Jomtien Immigration Renamed "The Gates Of Hell"

16 minutes ago, quake said:

I would say that the above is the reason you can do your extension in Sriracha.

I don't think they would entertain 20 people rocking up at there office, from pattaya.

Sriracha immigration office and Pattaya immigration office have geographical area (borders) 

If you live in Pattaya you cannot use Sriracha immigration office.

31 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

I think it must all be part of some reality TV show that is only broadcast to Thais, with a title along the lines of "See how easy it is to wind up the Falang".

I think this because:

1.) As a western foreigner living in Thailand legally on a long term basis you typically MUST interact with them in one way or another at least 5 times per year.

2.) In addition to those 5 occasions, any time you need to gain / renew a license, buy or sell a motorbike, car, house etc, you must interact again.

3.) Catch 22 is king. Try to get a visa and you are told you must have a bank account. Try and get a bank account and you must have a visa.

4.) It is possible to queue for 3 hours, finally reach a gatekeeper and be told they are closed, come back tomorrow and expect people not to be aggranoyed.

5.) It is possible to ask a single, well worded, apt question and be instantly shouted at.

6.) Hearsay and foreign forums (such as this) are a better place to learn specific document requirements than their own actual publications, which either don't exist or are woefully under-worded (eg the map, the family photos etc).

7.) They will occasionally hire a "fixer" to confuse everyone even more. eg in January there was a tiny Thai man that would pop out of the exit and shout in heavily accented English "Not Waiting Visa" over and over. Most people who went up to him and asked a question were met with a more direct "Not Waiting Visa" shouted at them. When it would be ludicrously clear to anyone that what he was shouting was confusing anyone, the response was so huff, puff and shout the same thing again.

8.) No sane person would try and reduce the length of queues by requiring an individual to queue multiple times instead of once.

There are some fine folk working inside the office who somehow offer an amazing service. The lady (and now some of her newer colleagues) on desk 6 is a great example.

If a service that you are forced to use is only made bearable by paying a significant premium (often at least 500% the real cost) to a 3rd party then there are some fundamental issues that need fixing. Or, it's a TV reality show.

555 spot on. Great post. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Sriracha immigration office and Pattaya immigration office have geographical area (borders) 

If you live in Pattaya you cannot use Sriracha immigration office.

I agree.

But another poster tells a different story.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/6/2023 at 7:43 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

A certificate of residence used to be a simple 15 minute walk-in process. I don't know if this deluge of foreigners requiring service from this office is a temporary issue or if this is just the way it will be from now on.

I use Sri Ratcha, same province, and there hasn't been any walk-in process since the pandemic. You get your queue number and wait outside, can only go in when called and then out again, passports and anything else are dished up outside. If you are doing 90 day it's a different room and even queue numbers are outside.

They seem to prefer it that way so little incentive to go back to the way things were.

On 4/6/2023 at 1:35 PM, Mickeymaus said:

As far as I can remember - before they were in Central Pattaya. But then they got a very good offer for the land and so they moved to Jomtien.

Yes, it was behind sailor bar in soi 8, moved about 20 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, homeseeker said:

Interesting. 

So what is being said, if living in Pattaya can avoid using Chonburi office at all and do annual extension at sriricha  ?

Can I know do others living in Pattaya use sriricha, and what is your experiences?

Very unlikely, I know someone who should use Sri Ratcha but went to Jomtien and was sent to Sri Ratcha.

Of course someone will say different as the only consistent is inconsistency.

BTW, Sri Ratcha is also a Chonburi office, as is Koh Sichang.

4 hours ago, Woof999 said:

I think it must all be part of some reality TV show that is only broadcast to Thais, with a title along the lines of "See how easy it is to wind up the Falang".

I think this because:

1.) As a western foreigner living in Thailand legally on a long term basis you typically MUST interact with them in one way or another at least 5 times per year.

2.) In addition to those 5 occasions, any time you need to gain / renew a license, buy or sell a motorbike, car, house etc, you must interact again.

3.) Catch 22 is king. Try to get a visa and you are told you must have a bank account. Try and get a bank account and you must have a visa.

