ThaiHealth runs “Don’t Drink and Drive; Tipsy Kills” Songkran road accidents reduction campaign

webfact

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

Furthermore, the driver’s license of the repeat offender will either be suspended for at least 1 year or revoked.

Is this licence suspension enforced while the perpetrator is doing his 2 years porridge?

• Haha 1

There used to be a slogan, "Don't Drive Drunk", which played a bit with semantics in that it didn't ask people to NOT drink but rather not to drive if drunk (plastered, I suspect). Now they seem a little more serious about the language but probably not so much about the arrests.

Effectively the regurgitation of the same ineffective message ( with the same results) that will be largely ignored as traditionally. Just accept that there’s a Faustian pact between the Government and the population stating that Thais want to carry on with their dangerous practices on the road and that the elite don’t really care that they want to slaughter and maim each other… oh,and it’ll be the same next year with the usual accompanying hand wringing .

Statistics indicate that as many as 51% of people killed in road accidents during Songkran festivals are heads of households.

So the other 49% are sons, daughters, wives, close friends, etc. In other words the people you care about and would defend if being attacked in the street, but it's okay to drive them home when you're drunk and incapable.

• Like 1

I don't drink when I drive and I don't drive when I drink!
As long as every policeman I meet invites me to drink and says that I can drink because there are no checkpoints and if I am stopped, he can protect me from a fine, nothing will change in Thailand.

Here we go again; the 2nd lot of Seven Dangerous Days when normally invisible police take to the roadside en masse to play with their phones whilst collecting overtime payments with no discernible effect on the daily road kill.

7 hours ago, stoner said:

sorry you are wrong here. back home we have MADD and its effectiveness is well documented. 

education is key. 

Educate them in prison ,I say , I don't know where back home is , but what does not

work there ,should be given a chance here,   at least when they are locked up they

cannot get wasted ,jump in a vehicle and create carnage...

regards worgeordie