Is it possible to retire to the Phillipines, what conditions are there?

Subic is not Pattaya, unless you are referring to a few beach bars outside the city.  So housing will not be as modern or likely in as good condition but cheap accommodations are available - you might want to search YouTube videos for more information.   But in general it will be looking like Thailand a few decades ago (not that that is so bad).  I have heard fresh food is much lower quality that even Angeles (which also has a lot more activity and places to live/eat if you do not need to live on the water).  

• Like 1

Really don't believe there is much in the way of expats in the Subic area anymore - the Covid restrictions were a nightmare and expect some have moved to other areas - know one moved to Angeles and seemed to be happy with the move.  It is only a short drive to beach if want to visit.

Check out Utube on rents, but bet you'll find higher rent and lower quality condition than Thailand. Unless you want that third worldish experience, I'd pick Thailand every time to live. I haven't been to Subic since 2019, it's fun to visit, just not to live.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Check out Utube on rents, but bet you'll find higher rent and lower quality condition than Thailand. Unless you want that third worldish experience, I'd pick Thailand every time to live. I haven't been to Subic since 2019, it's fun to visit, just not to live.

8-9 years back my Ex went back to Uni to finish her degree & over the years I rented 2 different apartments for her in Davao City, both we're >15,000 THB equivalent & would go for more like 5,000 THB in Pattaya.

1 thing you need to make sure is that the room has hot water & AirCon, I viewed rooms that didn't have them (or had them but the boiler/AC Unit was owned by the tenant & they were taking the units with them) so you were expected to provide your own or go without! 

Another example, 5-6 years ago I considered a job move to Bonifacio Global City & looking at the Condo prices for units within walking distance of the office, they were more expensive than what I was paying in Singapore for similar units.

BGC is a really nice place though, if I had to work/live in Manila I'd want to live in the BGC/Taquig area but for retirement I would choose Cebu or Davao & they remain my plan B from Thailand. 

• Agree 1

Surprised no one has mentioned the Philippines lies in Typhoon Alley.  While not an everyday occurrence they can be a pain when they do hit.

Another plus about Thailand is no typhoons.

Other than better English for communication my opinion is Thailand is still the better option.  Better infrastructure and safer too.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2024 at 1:49 AM, G_Money said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Philippines lies in Typhoon Alley.  While not an everyday occurrence they can be a pain when they do hit.

Another plus about Thailand is no typhoons.

Other than better English for communication my opinion is Thailand is still the better option.  Better infrastructure and safer too.

70% of the Phillipines isn't really affected.

"Plus for Thailand" - Nah.

• Agree 1

To add to the earlier comments on the SRRV visa, if you are retired military from a historic ally of the Philippines (such as the U.S.), and are age 50+ with $1,000+ monthoy pension, the deposit requirement is just $1,500.  This covers the applicant and up to 2 dependents.  I believe that the $1,400 application fee still applies but am not certain of that. 

Important to note also that the SRRV allows the visa holder to work in the Philippines.

The SRRV is a lifetime visa.  I believe that there may be a modest renewal fee every 1-3 years (?).

Other benefits:

• Indefinite stay with multiple-entry and exit privileges.
  • Exemption from the Philippine Bureau of Immigration ACR-I Card (Annual Report).
  • Exemption from customs duties and taxes for importing household goods and personal effects worth up to $7,000.
  • Exemption from Student Visa/Study Permit. Your children can study in the Philippines without a visa.
  • Access to the Greet & Assist Program at selected Philippine airports.
  • Free subscription to the PRA Newsletter.
  • Discount privileges from PRA accredited Merchant Partners.
  • Free assistance in transacting with other government agencies.
  • Entitlement to PHILHEALTH benefits & privileges.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 8:21 AM, ChrisP24 said:

To add to the earlier comments on the SRRV visa, if you are retired military from a historic ally of the Philippines (such as the U.S.), and are age 50+ with $1,000+ monthoy pension, the deposit requirement is just $1,500.  This covers the applicant and up to 2 dependents.  I believe that the $1,400 application fee still applies but am not certain of that. 

Important to note also that the SRRV allows the visa holder to work in the Philippines.

The SRRV is a lifetime visa.  I believe that there may be a modest renewal fee every 1-3 years (?).

Other benefits:

• Indefinite stay with multiple-entry and exit privileges.
  • Exemption from the Philippine Bureau of Immigration ACR-I Card (Annual Report).
  • Exemption from customs duties and taxes for importing household goods and personal effects worth up to $7,000.
  • Exemption from Student Visa/Study Permit. Your children can study in the Philippines without a visa.
  • Access to the Greet & Assist Program at selected Philippine airports.
  • Free subscription to the PRA Newsletter.
  • Discount privileges from PRA accredited Merchant Partners.
  • Free assistance in transacting with other government agencies.
  • Entitlement to PHILHEALTH benefits & privileges.

It looks like there's a $360 yearly fee for the SRRV. So essentially the same cost as getting your tourist visa extended. From the govt link on srrv:

Screenshot_20240423_184811_Iron.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

It looks like there's a $360 yearly fee for the SRRV. So essentially the same cost as getting your tourist visa extended. From the govt link on srrv:

Screenshot_20240423_184811_Iron.jpg

Does the police clearance keep the shady farang out? something Thailand needs

• Agree 1

On 4/5/2023 at 11:41 AM, xylophone said:

as long as I can access any food from a market or supermarket, then I can cook it to my liking,

but the vegetables are anemic and the product selection is <deleted>, especially outside a major metropolitan area. If you cook Western-style food you will always be searching for ingredients or trying to come up with a replacement. 

4 hours ago, gargamon said:

There's a maximum of 3 years that you can extend your tourist visa (not even a visa, just the 30 day stamp you get on arrival) so you would need to add in the costs of a trip outside of the Philippines.

Plus it seems like some immigration offices are cracking down on people (ab)using tourist "Visas" to live in the country & have scrapped the 6 month extensions so you can now only get 2 months which means the extension costs for the 1st year could be...

- 29 days free 

- 30 day extension = 3,030

- 60 day extension = 9,700 PHP

= 51,350 PHP or approx. $900 USD 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 2

On 4/24/2024 at 6:43 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Does the police clearance keep the shady farang out? something Thailand needs

Most criminals had a clean record before they committed a crime. So I like Thailand's approach of just declaring every 'Farang' dirty and unwanted.

On 4/24/2024 at 7:31 AM, Mike Teavee said:

There's a maximum of 3 years that you can extend your tourist visa (not even a visa, just the 30 day stamp you get on arrival) so you would need to add in the costs of a trip outside of the Philippines.

Plus it seems like some immigration offices are cracking down on people (ab)using tourist "Visas" to live in the country & have scrapped the 6 month extensions so you can now only get 2 months which means the extension costs for the 1st year could be...

- 29 days free 

- 30 day extension = 3,030

= 51,350 PHP or approx. $900 USD

Yes, it's rumors and its spreading everywhere right now. However, the reality is, it's just the people who had a bad experience scream the loudest. The cases mount, indeed, but it's still case to case. You might get longer extensions in province A than B. Also, people report that they have been asked if they are married and without proof have been issues longer extensions.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

Most criminals had a clean record before they committed a crime. So I like Thailand's approach of just declaring every 'Farang' dirty and unwanted.

I'm sure a criminal record check would catch a lot of shady farang, including you?