4.) It is possible to queue for 3 hours, finally reach a gatekeeper and be told they are closed, come back tomorrow and expect people not to be aggranoyed.

5.) It is possible to ask a single, well worded, apt question and be instantly shouted at.

6.) Hearsay and foreign forums (such as this) are a better place to learn specific document requirements than their own actual publications, which either don't exist or are woefully under-worded (eg the map, the family photos etc).

7.) They will occasionally hire a "fixer" to confuse everyone even more. eg in January there was a tiny Thai man that would pop out of the exit and shout in heavily accented English "Not Waiting Visa" over and over. Most people who went up to him and asked a question were met with a more direct "Not Waiting Visa" shouted at them. When it would be ludicrously clear to anyone that what he was shouting was confusing anyone, the response was so huff, puff and shout the same thing again.

8.) No sane person would try and reduce the length of queues by requiring an individual to queue multiple times instead of once.

There are some fine folk working inside the office who somehow offer an amazing service. The lady (and now some of her newer colleagues) on desk 6 is a great example.

If a service that you are forced to use is only made bearable by paying a significant premium (often at least 500% the real cost) to a 3rd party then there are some fundamental issues that need fixing. Or, it's a TV reality show.

Aggranoyed.

You just made my day.????????

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2023 at 2:53 PM, giddyup said:

Obtaining a visa extension by the legitimate means, ie having the 800K in the bank and meeting the required criteria doesn't make you a Cheap Charlie. I've been doing it that way for 14 years and will continue to do so.

Please engage brain before opening mouth, and actually read what was written. Why do you have a bug up your ตูด about 800K when nobody has mentioned it and it's irrelevant? People such as myself are simply paying an agent because we can afford it to avoid the hassle of actually going to the Jomtien Office.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I can only imagine with all the Russian and Chinese “refugees” at that office. Used an agent once for my extension there and that was the last I ever dealt with that office. Back to Non-O ME visas so that I don’t have to meet with the serpents. Dealing with these offices just gets worse as each year passes. Thought about Elite Visa but it doesn’t get you off of TM30 and 90 day reports so just a big BS ripoff.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, khunjake said:

Thought about Elite Visa but it doesn’t get you off of TM30 and 90 day reports so just a big BS ripoff.

If living in Thailand why would tm30 be an issue.

Basically not required unless you change address. 

90 day reports take one minute on your phone.

13 hours ago, Guderian said:

Please engage brain before opening mouth, and actually read what was written. Why do you have a bug up your ตูด about 800K when nobody has mentioned it and it's irrelevant? People such as myself are simply paying an agent because we can afford it to avoid the hassle of actually going to the Jomtien Office.

And some people are paying an agent because they don't have the 800K, something you seem to overlook, and you did suggest that those who don't use an agent are "the cheapest of Cheap Charlies". I suggest you read your own post.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/6/2023 at 4:11 PM, Neeranam said:

I suspect the Immigration officers get tired of dealing with sexpats, who have no intention of integrating into Thai society, ignoring things like 'greng jai' and 'boon koon', or not even knowing what they mean. Lack of obeisance to civil servants, having a prostitute in tow, etc. To be fair, most immigration in other countries would feel the same disdain at foreigners like that. 

Quite a bigoted post?

"Lack of obeisance to civil servants, "

You should realize that respect is not given, it is earned!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I guess you don't live in Thailand if you think you don't need to show obeisance to civil servants. 

Ever heard of 'when in Rome...'?

How would you feel if foreigners came to the UK and started telling you what to do?

I do live in Thailand, in Jomtien and i can affirm that the Immigration Office as per the OPs post has 'gone o hell' recently, it was OK pre Covid!

Some of the officers are very good in that office, but also some are very bad, in their attitude?

Personally I believe that it always pays to be polite to whoever I am talking to, in general it pays off, especially to Thai police and immigration officers.

Now by showing obeisance, are you referring to greeting them with a wai, that's fine,but not just civil servants,   and i agree people should try and adapt to Thai greetings, but many are ignorant of that fact? Tourists coming to Thailand for two weeks may not have 'read up' on the subject.

But I state again 'respect' is earned, meaning if some one is respectful to me then I will return it.

