Woman driver’s reckless reversal on motorway leads to horrific crash with lorry

webfact

4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Take her driving leicence (if she has one) off her and make her sit a re-test as she obviously has no idea what can & cannot be classed as safe driving.

You mean sit a re-test like the first one which taught her nothing?

4 hours ago, marin said:

I got a new drivers license last week. As part of that you have 4 "physical" tests you must pass. Color blindness, Depth perception, Speed of breaking, and Peripheral vision. Half of the Thai applicants failed one of these with the majority not being able to recognize a red light and brake in time. It was truly shocking to see the same people picking up their new license an hour later.  

It's about revenue... not driving ability.

The result of which we see on the roads every day.

Nowhere else in the world have I seen people consistency take the kinds of chances and risks in the road, that they take here, with their families in the car. Nowhere. When they could have waited four seconds to make the uturn or turn onto the highway, and have a completely clear path, they instead choose to take a tremendous risk. It is beyond comprehension. I see it all the time. My eyes do not lie to me. This rarely ever happens to me in the US.

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, prevention, enforcement of the law, or concern toward the prosecution of very reckless drivers. 

Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. There are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and it is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, of semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do. Also, I had the benefit of my lovely Mom, as my instructor. She spent countless hours in the car with me giving me tips, advice, and teaching me driving etiquette, courtesy and respect toward other drivers. That was priceless, and I doubt many Thai kids benefit from that kind of guidance. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Driving in Thailand can occasionally be frightening, frustrating, and comical.

It's like a video sometimes.  On long road trips from Sakon Nakhon to Bangkok I feel completely worn out, mentally and physically. 

To this I have to agree 100%. The constant high visual horizon one myst use on the roads here does take its toll on my mental acuity by the time we arri e home from a trip.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

It's like a video sometimes.  On long road trips from Sakon Nakhon to Bangkok I feel completely worn out, mentally and physically. 

So true, after a long drive in Thailand I will get out of my car and realize that I am just shaking in fear. Driving in Thailand is a horrible experience.

• Thumbs Up 2

The issue was not her stupidity or the fact she was reversing against the traffic.  The real problem was, like most Thai drivers she could not reverse in a straight line.  So instead of reversing back on the side of the road she would of been taking up most of the inside traffic lane as well as shown in the picture.

As I have posted many times before here, I wonder if monkeys were trained to drive all vehicles on Thai roads whether the death toll would decrease or increase.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, volsfan said:

Driving in Thailand often feels like being stoned inside a game of Angry Birds!

Motorbikes coming at you from all directions with no thought of stopping and looking first. 

Terrifying sometimes.

If you think Thailand is bad, you've never been to Hanoi or Saigon!

It's an order of magnitude worse.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

No awareness of or concern for consequence can be a lovely facet of Thai society

They have the mentality of children in so many ways. They only live in the moment. It really is quite extraordinary how they never mature mentally. Not all, of course, before the flamers dive to their keyboard.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Nowhere else in the world have I seen people consistency take the kinds of chances and risks in the road, that they take here, with their families in the car. Nowhere. When they could have waited four seconds to make the uturn or turn onto the highway, and have a completely clear path, they instead choose to take a tremendous risk. It is beyond comprehension. I see it all the time. My eyes do not lie to me. This rarely ever happens to me in the US.

I see this countless times. Completely empty road behind us, but they pull out and make us slow or take evasive action. It is utterly impossible to understand the mentality of these people. It's like living with an alien race. The only explanation is that act as if they are the only vehicle on the road, something we've all seen hundreds of times. They have no awareness of others at all. Same as when they're walking, actually.

8 hours ago, marin said:

I got a new drivers license last week. As part of that you have 4 "physical" tests you must pass. Color blindness, Depth perception, Speed of breaking, and Peripheral vision. Half of the Thai applicants failed one of these with the majority not being able to recognize a red light and brake in time. It was truly shocking to see the same people picking up their new license an hour later.  

And believe me, if they failed and they know somebody who have a relationship with somebody at the driver's license office, they still get a driver's license.

12 hours ago, connda said:

A couple of months ago I encounter and car on Highway 11 driving down the wrong way in the left lane (passing lane) driving against traffic.  I've have sent the cops my dashcam video but they'd do nothing.  Government apathy in enforcement is a prime reason for all these idiotic drivers who should not be driving at all. For doing what that driver did, they should forfeit that vehicles and their licenses, put on probation and thrown into jail if caught driving again.
Instead?  Nothing.  The state pays lip service but could really give a ****.

You forgot where you are.
Thailand is a "Mai Pen Rai" society where dying is no big deal as the Lord Buddha said that we come back in a next life.
So what?
Drive as there is not tomorrow ....

14 hours ago, stoner said:

another clear example of the total lack of critical thinking by thai in regards to driving. 

the entitlement is disgusting in these people. 

Good luck that non-Thais would never ever do such things - or maybe not?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Take her driving leicence (if she has one) off her and make her sit a re-test as she obviously has no idea what can & cannot be classed as safe driving.

Take away her license and put her in jail for endangering the life of many other people. 

14 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

What was wrong with her? Why was she going in reverse? Why not just be like many others, turn the vehicle around and drive in the wrong direction?

...and I thought with this new point system that driving in the wrong direction would be points deducted as well as a 2k THB fine......?  But I see many doing this every day that I drive.

Agreed.

Just turn around, open the hazard lights and drive.

Simples.????

16 hours ago, webfact said:

reckless woman driver who reversed over 1 kilometre down a busy motorway in Samut Prakarn

Oh dear, it was a nice car.

Stupid woman.

It's Russian roulette doing this on the road, so many drivers on their phones, not paying attention etc.

The accident was bound to happen.

IMG_20230408_040309.jpg

Edited by Cricky
  • Confused 1

Nothing to see here!

It's all part of the daily circus of driving on the Thai road system.

As the previous OP basically stated, "You can't fix Stupid" 

And there is an abundance of it with Thai drivers.

17 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

The constant stress while driving here is very mentally challenging so much so I have come out in a stress related rash before now. Also it is not just the driving of others, the road layouts, signs, unable to see traffic lights 6 mtrs in the air, when high sided vehicles are in front, and/or your watching the road ahead not looking for low flying aircraft.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Screaming said:
19 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Expand  

So true, after a long drive in Thailand I will get out of my car and realize that I am just shaking in fear. Driving in Thailand is a horrible experience.

From your comments it appears that you two shouldn't be driving, either, if you're of such  weak constitutions!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

From your comments it appears that you two shouldn't be driving, either, if you're of such  weak constitutions!

Coming from someone who hasn't set foot in Thailand let alone drive here.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Haha 1

On 4/7/2023 at 12:21 PM, Ralf001 said:

Seen a few foreigners fail the test as well........ and still collect their new licence.

No wonder given the tests.

When approaching an unmarked intersection you should:
1.  Respect your parents.
2. End your phone call.
3. Bow to the cars on the left and right and hit the accelerator.
4. Yield to traffic on the left.

Correct answer: 3

Yes this is parody, but it is fitting and based on things I've seen while living here.