Is border bounce by air to Laos and back to Bangkok airport dangerous?

Hi all! Long time forum stalker, first time poster. Thanks for all the good info so far, seriously. A beacon of light in an ocean of random websites.

My girlfriend and I have visas that expire on 27 April. Our plan was to fly to Laos, spend one night there, and then fly back to get another 30 days. However, when we expressed this on a FB group some people FREAKED OUT and said it was a terrible decision. They said DMK are hardasses and we might not be let back in. I have scoured the internet and even tried asking Bing's new AI ???? but I couldn't find any specific information on people doing border bounces by air both ways. We actually thought it was the safer option.

Does anyone have any experiences they could share, or know of someone who did it? Thanks in advance! Now that I'm a member, I will also be contributing where I can, although I don't have that much experience yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, calbts2 said:

If you are that scared I would advise instead coming back into Thailand over land via Nong Khai, and fly back to Bangkok from Udon Thani. The Laos land border entries are generally the most "hassle free" to get back into Thailand.

I believe there is direct bus service from Vientiane to Udon Thani.

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately we've already booked our tickets, and it's going to be thousands extra to book alternate transport back into Thailand. To add to that, our end destination is Chiang Mai, so if we want to catch our already booked flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai it also puts serious time constraints on our land travels back to Bangkok.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

How much total time have you spent in Thailand over the last year (especially as a tourist)? If 30 days on a visa exempt (possibly with the 30-day extension) is the full extent of your previous time in Thailand, stop worrying. Don Muang can be tough, but only on long stay tourists.

As always, thanks for the response! We have been here a total of 90 days on a tourist visa with one extension. We haven't done any previous border bounces.

Thanks! We do understand that the land border crossing would have been safer, but we have already bought and paid for everything. Changing now not only incurs extra costs, but also loses all the money already spent. Hoping there is someone who has used DMK to do an air border bounce recently who can share their experience.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

I was in a similar position to you, been in and out of Thailand twice, within the visa on demand dates, i.e. 2 x 45day, always left in good time. 

Went from DM to Saigon at the end of March for an overnight stay, flew back to DM the following morning with no problems with immigration, no questions, just presented Passport did the fingerprints and photo, quick look up and down, handed back stamped Passport and welcome to Thailand. 70 year old Englishman.

Ah wow, that is great to hear. Thank you very much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewishAsianTraveller said:

Thanks! We do understand that the land border crossing would have been safer, but we have already bought and paid for everything. Changing now not only incurs extra costs, but also loses all the money already spent. Hoping there is someone who has used DMK to do an air border bounce recently who can share their experience.

Sad to say, the experiences of other people is not as good an indication of your own prospects as you might think. So much depends on the individual immigration official. Also, your age, apparent level of affluence and other factors can play a part. That said, in your case, there ought not to be a problem just because you have not been in Thailand enough for officials to start profiling you as a long stay tourist.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Sad to say, the experiences of other people is not as good an indication of your own prospects as you might think. So much depends on the individual immigration official. Also, your age, apparent level of affluence and other factors can play a part. That said, in your case, there ought not to be a problem just because you have not been in Thailand enough for officials to start profiling you as a long stay tourist.

Yes, unfortunately we've heard this as well. It's a difficult decision to make, honestly. Of course, we can dress our best and we luckily don't look like hippies at all, but we are a young couple. Ugh, the stress. Just going back and forth in my mind regarding what to do. Thanks!

14 hours ago, calbts2 said:

If you are that scared I would advise instead coming back into Thailand over land via Nong Khai, and fly back to Bangkok from Udon Thani. The Laos land border entries are generally the most "hassle free" to get back into Thailand.

I believe there is direct bus service from Vientiane to Udon Thani.

Actually, the air crossings are relatively unlimited whereas Lao land crossings can only be done twice in a calendar year. Either way, make sure you have $35 for the arrival fee. It was the cheapest way to pay.

If you're looking for a nice bar and food overlooking the Mekong, Bor Pen Yang is a good place to go with a nice elevated view.

Edited by w94005m
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NewishAsianTraveller said:

Ah wow, that is great to hear. Thank you very much!

And if you need a visa to enter VN you can get it online, easy online application form, quite fast. When issued you get an approval by e.mail.

Print a copy, on arrival in Saigon/Hanoi go direct to the passport lines with your passport and printed approval letter. Time at passport desk 2 or 3 minutes. Pick up your luggage, good rate money changers alongside the luggage area.

Go outside and check some taxi rates to your destination. Taxis in VN can be rip off.  If you're staying overnight it would be worthwhile to ask your hotel to have a car service meet you at the airport with a sign.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, NewishAsianTraveller said:

Thanks, everyone! I think we're going to go through with it, have all our proofs in order and dress as neatly as we possibly can.

You will be fine with that history.

Worst you'd get is some questioning...(unlikely with a life history of 90 days in the country)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, sandyf said:

Yes there is but I wouldn't recommend it. When we went on the one from Nong Khai to Vientiane I had to plead with the woman on the bus to wait for my wife and her niece, they had gone through on day pass and there was huge queue, The woman from the bus spoke to security and took me back into immigration to find them, she pulled them out of the queue and took them to the desk.

When we got back to the bus our bags were out on the side, picked them up and got back on the bus.

If you get held up at all the bus will leave without you.

It would be safer to get the bus from Vientiane to the bridge, cross the bridge and then get a minibus, all depends on how busy things are.

Before Covid lock down, when my wife and I were doing a run to Savannakhet for my visa, the day permit office for locals was jammed as their systems were down. It took ages before we could get through the immigration queue and wait for the next bus. All in all, took about 5 hours to get across the border.

