Land Property Tax

scubascuba3

There has been a rash of land clearing and banana trees being planted around us where the property has been left to become overgrown for many years. My neighbor informs me this is being done to avoid paying property taxes on the unused land which this year is being penalized and taxed at the highest levels.

Waiting for my tax bill to arrive as well.  

20 minutes ago, connda said:

Whatever you're paying, it's peanuts compared to the US.

Last year it was some ridiculously small amount.  I'm not complaining.

but that's not the question. The letters seem to want me to go to Pattaya City Hall, which is just unnecessary, last year i just got the bill and paid it.  i suspect the letter is standard so i wondered what others were doing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

There has been a rash of land clearing and banana trees being planted around us where the property has been left to become overgrown for many years. My neighbor informs me this is being done to avoid paying property taxes on the unused land which this year is being penalized and taxed at the highest levels.

I also wondered the efforts many land owners are willing to take to avoid minor tax. Matter of principle I guess, at any cost!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

but that's not the question. The letters seem to want me to go to Pattaya City Hall, which is just unnecessary, last year i just got the bill and paid it.  i suspect the letter is standard so i wondered what others were doing

Ahhh.  I understand.  And your frustration.  Got it.  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How can it be your tax bill when foreigners can not own land .

Perhaps you mean you are waiting for your partners tax bill 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Condo owners have to pay it as well

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I think there is no need to go to Pattaya City Hall to respond to the first "notice" unless City hall needs to be advised of anything not current or in error on that notice.  If all is correct, just wait for the bill.

BTW, if you have a condo that is your "primary residence", & a yellow book for that specific condo which confirms it is your "primary" residence, then show the yellow book to City Hall to have the tax "forgiven" (if the condo assessment does not exceed a ceiling amt, perhaps 5 million baht).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OneZero said:

I think there is no need to go to Pattaya City Hall to respond to the first "notice" unless City hall needs to be advised of anything not current or in error on that notice.  If all is correct, just wait for the bill.

BTW, if you have a condo that is your "primary residence", & a yellow book for that specific condo which confirms it is your "primary" residence, then show the yellow book to City Hall to have the tax "forgiven" (if the condo assessment does not exceed a ceiling amt, perhaps 5 million baht).

Perfect answer ????. i considered getting a yellow book a year or two ago but it's just too onerous at PCH, so i decided reluctantly to just pay it. Someone worked out it would take about 20 years to make the cost of yellow book worthwhile

• Like 2

10 hours ago, itsari said:

You still pay tax on your properties be it the land or the improvements on the land.

13 hours ago, connda said:

Whatever you're paying, it's peanuts compared to the US.

Last year it was some ridiculously small amount.  I'm not complaining.

Not sure why we need to compare to the USA! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, mran66 said:

I also wondered the efforts many land owners are willing to take to avoid minor tax. Matter of principle I guess, at any cost!

I visited the tax office to show them my yellow book. They updated a record and then assured me I didn't need to pay the tax and to ignore future notices.

Few besides myself are capable of such an extraordinary effort, so I understand the need by most to continue paying year after year. Cheers!

21 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I assume the bill will follow like it did last year? I'm just surprised they just don't send the bill out

I was told that this year we shall pay in June, last year it was April. That's where I live, I cannot say it's the same in all provinces. You better check payment time – bill or not – as you will pay fine and penalty interest, if you pay late...:whistling:

• Like 1

I've not even received any preliminary paperwork here in South Pattaya, let alone a bill. Before the pandemic it was 7,500 Baht/year for my house, then two years at around 50 Baht, followed by about 500 Baht last year. I guess it will revert to the full 7,500 Baht this year, though I hope there are no nasty surprises in store, like a bill that's even higher again.

My advice is wait for the bill to arrive , normally they arrive in mid April , I know a guy in Jomtiem who last went in and asked for his bill . The staff who then searched for his address found there outdated system hadn't issued a bill for his place for 12 years and then a few days later he got an invoice for 54,000 baht.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just talked to the Pattaya City Hall at 038 253 149 - the department that is responsible for this tax. The lady there told me that they will send out the bills in May. Her English wasn't very good. Hope that this is correct. Does anyone have a different information?

16 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Just talked to the Pattaya City Hall at 038 253 149 - the department that is responsible for this tax. The lady there told me that they will send out the bills in May. Her English wasn't very good. Hope that this is correct. Does anyone have a different information?

Sounds about right, i received the first letter last month, asks you to go to PCH, which is pointless because no bill and same as last year. I'll wait for the bill

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds about right, i received the first letter last month, asks you to go to PCH, which is pointless because no bill and same as last year. I'll wait for the bill

I got a letter with the size and registration numbers for my condo where I was asked to correct anything that is wrong. Nothing else so far this year.

• 5 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, marino28 said:

Anyone receive the letter for pay the property tax this year?

mine not arrive yet

Received ours this week by reg mail. (stand alone property)

15% reduction due date jun 30.

Edit add.. not Pattaya but adjacent province but think reduction and due date same.

Edited by terryq
  • Like 1

Nothing whatsoever from them this year. Surprising when it should be back to the full amount for the first time since 2019, I thought they'd be dead eager to get it in the mayor's city's bank account, lol.