Binance P2P scam in Thailand

VovkaVLD

Hello everyone!

I met with fraud in Thailand. On March 17, I decided to sell 500 USDT on Binance (which I bought last year) for 17,500 baht to my card in Bangkok Bank. The deal was with a Thai woman named <Name edited out> . I got the money, she got the cryptocurrency - everyone is happy. But on Sunday, April 2, I saw that 17,500 baht had disappeared from my bank account. On Monday, I went to the bank, where I was told that this woman had written a statement to the Khelangnakorn Police Station that I had deceived her, which in fact did not happen. 

I found the phone number of this police station, called, but they absolutely do not speak English there. I live in Pattaya and the distance to the police station is 750 km.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? How can this problem be solved? We had a fair deal, I didn't cheat anyone!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

The opening post has been edited to remove a person's name due to the following forum rule:

7. You will not post defamatory or libelous comments. Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person or business to suffer harm or loss. A statement does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either as a drawing, picture, painting, motion picture, film, or letters made visible by any means or by broadcasting, dissemination or propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand and elsewhere in ASEAN.

Moving to the Cryptocurrency forum. 

32 minutes ago, VovkaVLD said:

How can this problem be solved? We had a fair deal, I didn't cheat anyone!

I wonder if they issued an arrest warrant? That would seem to be the next logical step if someone makes a police complaint against you that results in a bank being convinced to remove money from your account.

I suggest you gather all the proof you have of the transaction completing and keep it handy just in case they come knocking.

Might be a good idea to put in a complaint against the woman involved as well, you're going to need a Thai speaker for that of course.

I would never deal direct with anyone here for the exact reasons you're experiencing.

Good luck, you're gonna need it.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

I'm afraid your money is lost. First of all it is impossible to resolve this without visiting the exact police station in person (a printed screenshots of the P2P deal might be handy). But then most likely the police officers will direct you to the cyber police division in Bangkok, and then most likely the cyber police will not bother because Binance is not located in Thailand jurisdiction. 

At least report this situation to Binance to make her account blocked.

i was chatting to girl online the other day, i could see she was moving towards some currency crypto scam, probably many men fall for it as she was quite pretty, video call and everything, from thaifriendly 

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

Luckily it wasn't for a greater amount.   For P2P.... I have always used the same 'safety valve' line of thinking that I use when using a debit/credit card while travelling.   If I don't feel comfortable risking the bulk of my funds in Katmandu or Harbin, I certainly won't be taking the same risk with some stranger in a P2P Binance transaction either.    

Use accounts or cards that are a *dead end* for scammers.  Have your P2P transaction partners pay into savings accounts (presumably) here that have x00 or x0000 Baht (whatever amount you feel is virtually nothing)... and then only use that account as a safety valve.   Funds received.... transfer them to whatever other accounts you use that have no cards attached.   If you want to take it another level, then safety valve from there to wherever you keep your funds offshore.  

• Thanks 1

Omg, is it really that easy to reverse a bank transfer? I can't believe that. From what I heard, the police can freeze a bank account if the owner is suspected of a crime/scam. But actually taking money from that account is another matter and requires a lot more effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

If this story is true my guess is the police are in on the scam , or maybe "an official" at the bank.  It's not possible to just withdraw money out of a bank account if you are not the owner.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 2:05 PM, Hope12 said:

May I asked if this case was solved because I also encountering this problem. I think the buyer of USDT in Binance have a cybercrime division friend and freeze my account.

Oops wouldn't want to be you... going by what the russian is looking at in the news today.

• 4 weeks later...

OP. Why not go to a police station in Pattaya, explain the situation and ask if they can help or advise? I'm sure there will be more English speaking officers there.

Maybe they could even call the police station where the report was made.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2023 at 11:33 AM, Heng said:

Luckily it wasn't for a greater amount.   For P2P.... I have always used the same 'safety valve' line of thinking that I use when using a debit/credit card while travelling.   If I don't feel comfortable risking the bulk of my funds in Katmandu or Harbin, I certainly won't be taking the same risk with some stranger in a P2P Binance transaction either.    

Use accounts or cards that are a *dead end* for scammers.  Have your P2P transaction partners pay into savings accounts (presumably) here that have x00 or x0000 Baht (whatever amount you feel is virtually nothing)... and then only use that account as a safety valve.   Funds received.... transfer them to whatever other accounts you use that have no cards attached.   If you want to take it another level, then safety valve from there to wherever you keep your funds offshore.  

Harbin or Katmandu, 2 of the coldest places on Earth! 

When I use Binance P2P I always do a test run first with a small amount, then immediately transfer to another bank account. You can do this before clicking on funds received. 

• Like 1