If you witnessed a man beating a woman to a pulp in public, would you intervene?

bob smith

Did intervene once years ago... never again, slapped the bully then she started laying into me <deleted> & jeffing dont you hit my Man <deleted>? That was in UK, here in LOS if nowt to do with you do not get involved... in anything, I mean anything

To intervene with a drunk Thai is putting your well being (and your life) in grave danger. And not just for that moment. Thais are unreasonable even when sober. They are also vengeful and have LONG memories and the guys loathe us. Let's assume you had been successful kicking his ass and stopping him. You would then be faced with looking over your shoulder for your remaining days, months and years in Thailand. It's simply not worth it. 

• Like 1

DO you remember the video from Thailand in this blog, then TVF. Some years ago already.

A young Thai guy was bashing up his GF? with fist. Those were incredible recordings.

On a sunny bright day, with lots of Thai people around and they did ,,, nothing.

As said by some of you here, you stand up for the woman and then she turns against you!

I have seen it by a movie taken, guy and woman fighting. Someone intervened and then HE had problems with both! 

Nowadays they say, you should film it and talk about stopping, trying to ge the heat out, that's it. Yeah, ok if you are Conor McGregor you could act different, but would you like to stop Conor McGregor?

I'd do exactly what I would do as a passenger sitting in an emergency exit row during a plane crash. GTFO with zero sh__s given about the stewie's pre-take off instructions about my responsibility to assist fellow pax in the aircraft evac.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 9:44 PM, Andrew65 said:

Many years ago my sister fostered kids who came from situations where children had been sexually abused. One rule was that.no male was supposed to be alone with those kids at any time. That was as much for our protection as it was for theirs. 

It's perhaps illuminating that the only personally known example of child abuse was in hospital when I was working on the children's ward. An abused child was admitted and everyone assumed the abuser was the father, but it turned out to be the mother. After that I tried not to assume things about people.

However, it does behoove men to not be placed in any situation with children where they can be accused of something bad.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My limitations are that a 10 year old with one arm could beat me up. Old age is not kind.

Sorry to hear about your condition. 

As for me I feel quite confident at 75 to tell someone to stop if there are no other people close by. 

I could not just walk past without saying something. 

When I was serving in The RAF, living in married quarters, I witnessed a guy beating the s**t out of his wife at the bottom of the stairs.  The front door was open, so having seen it, I couldn't ignore it.  I went in and pulled him off, throwing him out the door.  He couldn't say much as I out-ranked him, but his wife was quite annoyed that I had intervened, and told me to F*** Off and mind my own business. 

So, would I intervene again!   If it was on private property, not a chance!  If it was in public, maybe, although not really recommended in Thailand. 

Yes. As a postgrad student in the UK in the early 70's, I heard a woman screaming for help outside my window. It was just past midnight. I phoned the police, grabbed my nunchaku (fighting sticks linked by a chain) and went downstairs. Found a large well built man beating a female. When confronted, he let go of her and charged towards me, but I avoided his first rush without hitting him.

Didn't have to do anything further- just then a patrolman with a dog arrived and a patrol car screamed to a stop. He was drunk and swung at a policeman, but they quickly took him into custody. Very efficient. The woman was his girlfriend, she stayed behind after he was taken away.

Edited by Saya Alan
Initially wrote "wife"

Yes not in Thailand but in the U.K. sadly it happens all over the world the guy in question was kicking his lady while she was on the pavement I intervened by getting him in a chokehold he was sleeping on the pavement in no time it was outside a chip shop in Aldershot 

Only as a last resort.  Because you never know what can happen.  The woman that is being abused  could actually turn on you.  Which is not uncommon in any country. Or others could try to attack you.  
I

No normal person does that to his own wife, especially in public. I would not intervene if it's happening in my neighborhood (worse than that is the same building) where most people know who I am. I really don't want to be a "hero". Possibly a hero who will get in a serious trouble (if not a dead hero) and no one will care about. 

I'd like to say I would intervene, but after being here 30 years and seeing what I've seen, if you do it's not going to go well for you in the end. Thai males can be very vindictive and will "get you in the end". They look at it like it's not your business--especially with a female involved.

I knew a couple of farangs that had an issue with some Thai males; the Thais ending up waiting approx a year then beat the s**t out of the farangs. It was all over a "loss of face". Plus if you intervene you'll probably end up fighting with him and all his friends, not just him. 

10 hours ago, Saya Alan said:

Yes. As a postgrad student in the UK in the early 70's, I heard a woman screaming for help outside my window. It was just past midnight. I phoned the police, grabbed my nunchaku (fighting sticks linked by a chain) and went downstairs. Found a large well built man beating a female. When confronted, he let go of her and charged towards me, but I avoided his first rush without hitting him.

Didn't have to do anything further- just then a patrolman with a dog arrived and a patrol car screamed to a stop. He was drunk and swung at a policeman, but they quickly took him into custody. Very efficient. The woman was his girlfriend, she stayed behind after he was taken away.

You were lucky not to hit him. These days you'd be arrested for that, IMO.

Hmm, I have experience of this.

Many years ago, not in Thailand but in San Jose CA, I was in a mall parking lot people were gathering to watch some guy beating the cra&&&p outta this girl.

No one was doing anything, so idiot me decided it was time to pull him off.

I'm not a big guy, but he lost his balance as I pulled him off and he fell to the ground.

The next I know is the woman is wailing on ME, shouting "don't hurt him"

Then the  cops showed up, gave me a warning and sent me on my way.

Lesson learned, never intervene!!!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 1