Thailand Reverses Visa Policy for Tourists From 60 Countries

snoop1130

Interesting move, unclear intention though. An American friend from Nebraska wanted to spend a six-weeks summer vacation with his family of totally five here in Thailand. 
As things stand, he needs to apply for visas at USD 200/stamp which will add USD 1'000 on the trip costs which he is not willing to pay ........... your call! 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

As things stand, he needs to apply for visas at USD 200/stamp which will add USD 1'000 on the trip costs which he is not willing to pay ........... your call!

So he allegedly intended popping in and out of Thailand in that 6 weeks did he? 

10 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

Those extra 15 days was great for me. 30 days never seems to be enough and I usually extend for another 30 days. I end up leaving the country before the extended 30 days. The 45 day VOA was just right for me and would like to see it come back.

Why did you find it so difficult to understand that you should have a tourist visa like other countries.

Thailand makes it easy , but it is never enough for some people.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

As things stand, he needs to apply for visas at USD 200/stamp which will add USD 1'000 on the trip costs which he is not willing to pay

False information.

A tourist visa is in the $30 - $50 range.

tourist visa is $40 via an embassy, abit more online
the 30- to 45 day visa exempt and 15 to30 day VOA was to kickstart and help promote tourism after 2 years of Covid.
Job Accomplished!

why does anyone have a problem that?

sometimes i get the feeling people here post just to see their posts, yet they say nothing

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

False information.

A tourist visa is in the $30 - $50 range.

It's $40 for single entry, $200 for a METV hence my question to determine whether he was just talking <deleted> or his "friend" is just too dumb to plan a multistop vacation that would negate the need for a visa.

It would be easier all round for all countries if they made the 60 day tourist visa easy to apply for. As it is, not everyone bothers with it as it’s too complicated , especially the evisa application.  They have closed most of the Embassies abroad , and those still open are mostly shamefully unfriendly.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Salerno said:

It's $40 for single entry, $200 for a METV hence my question to determine whether he was just talking <deleted> or his "friend" is just too dumb to plan a multistop vacation that would negate the need for a visa.

The post never mentioned leaving Thailand so a 60 day would be all that was required. As  suggested, waiting more than 30 days to visit another country in a 6 week stay would be a bit dumb.

"An American friend from Nebraska wanted to spend a six-weeks summer vacation with his family of totally five here in Thailand. "

Bit out of touch with TVs these days but think it is £45 in the UK. I came here regularly for about 4-6 weeks in the 9 years prior to moving here in 2008. Very seldom used visa exemption, normally a 60 day TV.

• Like 1

Having longer VOA or visa exempt entries reduces the opportunity for 1900 baht visa extensions. You should realise that the majority of funding for the Immigration Police, in common with other Thai state institutions, comes from the imposition of fees and fines.

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

Brought this up a couple of times previously without any real satisfactory answer.

How does one go about this when it is a requirement to have a return flight booking within the 30 day period?

Fine, change the stay options, but then there is the above problem plus any inter-connecting flight/travel bookings that need to be rescheduled.

Usually at a rather large cost and inconvienience.

Better all around to get a 60 day visa entry, which, as pointed out before, means Aus passport has to do a minimum "to Sydney and back" round trip also at additional cost.

In 30 years of coming to Thailand regularly, I have *never once* had to show an onward ticket at arrival immigration.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, geisha said:

As it is, not everyone bothers with it as it’s too complicated , especially the evisa application.  

People are more than happy to adapt to modern technology when it suits them, when it doesn't suit it is all "too complicated".

Without a doubt the Laos and Vietnamese e-visa  process is much simpler than the Thai but Thailand is much more progressive in that there is a multitude of visa options available.

You cannot enter Laos without a visa and if you are lucky you may get 15 days visa exemption for Vietnam, but no one ever complains about that.

4 minutes ago, SportRider said:

In 30 years of coming to Thailand regularly, I have *never once* had to show an onward ticket at arrival immigration.

Nobody has, because those airlines that insist on it won't let them board until they rectify the issue. Thai immigration don't care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Leaving after 8 days to Vietnam (attending a wedding) and returning on the 10th day leaving 35 days. A single entry visa will be used at the next touch down in Thailand (i.e. for the first eight day stay) - you figure.

Nothing to do with being "dumb" or "talking <deleted>", despite your uncalled-for accusations and wrong assumptions ;-) 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SportRider said:

A bit the same here, only time was when I got picked up for ony 5 months on passport. When I went to Vietnam a couple of years ago on visa exemption the IO insisted on seeing the return flight. I hadn't thought about it and my wife had the tickets and she had already gone through. Bit of a performance getting her back to the desk.

1 hour ago, Hakuna Matata said:

No, I don't think so. I wish they reduced it to 14 days for all countries. Those who want to stay longer than 2 weeks are not real tourists. Many of them take jobs from local people and are involved in criminal activity!

If this was true it would imply no need for actual Tourist Visas.

Thailand's regulations, now there on, now there off, now there back on.

It's a joke and a revolving door here, the way they announce then they're unannounced and re-announced regulations changes. 

Edited by berrec
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Leaving after 8 days to Vietnam (attending a wedding) and returning on the 10th day leaving 35 days. A single entry visa will be used at the next touch down in Thailand (i.e. for the first eight day stay) - you figure.

