Can someone help me understand?

Batty

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Laptop schmaptop, they're all variations on a theme. In the same way as a Honda-trained mechanic will have no problems working on a Toyota when he quits for more money or better conditions... and vice versa. If your car goes tits-up and is out of warranty, do you take it to the dealership?

BTW, my name isn't Somchai.

Maybe that was the case 30 years ago with carburetors and all that.

Now the Honda garage has a Honda computer and the Toyota garage has a Toyota computer. And they are not interchangeable.

For computers, after some basic diagnosis, and when it is likely that the hardware is the problem, then it is easiest to try to exchange one part with exactly the same new part and look if that fixes the problem. Lenovo will have many of those parts in stock. Take out, put a new one in, try, done in 10 minutes.

Somchai might be able to find the same error, and he might be able to get the same part, but it will take a lot longer.

And for the record, I PCs are part of my job since DOS. 

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I would try replacing the battery. If it's an old model, it may be difficult to find? Not sure. Check online. 

It could be just the power cord. I had issues with a power cord once. Try a new power cord.

Other than that, no clue. 

Take it to Fortune Town Bangkok. On the third floor is Nick at Pro Corner. He speaks good English. He will soon sort things for you.

You haven't said what you want to use it for. Unless it's for something heavily graphic-related then you can probably find a new, basic but perfectly adequate, PC for not much more than 10,000. You might consider that is a decent price to pay to end banging your head against a wall.

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now the Honda garage has a Honda computer and the Toyota garage has a Toyota computer. And they are not interchangeable.

For computers, after some basic diagnosis, and when it is likely that the hardware is the problem, then it is easiest to try to exchange one part with exactly the same new part and look if that fixes the problem. Lenovo will have many of those parts in stock. Take out, put a new one in, try, done in 10 minutes.

Somchai might be able to find the same error, and he might be able to get the same part, but it will take a lot longer.

And for the record, I PCs are part of my job since DOS. 

I can't speak to computers, but diagnostic modules for Honda, Toyota and many other makes are readily available. 

Getting proprietary parts is a much different issue. 

6 hours ago, Batty said:

I inquired as to what, exactly, the problem might be, but all he could offer me was a goofy gormless smile with the accompanying "cannot" ... Gupta said ... in a similar vein to Somchai

"I took it to a local somchai ...a goofy gormless smile... Gupta said...".

Maybe they recognised your unwarranted superior, arrogant attitude that you displayed and just didn't want to help you?  I wouldn't blame them.

Regardless, I have an Asus that intermittently didn't want to boot up and then, finally, no reaction at all from the power button.  PC Service (K. Puung), 4th Floor, IT Mall, Fortune Town 02 642 0630, 02 642 1111, 081 944 3589, had it fixed for B2,500 in two days.  No idea what the problem was except that it was "electronic"...and fixed.  Maybe they could fix yours.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

My brother in law back in the UK repairs computers and even he says that Laptops are a lot harder to repair than desktops. With desktops there is plenty of room to work and each component is easily removable. Not so with laptops.

A friend dropped his laptop on the floor. No damage except to the laptops charging point. It still worked perfectly while the power lasted. However what he considered a simple repair was met with ' cannots ' at every place he tried in MBK. Had to get a new one.

Recently we tried to get our Samsung smart TV repaired by Samsung out of warranty. Two Samsung engineers came around and wanted to take our TV to their office for repairs. But they warned us it would not be cheap and advised us to get a new one since if anything else went wrong they would not be liable.

A computer is much more complex and difficult to diagnose and repair than a car. And if it was a firmware problem (one of the chips went nuts) rather than simple electric problem (one of the capacitors or MOSFETs died) then it might be impossible to repair as the firmwares are not publicly available, hence "can not".

Also note that computers differ from common household electronics, the latter are easy to diagnose and repair because they are usually made using a single layer Print Circuit Board - all electric wires are visible and you could trace the electric signal to determine which of the chips or other components is faulty. And computers are much more difficult to diagnose because they are made with multiple layer PCB - some electic wires are INSIDE the motherboard so it is simply impossible to trace the signal and determine which of the components is dead.

Edited by fdsa

Just my thoughts (I'm no expert), you took the laptop to the Somchai shop. (You could still power it on.) Somchai was convinced that he could repair it within a short time. - You later went to pick it up. There was just a 'black screen'. Someone must have f****d things up, so that everyone now 'cannot'. 

