PC Rebuild - Advice or help, please.

crab

19 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The limiting factor for torrenting is the speed of the internet and not the computer.

That's not entirely correct. You might have the fastest Internet connection in the world but if there are no seeders to the torrent you are trying to dl then you will come up empty.

I used to torrent a lot. So much I still have my NAS loaded with 24TB of drive space. But I gave up torrenting for the most part as streaming seems to provide me with everything I need (regarding entertainment). I do occasionally torrent things such as OSs and applications. 

NOTE: Just like my appliances, I open my desktop PC a few times a year and blow out all the dust bunnies.  I find it will give them a longer life. It seems like the fan(s) go first then the power supply. All my years working with PCs I have mostly found the power supply to be the issue. Only once have I had a desktop HDD crash and once had a RAM stick go bad. Other than that many fans and quite a few power supplies.

1 minute ago, dingdongrb said:

That's not entirely correct. You might have the fastest Internet connection in the world but if there are no seeders to the torrent you are trying to dl then you will come up empty.

Still, nothing to do with the computer. Like internet, that's an external factor.

If the OP just wants a torrent server, any slow computer with large drives will be his best option cost wise.

1 minute ago, dingdongrb said:

I used to torrent a lot. So much I still have my NAS loaded with 24TB of drive space. But I gave up torrenting for the most part as streaming seems to provide me with everything I need (regarding entertainment). I do occasionally torrent things such as OSs and applications. 

NOTE: Just like my appliances, I open my desktop PC a few times a year and blow out all the dust bunnies.  I find it will give them a longer life. It seems like the fan(s) go first then the power supply. All my years working with PCs I have mostly found the power supply to be the issue. Only once have I had a desktop HDD crash and once had a RAM stick go bad. Other than that many fans and quite a few power supplies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The OP doesn't tell us the full specs of his current rig, but seems to be happy with MoBo, CPU and memory upgrade. He does not mention the size of his spinners, but seems to be happy as they are. Perhaps the have been upgraded over the years.

Looking at the pictures, I find the layout quite strange. There is, what appear to be a DVD drive at the bottom of the case, and the graphics card is in a slot furthers away from the CPU. Normally, the graphic card occupies the first slot closet to the CPU, as this is the fastest.

There is also a small card next to the graphics. Might be an external SATA, as the OP wanted that.

If the Op still follows this thread, perhaps he could clarify.

As the upgrade path, I would suggest an M sized MoBo. It's smaller than the standard ATX, and will make the case more roomy. The only disadvantage for the M size is that generally there are only 4 SATA ports, so additional SATA card might be needed. For the CPU, an Intel i5, even Gen12 processor, would probably do nicely. As the OP is not a gamer, he might not need a dedicated graphics card, and could probably use the built in graphics on the CPU chip. Of course, NVMe for the boot drive will make this rig fly. The PSU is large enough, and from a reputable manufacturer, and IMO don't need replacement.

I estimate the suggested upgrades would be around 16,000+ baht, and Jib could do an upgrade in 1 hour.

Personally, I would stay away from Lazada, Aliexpress and NUCs.

The pic is from my latest upgrade to my HTPC. It's what an M sized MoBo can do for a case.

2134581835_NewHTPC.thumb.jpg.7adba5b66df8099400f5cb8716edcf3b.jpg

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

That's a very old MB.

No idea about very old came out here end 2018, so 4 years old, much newer than the OP 12 year old MB..  myself will get the B550, as I see no need for the X570

some are set in there ways. me only Gigabyte, only WD Hdds.  AZZA case and so on

6 hours ago, ignis said:

Looks not a bad deal this week  if you want a ready made PC  ??

https://www.jib.co.th/web/product/readProduct/58622/2120/COMPUTER-SET-JIB-MARU-2304004

Not bad, but mATX m'board, lacks sufficient SATA ports, would need a card. Case has only 2 3.5" drive bays. Be interesting if OP could work out a deal for different case. PSU model doubtful, probably low end, doesn't appear on the tier list: https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/.

Edited by BigStar

20 hours ago, transam said:

If a carburettor had a problem, did you chuck it in the bin....?

I bet you are one who has a smartphone glued to his hand 24/7 and doesn't know why.....????

He was joking ???? He was actually suggesting that it’s not a bad thing to refurb when possible. Perhaps poorly delivered. 

On 4/12/2023 at 1:44 AM, BigStar said:

The OP didn't request a new PSU. Or a NUC or a Rasberry Pi or a new PC. 

Knee jerks, I don't do. Evidently he has no problems with it, unless of course that's the problem, lol. Quality brand, lots of headroom. He didn't say how old it is.

