Thousands hospitalized due to air pollution in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

by Miabell Mallikka 

Severe air pollution in Chiang Mai, Thailand, has led to more than 12,000 people being admitted to Maharaj Chiang Mai Hospital since the New Year.

“Now, the hospital it is overcrowded,” says Dr. Bannakit Lojanapiawat to The Nation Thailand.

Forest fires and burnt rubbish have led to air pollution by dangerous particles. The pollution in Chiang Mai is described as the worst in the world and is considered dangerous according to IQAir.

Full story: https://scandasia.com/several-thousand-hospitalized-due-to-air-pollution-in-thailand/

sca.jpg

-- © Copyright ScandAsia 2023-04-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Three villages in Chiang Mai declared pollution disaster zones

image.png

Three villages in Mueang and Hang Dong districts of Chiang Mai have been declared disaster zones by the provincial administration, as people in the northern capital are being choked by PM2.5 dust, the level of which is many times higher than Thailand’s safety level of 50-microns in many areas.

Deputy Governor Chatchawarl Panya, acting on behalf of the governor, issued an announcement on Friday declaring Village 7 in Bang Pong sub-district of Hang Don district, Village 3 in Mae Hia sub-district and Village 12 in Suthep sub-district of Mueang district to be disaster zones.

According to the Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act, the government and local government agencies and relevant parts of the private sector will now step in to provide help to the residents of the three villages within three months.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/three-villages-in-chiang-mai-declared-pollution-disaster-zones/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

Majority of farmers live in the North/North East. Poorer people also, which means less educated. I pay for rubbish collection, they never come past my home and I presume many others in my city

That is not correct, rice production for example is spread fairly evenly throughout the country, except in the southern provinces which are dominated by other crops such as rubber and palm. The central plains are heavily concentrated rice growing areas, all the way down to the Bangkok  suburbs, yet burning and pollution levels are much lower in those areas.

1541468398_Screenshot(96).png.63054c8a6e2b554dc9a14167f04f0810.png

https://www.nectec.or.th/ace2018/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/S01_AI_Dr.Noppadon.pdf

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Sig said:

I can't speak for Chiangmai much, but in Maehongson, it is not far greater today at all, it's just as bad as two decades ago. The only thing that has been likely to have changed is the amount of money in some particular persons' pockets who formed some sort of "Stop the Smoke!" campaign every year. I remember, I believe it was 2003, being amazed at how you could probably sit there and stare at the sun, or the direction it appeared to be in but was maybe not able to be pinpointed exactly, for an hour and it probably wouldn't bother you in the least. The smoke was so thick, it stunned me how people could live in it... then I proceeded to do just that! hahaha I've often wondered what the lifespan of the villagers is like in areas like this compared to other areas of Thailand. There is no getting away from it in Maehongson, at least for the people I work with, since many of them live in homes that are not even remotely able to be sealed... with gaps in the wood or made from bamboo and no glass in the windows and gaps between the top of the walls and the roof with no sealed-off ceiling. I'd be willing to bet that there is a statistically significant difference in life expectancy in areas like this and a MUCH higher rate of respiratory diseases/illnesses.

I will be extremely surprised if the AQI numbers in places such as Maehongson today are similar to what they were twenty years ago. The reason for this in part is because during the past two decades, use of contract farming in Shan State and Laos has increased exponentially year on year, mostly as a result of a ban on Maize cultivation in Southern China. Some where out there is a Greenpeace report on this aspect which suggests that burning has increased as a result, by over 1,000% during that period. By contrast, agriculture in Thailand as a percentage of  GDP has decreased over the same period as ex-agri. workers have moved into tourism services. This means there has almost certainly been a transfer of the source of burning, from upcountry Thailand, to neighboring countries. 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, patman30 said:

All depends what time and day you look at the map

w2.png

Yes I agree, time of day is seriously important, which underpins the role the inversion layer plays since the colder dense air warms and rises in the course of the day. And also, Friday and Saturday nights are by far the worst, for obvious reasons.

2 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm…. Why would this be new news. Chiang mai has had polution problems for a least a decade. Maybe someone just woke up?

Doubt it, and I doubt anything wconstructive will be done for the 10 or even 15 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm so pleased that I chose to live in Pattaya. I went to Chiang Mai once, before I knew about its pollution problems and thought it would be a boring place to live. Now since I've been reading about the smog they have to contend with for long periods, I can't understand why any farang would want to live there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1