Last month I did the visa run solo and I used a local driver. I was in the hotel in Savannakhet about 20 minutes after I parked my truck at Mukdahan.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ifmu said:

First off

You read Facebook for info. Shame shame

Second 

You believe them.  

Easy now ifmu ????.
Surprisingly (or not) the answers the O/P received to their query on the visa advice group on F/B almost mirrored the advice here. 

Don Mueang AND Suvarnabhumi are two BAD airports to fly into with an extensive entry/stay history <- and 90 days here on tourist visa/extension is an extensive stay history (whether anyone believes it or not)

Also they're not fooling anyone at thai passport control with the "we went on vacation to Lao for xx days" line ???? Thai passport control will know exactly that they're just flying out and back to get a free entry stamp to further their stay here. This ain't the thailand it was pre-covid where people could live here on back-2-back visa exempt entries by air with little scrutiny stamping back in.

Also unless I misread the O/P and partner are in Chiang Mai, WHY would they fly to Vientiane?

They are 4 hours from TWO land borders where people can bounce out-n-back for a free visa exempt entry;

the Chiang Khong / Huay Xai border with Lao; where they can exit/re-enter for 1800baht (the cost of a Lao visa on arrival
OR
the Mae Sai / Tachileik border with Burma; where they can exit/re-enter for 500 baht (the cost of a Burma Entry Permit)

This whole debacle was started by them poorly choosing to bounce out and back BY AIR, and only seeking advice AFTER they made those bookings.

Now there is a chance they'll get right in (as it's hit or miss when they go to stamp in,
BUT
there is also a chance they'll get pulled aside and questioned, which is why people on the visa advice group said, have proof of onward travel in 30 days, proof of 20K baht or the equivalent in CASH< and proof of lodging, believe me if you're going to be hassled stamping back in at the airport THOSE are the things they're gonna ask about.

To me the "fly to vientiane by air, toss the return ticket, take a tuk-tuk to the Nong Khai border, cross by land, take one of the 2 free visa exempt entries by land they're allowed (also entering at the easiest land border crossing in the entire country), then going to Udon to make their way back to Chiang Mai by bus or air is the safest option. BUT I am of the mind you need to limit the exposure to being pulled aside and asked why you're living here on free stamps when stamping in.. 

I sincerely wish the O/P and their significant other good luck in their bounce by air..    

• Like 1

If you want to stop doing border runs and Immigration hassle, stop by https://thailand-success.solutions. Our Social Enterprise Cooperative can sponsor and endorse you for Smart T BOI visas, one year renewable, for 55KTHB. These visas come with many perks, for example, an authorization to work in your line of work. (Exempt of Work Permit). As an HR agency, our members can help you find jobs or gigs in various domains.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Easy now ifmu ????.
Surprisingly (or not) the answers the O/P received to their query on the visa advice group on F/B almost mirrored the advice here. 

Don Mueang AND Suvarnabhumi are two BAD airports to fly into with an extensive entry/stay history <- and 90 days here on tourist visa/extension is an extensive stay history (whether anyone believes it or not)

Also they're not fooling anyone at thai passport control with the "we went on vacation to Lao for xx days" line ???? Thai passport control will know exactly that they're just flying out and back to get a free entry stamp to further their stay here. This ain't the thailand it was pre-covid where people could live here on back-2-back visa exempt entries by air with little scrutiny stamping back in.

Also unless I misread the O/P and partner are in Chiang Mai, WHY would they fly to Vientiane?

They are 4 hours from TWO land borders where people can bounce out-n-back for a free visa exempt entry;

the Chiang Khong / Huay Xai border with Lao; where they can exit/re-enter for 1800baht (the cost of a Lao visa on arrival
OR
the Mae Sai / Tachileik border with Burma; where they can exit/re-enter for 500 baht (the cost of a Burma Entry Permit)

This whole debacle was started by them poorly choosing to bounce out and back BY AIR, and only seeking advice AFTER they made those bookings.

Now there is a chance they'll get right in (as it's hit or miss when they go to stamp in,
BUT
there is also a chance they'll get pulled aside and questioned, which is why people on the visa advice group said, have proof of onward travel in 30 days, proof of 20K baht or the equivalent in CASH< and proof of lodging, believe me if you're going to be hassled stamping back in at the airport THOSE are the things they're gonna ask about.

To me the "fly to vientiane by air, toss the return ticket, take a tuk-tuk to the Nong Khai border, cross by land, take one of the 2 free visa exempt entries by land they're allowed (also entering at the easiest land border crossing in the entire country), then going to Udon to make their way back to Chiang Mai by bus or air is the safest option. BUT I am of the mind you need to limit the exposure to being pulled aside and asked why you're living here on free stamps when stamping in.. 

I sincerely wish the O/P and their significant other good luck in their bounce by air..    

Tod, you really scared us with your response on FB! Your exact words were a bit rough and caused us quite a lot of anxiety! I do understand that you're trying to help and we GREATLY appreciate all the advice you've given to us and others, but you have to remember that for people who are new at this the way that things are said can have a severe impact (and send them to other forums looking for experiences to soothe their minds!). Although I guess that if we don't get let back in then your words will have been well chosen ???? Will let you know on FB when it's all over.

Edited by NewishAsianTraveller
better language

21 hours ago, w94005m said:

Actually, the air crossings are relatively unlimited whereas Lao land crossings can only be done twice in a calendar year. Either way, make sure you have $35 for the arrival fee. It was the cheapest way to pay.

If you're looking for a nice bar and food overlooking the Mekong, Bor Pen Yang is a good place to go with a nice elevated view.

Your first sentence is true although the arrival fee varies with nationality.

Your second sentence is not, since Bor Pen Yang is no longer open (sadly). Try Mekong Garage Bar.

• Like 1