Quality PSUs often last longer than 12 years, as you'll read if you look, and many (knowledgeable) users don't change them until they die or don't meet new specs. Fortunately, they almost always die quietly.

Both the (quality) PSUs in my computers are about 15 years old, been through several upgrades with me, still good. They may last longer than I will. 

Cheap PSUs, such as you find in cheap builds, are a different matter. I'd switch any of those out in a minute.

I agree about the PSU if you get a good quality one they can stay good for a really long time. Many are modular now meaning you can add and take away cables. 

This PC I would not upgrade better to buy new with low specs. Would probably be better and with less of headache. 

Slow, very slow with Win 10.  Add 8 GB memory and maybe replace drive with ssd or just add as min.

for OP use case, 8th gen i7 or i5  with 16 GB and nvme OS drive + hdd drives as needed would be my suggestion.

Just now, KannikaP said:

Did I?

Yes. The original picture posted had all of the relevant info. The link that I posted was of exactly the same thing. You didn’t need my link to understand that they were old ex-business machines. I supplied the link because it looked like you were interested in purchasing one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

if in patts
once you know roughly what you want
you can just go to JIB in tukcom
buy the parts from them and they will build for you for free

it would be a good idea to post your budget
you really do not need a powerful machine for what you do
but i would advise getting a new motherboard that at least supports DDR5 RAM
and preferrably has at least 2 x M.2 SSD slots
this would purely be for longevity before next upgrade is needed

as for parts
the PSU could be worth keeping, even as backup
but personally if rest of system is new i would get new PSU
ALL of your parts can be stripped down, cleaned and sold online
some old parts even fetch a good price these days due to scarcity

Edited by patman30
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Strange that in my 'home-built- i5 PC 10 years ago, I have never had a fan or PSU go tits up, but rwo Western Digital 5400 HDDs and two Corsair SSDs have failed.

16 hours ago, BigStar said:

Not bad, but mATX m'board, lacks sufficient SATA ports, would need a card. Case has only 2 3.5" drive bays.

why would 4 SATA ports not be sufficient for the OP?

not saying that board/combo is ideal for the OP and his needs (although something like that seems it would be)
but most people generally need 2 sata ports if any these days as we move to M.2 SSDs
(This is coming from someone with a rig that has 50 SATA HDDs)
if OP needs such storage i expect a new single HDD (or 2 for raid) would cover all his storage needs
but 4TB M.2 are available, even 1TB might be enough for the OP
not many people need more than this TBH
not sure if the OP keeps his downloaded files
i have my media library on a single 14TB drive

Edited by patman30

27 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Mine tends to overheat and black screen. Right now I use it without the cover. Getting to and cleaning the fan is in the too difficult basket.

i mostly use open air cases (frames) these days

this is my main PC
although it does now have 6 x 6TB drives at the empty space at base
and 2 fans underneath them

rig.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

43 minutes ago, patman30 said:

why would 4 SATA ports not be sufficient for the OP?

4 < 5

On 4/11/2023 at 4:41 PM, crab said:

The box and several components are great, and it carries 5 internal hard drives.

The OP hasn't expressed interest in buying any new parts other than SSD, CPU, motherboard, and RAM. One thing we've always been good at around here is spending other people's money.

If he's indeed happy with his machine (we all have different standards of happiness--I do) he should take it to a shop and verify what the problem really is. Could be a cheap fix. Could even replace the m'board w/ another used one or a new Chinese board.

Couple of years ago a member wanted to upgrade his CPU. He was of course advised he couldn't upgrade it (he really was), computer's junk, buy a new one. In fact, he could upgrade it. I recommended he get a used, faster CPU at Aliexpress. So he did. I think he ended up with an FX-8320 or maybe a FX-6300 for B700-1000. Installed it and an SSD, worked great, he was happy.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

4 < 5

"built some 12 years ago"

surely it is time for a new HDD, especially if building a new system
for which a single HDD should easily cover the capacity of the 5 old drives
i doubt the OP has more than 40TB on those old drives

• Love It 1

42 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Mine tends to overheat and black screen. Right now I use it without the cover. Getting to and cleaning the fan is in the too difficult basket.

I had the computer repair shop opposite Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang clean my ASUS PN51 for 600 baht. They had to remove the MB to do it. I bitched about the price so the guy took me to his workbench and showed me the degree of difficulty. I've never had it overheat or black screen even when compiling apps and the fan runs faster. .

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Ooops sorry. So what DOES one do with 5 (or more) 3.5 inch HDD slots?

Run an S3 file server with min.io with large capacity spinning HDD drives with high redundancy.

Like this

https://www.westerndigital.com/th-th/products/internal-drives/data-center-drives/ultrastar-dc-hc550-hdd#0F38527

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1