.

The Plan B I have... A second UK Passport (which is not kept with the primary passport).

So... I ask those too concerned to travel with their passports if they have thought about what they’d do if they were to lose their passports and if they have put any measures in place to limit the severity of inconvenience. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Plan B I have... A second UK Passport (which is not kept with the primary passport).

Which is fine for you as you clearly travel overseas enough to have been able to convince the UK Gubmint that you need a second passport.  That is not an option for the vast majority so, again, is a strawman diversion.

PH

11 minutes ago, jayboy said:

This is not the practice followed by most long term residents.They usually keep their passports secure at home - usually in a safe - unless it needs to be shown for a particular purpose known in advance.They

Love to know where you did that research.

It's nonsense.