Officials warn of 100,000 THB fine for smoking on Hua Hin beach

webfact

52 minutes ago, webfact said:

The “Smoke-free Beach” campaign is being led by the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources, Region 3 (DMCR3) and aims to raise awareness about the dangers of smoking on the beach, both in terms of health and environmental impact.

So , if one is smoking at the designated smoking areas It should be safe to smoke in terms of health?  :thumbsup:

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

and aims to raise awareness about the dangers of smoking on the beach, both in terms of health and environmental impact.

Please omit 'on the beach' and it may make a bit more sense.

Smok-free and one yaer in prison ???? It’s not if there aren’t any foreigners around to ask for a quick check. 

Plus, it says ‘and put in jail for one year’ on the poster/banner, not ‘or’. Which is it? 

Edited by Wiggy
  • Haha 1

So there is a bit of a campaign for current users of the beach. When the next flight arrives will they continue to promote this or just wait until they catch someone and make a bit of money?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Purdey said:

So there is a bit of a campaign for current users of the beach. When the next flight arrives will they continue to promote this or just wait until they catch someone and make a bit of money?

Rhetorical question I assume? ????

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

On Thursday (Mar 23), officials visited the beach holding signs warning that anyone found smoking on the beach faces a hefty fine of up to 100,000 THB and/or 1 year in jail.

They really should add cigarettes to the advertisement just to rule out any confusion.

Some might remember short guys picking up ciggy buds and extorting 1,000-2,000 baht fines back in Bangkok some two decades ago (I guess). Very annoying were they, very!

However, there's another question of legal matter: who has an authority to prosecute smoker? and how they (who?) are going to do so? Is it complete lawlessness: some "vigilante" will jump on "a tourist" and scream "fetch the smoker"?

are they (who?) will use DNA test or classical "3 witnesses"?

maybe use of cameras to collect the evidence of "crime", but is it legal to shoot half-naked folks without their concern and written release?

Smoking on the beach is bad. Badly fouled air is OK. 

Nothing like locking up a tourist for smoking to engender goodwill and improve tourism. And to think that the tourist who posted about a bungee cord breaking damaged tourism. But somehow this doesn't? 

I don't like second hand smoke. But, I like intrusive and overbearing government officials even less. 

• Like 1

I’m a non smoker, but understand that people like to do the things they enjoy. 

I see nothing wrong with either smoking or drinking on a beach so long as it does not impact anyone else. 

IF the beach is busy and someones smoke blows into nearby individuals, then I am all for the banning of smoking on a beach. Meanwhile, if the beach is empty, I see nothing wrong with someone smoking when it impacts no one else. 

I suspect this is where the issue exists. In the past I've sat outside in a quiet restaurant with my Wife and Son (who was about 1 year at the time). A group of 4 people sat at the table next to us, one of them started smoking and holding the cigarette less than 1 meter from my Son who was sleeping in the push-chair. I had to speak up and ask the lady not to smoke... her response was "Its outside, I’m allowed to smoke - this is not a non-smoking area”.... I was beyond furious, but short of escalating the situation there was nothing I could do - we had to move inside...  But, I wanted to pour my drink over her head and then tell her... '"Its outside, this is not a water-free area” !!!

This is the rub.... while some smokers are considerate of their surroundings, there are those, it could be argued, many, are completely inconsiderate of those around them - because of these selfish people, discretion has to be removed and regulations need to be put into place. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Purdey said:

Flight to Hua Hin from where? Chiang Mai is the only flight...