If someone is shouting at you/me, that's not respect.

"How would you feel if foreigners came to the UK and started telling you what to do?"

I don't live in the UK but I do keep up on current affairs/events.

Seems to me the UK 'is full' of foreigners telling people what to do?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

I will probably get some laughs and ridicule from this, post - but, here we go: 

I filed a complaint with https://complaint-center.tourismthailand.org/en

In short, I stated that 3-4 hour queues (in the sun), children waiting for their parents, old people confused of the instructions and almost fainting - for a 30d tourist extension is not worthy of any nation. I also added that Immigration had dozens of "agents" at the premise offering shortcut of service for a fee. I rhetorically asked if this was a public service. 

Also, I sent the same message to my local embassy. 

Yes, I know - nothing will happen. But, I also have this philosophy if I don't complain myself nobody else will. I encourage you all to make yourself heard. Takes a couple of minutes. 

Seems a good idea? i agree with your sentiment!

Depending what embassy you sent it to, UK, USA , French etc you may get a nondescript answer saying they can't interfere with local immigration, they are not responsible,  etc?

Any answer you get from TAT will also probably be a 'whitewash' as nobody in Thailand, certainly in the Government will accept any accountability for 'anything'

They will probably say there are too many foreigners?????

On 4/6/2023 at 9:18 AM, Mickeymaus said:

When I went there for my retirement extension recently I suffered a lot too waiting outside in the heat. There were some useless fans. Only if you stood directly in front of them they helped. But this wasn't possible because you had to queue. Dressed in my warm immigration outfit an unbearable situation.

But also some expats. My application took not even 2 minutes. But there are people that still didn't get the message that you have to copy all the pages with entries of the passport. People that didn't sign all documents at home already. That had missing documents. That... 

Regarding people saying that the bank documents need to be from the same day - I always do this a day before and never had a problem. And please copy all entries since the last application of your bank book and also the first page with your name.

Sadly I have to go there in 3 months again to show them that I kept the 800 k balance that long. They could check this at the next application. 

I arrived back 8 March and went to Jomtien Immigration 9 March to do TM30. Was pleasantly surprised they had a TM30 Tent in carpark and it took 5 minutes with no need to get into the snake queue for inside the building. They also had 90 day report and retirement/marriage visa seperate so queue seemed to only be for visa extension.

Go back yesterday to get 30 day extension and the right side of the car park tents are all gone and everyone needs to get in the queue outside except 90 day reports which are now to the left of entry (why wouldn't people just do that online anyway).

So what seemed to be a good work around for the numerous extensions being applied was gone within 4 weeks. I had to line up for 1 hour outside, 20 minutes inside for 2 minutes with IO to give paperwork and pay. Then 1 hour outside again waiting for passport stamp (all of this used to 15-20 minutes total). 

I arrived back at condo looking like I had heat exhaustion so I don't know how older people do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I arrived back 8 March and went to Jomtien Immigration 9 March to do TM30. Was pleasantly surprised they had a TM30 Tent in carpark and it took 5 minutes with no need to get into the snake queue for inside the building. They also had 90 day report and retirement/marriage visa seperate so queue seemed to only be for visa extension.

Go back yesterday to get 30 day extension and the right side of the car park tents are all gone and everyone needs to get in the queue outside except 90 day reports which are now to the left of entry (why wouldn't people just do that online anyway).

So what seemed to be a good work around for the numerous extensions being applied was gone within 4 weeks. I had to line up for 1 hour outside, 20 minutes inside for 2 minutes with IO to give paperwork and pay. Then 1 hour outside again waiting for passport stamp (all of this used to 15-20 minutes total). 

I arrived back at condo looking like I had heat exhaustion so I don't know how older people do it.

Yes, they change things for no apparent reason?

The 90 reports online work , but I understand if its the first one after say leaving Thailand and re entering, you need to do it in person? But the 90 day reports are generally pretty fast!

6 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

The 90 reports online work , but I understand if its the first one after say leaving Thailand and re entering, you need to do it in person?

Think have read reports of no problem.

Obviously when you hit autofill you need to change the entry date.