When the farang do gooders take over

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

As you were a nurse all your life ,I guess you working with many men ...and women who were in same sex relationship eg gay people 

The only homosexual that I actually knew about was a technician that I worked with, not that he made a big deal about it at work.

I never met any openly lesbian at work, and I don't recall ever meeting one.

It's just not that common, in my experience.

There may have been more but they didn't talk about it. Actually it was rare for anyone to discuss their personal life.

I did meet a sergeant in the military ( before he had the op ) that became a trans, but that was way back when it was almost unknown of and he became a sort of celebrity with magazine articles about him/ her.

I gather that some people assume that a male nurse is a homosexual, but no one ever suggested that I was ( I'm not ).

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I gather that some people assume that a male nurse is a homosexual, but no one ever suggested that I was ( I'm not ).

No one has seriously thought this since the film, Carry On Nurse, circa 1959.

Luckily, we are fortunate enough to have one of the legendary stars of the Carry On films, Sid James, as a regular poster here.

Hopefully, he will weigh in.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LaosLover said:

No one has seriously thought this since the film, Carry On Nurse, circa 1959.

Luckily, we are fortunate enough to have one of the legendary stars of the Carry On films, Sid James, as a regular poster here.

Hopefully, he will weigh in.

I take it you are from a country that has many male nurses, but in my country when I started nursing male nurses were a rarity. I trained in the largest hospital in the country with about 800 nurses and there were only 6 male nurses. It's still not something boys grow up wanting to become.

Such attitudes were not uncommon back then.

It was quite unusual for me to work in the UK with loads of them, but still a significant minority.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:46 AM, rose33 said:

Great topic OP. Don't you just HATE it when do-gooders do good?

Though, I suspect that such random do-gooders are rather lacking in displays of truer goodness. In practice or theory. 

I might trust a curmudgeonly cynical type before engaging in such romantic embrace of the do-gooder [whatever that might be] 

8 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Though, I suspect that such random do-gooders are rather lacking in displays of truer goodness. In practice or theory. 

I might trust a curmudgeonly cynical type before engaging in such romantic embrace of the do-gooder [whatever that might be] 

Please rephrase your comments for clarity, so we can talk about your concerns.

• Haha 1

I used to be a New Yorker living in Appalachia.

It was the same brain dead regurgitation of Fox New talking points about transplants "ruining" their purity with their wicked ways.

But when a Starbucks opened, it was all locals waiting on line for coffee. The new sushi bar filled up too.

Christians generally keep a low profile theses days - there aren't many left and most keep to themselves and are are not like the ones the OP describes. 

The real zealots these days are the woke activists that take offence at any innocent comment. They denounce people, cancelling them and getting them fired for disagreeing with their creed and woke gospels. A wicked and intolerant lot, who have taken over many institutions in the west. Let's hope they don't get a foothold in Thailand, but thankfully Thailand is conservative in many ways so it's unlikely. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Christians generally keep a low profile theses days - there aren't many left and most keep to themselves and are are not like the ones the OP describes. 

The real zealots these days are the woke activists that take offence at any innocent comment. They denounce people, cancelling them and getting them fired for disagreeing with their creed and woke gospels. A wicked and intolerant lot, who have taken over many institutions in the west. Let's hope they don't get a foothold in Thailand, but thankfully Thailand is conservative in many ways so it's unlikely. 

Fair enough, but you should define 'woke' or your comments lack context.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 6:40 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree. IMO they are so dumb that they don't realise that if Thailand changed to the way they want it, it would be just like the <deleted> place they escaped from.

Most of us wanted to live in LOS because it WASN'T like the <deleted> place we escaped from.

Indeed.

It's quite obvious that this set simply doesn't get it whatsoever. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sidneybear said:

What exactly have all these "counselors" achieved anyway? They've been around for years but look at how degraded western society has become. Let's face it, the world would actually be a better place if people even tried to follow the ten commandments. 

