Would the next government be kinder to migrants and refugees?

webfact

image.png

People fleeing fighting between the Myanmar military and ethnic rebel groups shelter on the Thai side of the Moei river, in Mae Sot district in Tak province on April 7, 2023.(Photo by AFP)

Political parties campaigning for the May 2023 general election should spell out their policies on migrants and refugees because of its significance for Thailand’s stature on the international stage, according to many experts who were speaking at a forum in Bangkok.

Most of the representatives of the parties at the forum hosted by Migrant Working Group on Thursday (April 6) swore by the principle of human rights, pledging that if they were a part of the next government, they would assure good treatment of migrants and refugees who had fled from difficulties in their home country.

Large numbers

More than three million migrant workers, mostly from neighboring countries Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar, live and work in Thailand. As of March 2023, 2.7 million of them are registered as legal workers in various sectors across the country, according to the Department of Employment. Experts estimated 1.5 million to 2 million unregistered workers from these countries.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/would-the-next-government-be-kinder-to-migrants-and-refugees/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Political parties campaigning for the May 2023 general election should spell out their policies on migrants and refugees because of its significance for Thailand’s stature on the international stage, according to many experts who were speaking at a forum in Bangkok.

Slave labour, the way most of them were treated during the covid closure under the present regime was appalling.

Locked up into factories, camps and enclosures some with barbed wire like an internment camp.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Most of the representatives of the parties at the forum hosted by Migrant Working Group on Thursday (April 6) swore by the principle of human rights,

no need to swear! the principles of human rights are so vague that you can pretend to apply them, even when you don't. the proof? no government has ever admitted that it doesn't apply this famous principle

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, HuskerDo2 said:

A better question would be... would the next government be kinder to retirees and tourists and not make them jump thru so many hoops to live/visit Thailand where they are contributing to the economy unlike the migrants and refugees.

WHAT!!!!!!

Thailand would be worse off without those workers from Burma doing jobs Thais don't want to do.

Contrary to urban myth, IMO elderly farangs don't contribute much to the Thai economy, though I agree the immigration could be a lot friendlier to them than at present.

They used to be to NZ citizens waaaaay back, till NZ government made it harder for Thais to visit NZ, and they retaliated by removing the right to 90 day visa exempt visits for NZ citizens.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

A better question would be... would the next government be kinder to retirees and tourists and not make them jump thru so many hoops to live/visit Thailand where they are contributing to the economy unlike the migrants and refugees.

Thai government in very generous to the destitute foreigners rejected by women of their own kind in finding a bride and live on "wify visa" and start a new life for the rejects. As far tourists seeking sex orgy that they could not afford in their native lands because Arabs are paying more money, Thailand is a heaven. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

In Thailand it is seems the military is not part of the government but rather the government is part of the military and its "elitist backers" when it comes to certain foreign policies. At times the military seems to operate within its own sovereignty outside of the Constitution. What any political party might promise to be kinder is really irrelevant. 

I suspect that such suggestions regarding any new and refurbished and their take on these age old policies is little but a marketing ploy by particular sources. Nothing less than a gimmick.

Thailand's approach to migrants and refugees has been similar, without budging, for quite some time. 

I certainly wouldn't expect any incoming government to be allowed for such change.

3 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

True, as there are probably many more retirees and tourists reading posts on this forum than migrants and refugees...

Such news items may be interesting, but they aren't really relevant to the reader here, as neither migrant workers, nor retirees are permitted to partake in any elections or public offices.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

3 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

A better question would be... would the next government be kinder to retirees and tourists and not make them jump thru so many hoops to live/visit Thailand where they contribute to the economy unlike the migrants and refugees.

You know I find this

POOR ME i AM A TOURIST, AND I AM SOOO HARD DONE BY.

As to the topic of the post, there is not a whole lot that Thailand can do.  Yes, you want to be nice to refugees but if your think opening the doors works just look at San Francisco.  

The country has to pay for the refugees and look after them.  In order to do that they would have to find the extra money which would mean taxing Thais or cutting their benefits.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The next government  should be much kinder to immigrants  because   immigrants are the people who do the jobs Thai's  dont want, /too lazy, to do... and from my experience they  work a lot harder too

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, actonion said:

The next government  should be much kinder to immigrants  because   immigrants are the people who do the jobs Thai's  dont want, /too lazy, to do... and from my experience they  work a lot harder too

Those immigrants are mostly on work visa. The challenge is the people that are coming over the border to escape the government in their country. 

Look at the U.S. and it's open border and the amount it is costing taxpayers.

Look at the U.K. and the number of immigrants that try to get into the country and are successful.

As to workers, I actually think that if you stopped the immigrants from coming in and working cheaply that a lot of Thais would be forced to get jobs, and Businesses might be forced to pay higher wages.

• Like 1

Would next Government roll back all red tape bring back unlimited multiple entry's visa + how much your country  pension  is ! rid bs 800k in corrupt Thai banking system stop farang racism how I long for the 70 mid 2000 again when Thais smiled & in the main we all got along okay until devisive Millatary Jaunta gained power turned on Thai people & foreigners alike ruining the country almost into bankruptcy then covid came along thanks to EHA Fauchi funded should be in prison for crimes against humanity along with Daszak & Co there man made biological weapon virus out of Wu -Han lab Gates Soros +++ Phamacutical scams ???????? funding likes of CCP Criminal Organisation . What more could go wrong, is  Jaunta remaining in power ? Bring back Freedom  & Thaksin with all his faults Thais had better life under there own elected government by thai people ????Thais are fed up with Coup d'etat just want freedom no more coups separate military from Thai Government forever 

Edited by Mad mick
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

You know I find this

POOR ME i AM A TOURIST, AND I AM SOOO HARD DONE BY.

As to the topic of the post, there is not a whole lot that Thailand can do.  Yes, you want to be nice to refugees but if your think opening the doors works just look at San Francisco.  

The country has to pay for the refugees and look after them.  In order to do that they would have to find the extra money which would mean taxing Thais or cutting their benefits.

WOW! Sounds like you have issues with tourists. Too bad as that's the group Thailand tries to cater to so they can keep the country running.

As far as San Fran... that's the sewer of the US these days. My friends in California are either hating it or moving elsewhere.

2 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

WOW! Sounds like you have issues with tourists. Too bad as that's the group Thailand tries to cater to so they can keep the country running.

As far as San Fran... that's the sewer of the US these days. My friends in California are either hating it or moving elsewhere.

Huskie you missed my sarcasm.  The article was about refugees but there were others ahead of me that wanted to change it to poor me the tourist. 

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Huskie you missed my sarcasm.  The article was about refugees but there were others ahead of me that wanted to change it to poor me the tourist. 

Perhaps, subliminally reflective of what many foreign residents consider themselves to be - migrants, refugees and non-entities. Only slightly [if that] engaged in the societal ideals of acclimation and adjustment. They consider themselves strangers, so naturally they're looked upon as strangers. Nothing matters of the extended social/familial environs - it's all about themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1