Nothing to do with being "dumb" or "talking <deleted>", despite your uncalled-for accusations and wrong assumptions ????

Of course it is "dumb" to think there is something wrong with 30 days visa exemption because it inconveniences you.

Tell me, how many days visa exemption does the US offer to Thai nationals?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Exactly. They should abandon visa exemption altogether and we wouldn't have all this whinging.

Should be 60 days on entry, 30 days ext'n.

After that you need a full visa.

• Haha 2

They have been understanding to booster tourism during tough times, first there was the 60 day covid extension which everyone abused, then the extension to 45 days, it all worked out and tourists are flocking to Thailand like seasonal birds, breathing in the polluted air and enjoying getting  scammed by authorities who are suppose to protect them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, radiochaser said:

I will be traveling to Thailand in June this year.  I have a return ticket from Thailand to U.S. of A. in August, so longer than 30 days. 

But wife (who will go in July) and I will travel to Vietnam for a week then return to Thailand on one of the airlines.    As I understand the VOA (or visa exempt), I will have 30 days when I first arrive.   I will also have a new 30 day VOA when I return to Thailand by air from Vietnam and will not have to apply for an extension to my first arrival. 

Is my understanding of the 30 VOA issue correct? 

update on Vietnam is or will in June have 30 days entry free have heard they are seriously considering 45 days After Thailand cancelled these  & reinstate 3 monthly evisa or multiple re-entry no restrictions land or by air Reason lacking tourism ?  Vn Gov very slow react ! l have been Vn 5 months going on monthly visa runs  hcmc to Moc Bai to expensive $127 US per month via visa run company's changes are coming to late for myself 2 months ago decided go back Philippines can  stay upto 3 years on tourist visa renewal local immigration office approx cost = $30 US per month 

Edited by Mad mick
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

thai logic...same as raising room rates during low season...some things in life we were never meant to understand

Thai "Auntie (Anti) Logic" - same as putting prices up in the bars when they have no customers!

Vietnam as fromJune 2023 ! Are allowing 45 day entry free visa + bringing back 3 monthly evisa multiple re-entry,  presenting 1 month visa can re-entervia land unlimited ! Only problems its expensive to use visa run companies approx cost round trip rtn same day $127 US per month after 5 months lm over the border runs stuck in HCMC to Moc Bai is pain long-term stay ! Already made arrangements go back Philippines prior to this announcement in June ? 3 year tourist visa Philippines more attractive to myself renewal inside Philippines local immigration office = $30 US per month normal 30 day free entry However must have departure ticket prior to enter buy some cheap throw away & go local immigration and extend visa Simple fast After 2cnd extension apply 6 months or 1 year at time inclusive of Tourist ID Card no need carry passport for money pick-up pawns shop cash converters ! rather than use ATM fees are high for foreign withdrawals 10K peso limit per transaction can do multiple but cost you per withdrawal 250 peso, cash converter/ pawnshop lot easier transfer to your self use your Philippines tourist ID card pick up cash lm retired so do monthly . or fortnightly whatever Easier .

• Like 1

Here we go again. Sick visa policy instead of easing up regulations to allow more tourists into this 3.world county. When will they ever do something right?? As if they try hard to further damage their county... I bought my flight a month ago relying on 45 days. I arrived on 2. April to only get 30 days. No prior notice, no reliability and zero accountability for those morons who decide! Thailand is back. Not the tourists, streets are still dead... but back with new troubles caused on a daily basis... Btw, walking thru Pattaya, there are some Koreans and Indians, but almost no Europeans, so in that case they urgently needed to do something against wellpaying Europeans. Understand this? I do, it is perfectly inline with all political decisions of a xenophobic and racist country that hates all foreigners...but want to be feeded by them.

Edited by pp00
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Not many people in regular employment get 30 days holiday never mind 45 days not unless they have ‘banked’ their holidays or taking unpaid leave. Are the government are trying to get people on a visa rather than stamp them in, monetary issue ?

Just now, Jumbo1968 said:

Not many people in regular employment get 30 days holiday never mind 45 days not unless they have ‘banked’ their holidays or taking unpaid leave. Are the government are trying to get people on a visa rather than stamp them in, monetary issue ?

Monetary issue of course. The money filled desk drawers in the immigration offices are dry, give people trouble to make them pay... that is the Thai policy towards foreigners.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, pp00 said:

Here we go again. Sick visa policy instead of easing up regulations to allow more tourists into this 3.world county. When will they ever do something right?? As if they try hard to further damage their county... I bought my flight a month ago relying on 45 days. I arrived on 2. April to only get 30 days. No prior notice, no reliability and zero accountability for those morons who decide! Thailand is back. Not the tourists, streets are still dead... but back with new troubles caused on a daily basis... Btw, walking thru Pattaya, there are some Koreans and Indians, but almost no Europeans, so in that case they urgently needed to do something against wellpaying Europeans. Understand this? I do, it is perfectly inline with all political decisions of a xenophobic and racist country that hates all foreigners...but want to be feeded by them.

You booked a flight knowing the 30 days was going to end on the 31st of March, t was never mentioned it was going to be extended was it ? it’s low season for Europeans now plus the high air fares isn’t exactly encouraging Europeans to come.

• Like 1