Lenovo, or some shops at MBK are, IMHO, your best bets...

Just now, Ralf001 said:

OP posts they were engineers.......... not clowns !!

Took me seconds to find the likely issue. I agree with the OP that “cannot” is not an acceptable reply from an “engineer”. 

7 hours ago, NextG said:

If the clowns to whom you gave it didn’t break it completely, it should still work with an external monitor. 

Why, if they didn't break it completely, would it not work with its own display? Currently, it has no power, so first things first. 

19 minutes ago, NextG said:

Took me seconds to find the likely issue.

The likely issue with the OP. What's the likely issue with laptop you determined again? I seem to have missed it.

Pre-Somchai, good info could have been had, maybe even a fix implemented w/o Lenovo. What might have been . . . .

9 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Why, if they didn't break it completely, would it not work with its own display? Currently, it has no power, so first things first. 

The likely issue with the OP. What's the likely issue with laptop you determined again? I seem to have missed it.

Pre-Somchai, good info could have been had, maybe even a fix implemented w/o Lenovo. What might have been . . . .

Try actually reading what I posted earlier and return if there are any other questions. 

In the case of you genuinely missing it, here it is again:

….with regard to the Lenovo Yoga 520 gimmicky nonsense, wherein folding it into Tablet Mode causes the cable connecting the screen to fray and break, rendering symptoms such as flickering, freezing, blackout etc”

I didn’t include a link earlier: https://www.classaction.org/lenovo-yoga-flickering-freezing-black-screen-lawsuits

Edited by NextG

On 4/2/2023 at 11:09 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

But KNOWLEDGE is interchangeable.

They may use bespoke software to access CAN bus systems for vehicle fault analysis but probably the only thing that's unique on any workshop's 'computer' is the GUI. In IT geek world, most people easily migrate from XP, to 7 to 10 and even Linux and the hardware means little. In mechanics geek world, they can quickly learn to operate the software and diagnose a different manufacturer's vehicle. I run Forscan on my smartphone via OBDII for DIY maintenance and my qualification in life is a City & Guilds in Cheese Mechanics from Dunbar University. Forscan software works on both Ford AND GM builds so I've assisted my mate with his legacy Chevy as well.

The susceptibility of MOSFET's to be easily damaged is also the root cause of most modern vehicles 'computer' or Control Module issues. They mostly use MOSFET outputs to do simple things like switching the low beam or high beam. The main benefit of these systems is a reduction in the need to run heavier gauge wires and multiple fused circuits.

Somchai's rock!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Denim said:

My brother in law back in the UK repairs computers and even he says that Laptops are a lot harder to repair than desktops. With desktops there is plenty of room to work and each component is easily removable. Not so with laptops.

A friend dropped his laptop on the floor. No damage except to the laptops charging point. It still worked perfectly while the power lasted. However what he considered a simple repair was met with ' cannots ' at every place he tried in MBK. Had to get a new one.

Recently we tried to get our Samsung smart TV repaired by Samsung out of warranty. Two Samsung engineers came around and wanted to take our TV to their office for repairs. But they warned us it would not be cheap and advised us to get a new one since if anything else went wrong they would not be liable.

My FIL fixes flatscreens most every day. 

23 hours ago, fdsa said:

A computer is much more complex and difficult to diagnose and repair than a car. And if it was a firmware problem (one of the chips went nuts) rather than simple electric problem (one of the capacitors or MOSFETs died) then it might be impossible to repair as the firmwares are not publicly available, hence "can not".

Also note that computers differ from common household electronics, the latter are easy to diagnose and repair because they are usually made using a single layer Print Circuit Board - all electric wires are visible and you could trace the electric signal to determine which of the chips or other components is faulty. And computers are much more difficult to diagnose because they are made with multiple layer PCB - some electic wires are INSIDE the motherboard so it is simply impossible to trace the signal and determine which of the components is dead.

Not an auto mechanic then? 

On 4/2/2023 at 8:03 AM, NanLaew said:

Cannot.

Sure, I can explain it to you like you're 5!

A computer is like a big puzzle made up of lots of tiny pieces. Sometimes those pieces don't work together the way they're supposed to, and that can make the computer not work the way it should.

For example, sometimes the computer's memory might get too full and it can't think clearly anymore. Or maybe a wire inside the computer gets disconnected and it can't send messages to the other parts of the computer.

There are lots of different things that can go wrong with a computer, but usually it's something that can be fixed with a little bit of help.