As for the western world turning into a theocracy, wokism bears all the hallmarks of one, so you might have a point. In the absence of Christianity, even in its mildest forms, some countries like Britain may eventually become Islamic theocracies too. People, it seems, need to believe in something. 

Believing in Islam is just as credible as believing in Christianity. People, it seems, don;t need religion in any of its forms. Why do you believe they do? The presence of the church in schools has been highly destructive to say the least.

Wokeism is a theocracy now? I won't say what I think that that logic.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The presence of the church in schools has been highly destructive to say the least

In what ways? There's nothing particularly destructive about the ten commandments, or their equivalents in all the main religions. It's hard to follow them, but those who do are honest, decent and are of no threat to society. Non-religious people (who don't really exist because people have to believe in something) would do well to follow the ones that forbid murder, theft, envy, shagging your neighbour's wife, etc.

"Counselors", on the other hand, preaching this or that woke gospel, haven't seemed to have improved society at all, despite getting paid handsomely to talk a lot of pernicious nonsense.

Edited by sidneybear
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's exclusive for parents and children of atheists and any other religion. There is supposed to be a separation of church and government, not a marriage. I guess you really do want to see a theocracy. This is just the state sticking its finger in the nose of anyone who isn't a practicing Christian.

Let me count the number of priests who committed sexual offenses against children in schools. I'd need a supercomputer.

Do you have a problem with counselors having actual academic qualifications working in academic institutions?

I don't want to see a theocracy, far from it. My point is that your attack on the ten commandments in favour of "counselors" is misguided. There's nothing wrong with living a wholesome life, and Christianity in no way prevents that from happening. Indeed, Christianity was a founding philosophy of the giants of the past, upon whose shoulders we sit. Fact is, Christianity has done a lot of good in the world. 

As for those phoney priests who commit sexual offences, they are just evil people pretending to be religious. It's unfair to say that such behaviour is a Christian trait, when it's actually a criminal trait.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Religion is a scourge against civilisation. History shows that. The ten commandments are far from necessary to teach people to lead a wholesome life. An actual quality education will always do that, regardless of the presence of religion or the ten commandments in particular. The behaviour of many churches, especially the SBC, demonstrate that the ten commandments on the wall means nothing at all.

Religion brings joy and happiness to a great many people. Take Thailand, for example: it certainly isn't a theocracy, and people are free to believe in what they want to believe. That said, religion is a thread that runs through Thai society, bringing joy and encouraging people to do the right thing. Not everyone succeeds, of course, but the genuinely Buddhist Thais I've met are delightful and decent people, whom I could trust with my life. 

Now if you think that's a 'scourge', then that's your prerogative. But (genuinely) religious people do seem to have a certain contentment, one that isn't derived from reliance on scientific explanations for everything. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Religion brings joy and happiness to a great many people. Take Thailand, for example: it certainly isn't a theocracy, and people are free to believe in what they want to believe. That said, religion is a thread that runs through Thai society, bringing joy and encouraging people to do the right thing. Not everyone succeeds, of course, but the genuinely Buddhist Thais I've met are delightful and decent people, whom I could trust with my life. 

Now if you think that's a 'scourge', then that's your prerogative. But (genuinely) religious people do seem to have a certain contentment, one that isn't derived from reliance on scientific explanations for everything. 

I guess Cardinal Pell and his friends were committed religious people? I prefer to rely on scientific explanations for everything. One is the human mind and the other is mindlessness.

• Like 2

Just now, sidneybear said:

Again, it's unfair, and even bigoted, to tarnish millions of Christians over the actions of a small minority of criminals. 

As for science, anything that hasn't been proven empirically is up for debate, and its theories are often debunked. Science hasn't yet found answers to the most fundamental questions, and makes lots of about turns. It's overrated in many ways as an answer to everything, when at its outer reaches (like why were here) it's just a bunch of academics debating differing nebulous hypotheses in the hope that they'll keep getting funded.

It isn't a small minority when the sin reaches the highest echelons. As for the Thais, as you rightly pointed out, they have a secular government. Exactly my point. We want religion out of government.

But for science you wouldn't be alive.