Motorcycle trailer or truck?

steevjee

I am wanting to buy a Honda ADV 160 bike and I'm therefore looking at options to move it as I travel around Thailand.

I currently have a Honda Jazz and it's perfect for our travel purposes and I have seen a lightweight single bike trailer made in CM that only weighs 165kg,  so with the bikes 135kg it's a combined tow weight of 300kg which I believe the Jazz will handle with no problems, but not entirely sure?

Just wanting to get feedback from anyone who has towed a bike trailer around Thailand, is it practical and also is it relatively safe?

My other option is to upgrade to a used Ford Ranger Extra Cab truck which has a tray long enough to carry the bike, but this has drawbacks in that it's a larger vehicle that will cost more to upgrade to and also cost more to run, plus I'm not sure on how difficult it may be to load and unload the bike using a lightweight ramp.

All experienced opinions are welcome

Thanks

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Everywhere I have ever been in Thailand a motorbike can be found to rent. 

+1

Used to rent on visits to Hua Hin & Phuket, due to ease of getting thru traffic & parking, or lack of, especially.  Few 100 baht well worth the stress free riding.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

The reasons being the roads are shocking, and Thais have little to no awareness of any object following a vehicle like a trailer and thus the risks of turning or crossing behind your towing vehicle and colliding with your trailer are entirely possible.

I've read all replies and I thought this one makes a lot of sense. I have been driving in Thailand for a long time. Nowadays almost all roads that I regularly drive on are upgraded or in the process of being upgraded to mega concrete (think of Germanys Autobahns) structures. So depending on where you are going, the roads for the most part will be very good (highways). But this poses a problem as Trapposurfer points out, trailers are very rare on Thai highways, And because there are suddenly four or more lanes in each directions of the new highways, Thai drivers go completely nuts and swerves all over the place from lane to lane, using no turn indicators, Often they will get caught behind a truck in some left inner lane and when you pass them on the right lane they swerve up to pass you on the lane right of you, not understanding you are towing a trailer and....

I myself drive a Ford Ranger and the best car I ever had. Situation awareness is super good because the elevated driver position and parking is much easier than a sedan. You have full awareness of every corner of your car.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Depending on how long you want to stay at different places you could hire a truck to move it for you. 
Fuel consumption Honda Jazz vs Pick Up truck will be a painful adjustment you can check on google for averages.

if available a small sized pick up might be ok for loading motorcycle being lower to the ground. Getting a motorcycle loaded/unloaded on ramp could be a challenge., probably would take two 

people a bit dangerous. I’ve rode up the ramp in my 20,30s but at that age body parts weren’t easily 

broken…  

You could probably ask a person to help load and unload. In my experience Thais are very helpful if 

needed and most the time they won’t even accept a tip.,..

Good luck to you … post some pics with you find a solution…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Towing can be problomatic if you are not experianced, your speed will be resticted, to stop the trailer from snakeing and eventually lose control of trailer and vehicle, causing overturn of one or both.

I guess you never had a trailer I used to build them where I live every second car tows a trailer or caravan there is hardly any accidents involving trailers or caravans.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Thanks heaps for all your input people, thinking I'm a bit off the idea of using a trailer, so now its down to either upgrade to a Ford Ranger with my own nice new bike or rentals?

I hear the Post office will also freight a bike from town to town, anyone have experience with this?

5 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I guess you never had a trailer I used to build them where I live every second car tows a trailer or caravan there is hardly any accidents involving trailers or caravans.

Where you live, in Thailand do you mean?

Cant say I have ever seen a caravan towed in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, deansy1972 said:

Hi 

you could look at getting a motor bike rack that slots into a tow bar. They rare used a lot in Australia and can be bought here I’m pretty sure. Really easy to load and unload yourself. If you can’t buy one would be easy to have one made.

E53715E5-343D-4E6E-8762-8D8D007BF396.jpeg

I have a pick up and used both options, tow bar and on the back, and prefer to load it up on the back with a light weight ramp. Load all my bikes up and down with ease up to 230kg, especially when two, but if alone, I place  my car lower where I just need to roll it almost straight on to the back of my pick up. 

The tow bar I only use when I carry two bikes.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, still kicking said:

Well you guess wrong. That is why I stated "If you don't have Expereance" I have seen many snaking trailers in OZ and the UK.