Climate-sceptic accounts surge after Elon Musk’s Twitter takeover

onthedarkside

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

To all those claiming that man made climate change is a fact- if it was actually agreed on by all scientists there wouldn't be any dispute, but it's not, is it?

At this point there is virtually no dispute. But if your criterion means that if even one scientist out of thousands disagrees, then there is a valid ongoing dispute.And please don't chime in with how some lone scientist disagreed with everyone and they turned out to be right. That's like claiming that because someone won the lottery, it makes good financial sense to buy lottery tickets.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do tell? How many people on the planet and how many use twitter?

I don't use it at all, ergo it has zero influence over me, and I am part of society.

Just because you don't use Twitter that doesnt mean you aren't affected by it. Stories that are promulgated there can make their way to other media.

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Just because you don't use Twitter that doesnt mean you aren't affected by it. Stories that are promulgated there can make their way to other media.

To which I ignore as much as Twitter. I ignore all Social Media and Legacy / Corporate / Democratic operative media.

• Love It 1

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes that is what happens, but it's the lefties that were in control of all the media until Musk.

And they've been voting in the wokes, but now you're all crying because Musk doesn't care who posts what.

Which is why censorship by one side is wrong.

But allow everyone to post their nonsense and it all equals out.

Well, with your references to “wokes” and “crying lefties” and other jargon, you’ve lost me. I get my information, on climate change and other issues, from professional journalists, and if you’re equating information posted on Twitter with information posted by the New York Times or the BBC, I think you’re misleading yourself. There has always been a conservative media, but in the past it tended to follow the same journalistic standards as the liberal media; with some exceptions, that’s no longer the case. Don’t create a false equivalence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Menken said:

To which I ignore as much as Twitter. I ignore all Social Media and Legacy / Corporate / Democratic operative media.

Oh. So where do you get your news -- some 400-pound couch potato blogger who lives at his mother’s house? (One of Trump’s better lines, although I think he was talking about hackers, not bloggers.)

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Those terms were chosen to cast the widest possible net since those are the terms most widely used by denialists. He was actually trying to make sure that none were missed

But if it's  peer reviewed research  you want, here's a list of all I could  could find of those done in the last decade.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/8/2/024024

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0270467616634958

https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2021ERL....16j4030M

Let's just say that the aren't supportive of deniers stances.

If you like I can also share with you the stance of several leading scientific organizations on the issue.

Confirmed by another analysis of more recent papers

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac2966

"Our results confirm, as has been found in numerous other previous studies of this question, that there is no significant scientific debate among experts about whether or not climate change is human-caused. This issue has been comprehensively settled, and the reality of ACC is no more in contention among scientists than is plate tectonics or evolution. The tiny number of papers that have been published during our time period which disagree with this overwhelming scientific consensus have had no discernible impact, presumably because they do not provide any convincing evidence to refute the hypothesis that—in the words of IPCC AR5—'it is extremely likely that human influence has been the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century' [12], and, most recently in IPCC AR6—'it is unequivocal that human influence has warmed the atmosphere, ocean and land' [13]."

1 hour ago, Menken said:

Lol your question so loaded and biased.

Do I believe what was published in the Twitter files with the company documentation and quotes? Yes. The people involved and in question are denying none of it.

As Taibi or whatever his name is acknowledged, the laptop stuff was delayed by a day, and there was no evidence he'd seen of any govt involvement in the story

He also said this

Taibbi also noted that Twitter sometimes received requests from "connected actors" to delete tweets, with Twitter employees writing back, "handled." 

Taibbi wrote that requests came from "both parties," meaning Republicans and Democrats.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/twitter-files-matt-taibbi-bari-weiss-michael-shellenberger-elon-musk/

53 minutes ago, Menken said:

No!

I just want all sides to be able to state their perceptions of an issue.

Are you smart enough to taking information and process it yourself? If so, why can't you trust others to be able to do the same for themselves? How is it that I've made it through scores of years and it is only now when I perhaps the most wise that I am also the most questioned... Usually by ill-educated and far younger people that I have absolutely nothing in common with.

2+2=4 after that all else follows

I don't care what people think but when they claim facts in an effort to influence others without making a considered and coherent argument or providing links to evidence I believe they deserve heavy criticism. It's not as if their misinformation is just their personal opinion and isn't damaging to others. Not by a long shot.

2 hours ago, Menken said:

I just want all sides to be able to state their perceptions of an issue.

Are you smart enough to taking information and process it yourself? If so, why can't you trust others to be able to do the same for themselves? How is it that I've made it through scores of years and it is only now when I perhaps the most wise that I am also the most questioned... Usually by ill-educated and far younger people that I have absolutely nothing in common with.

Well, I’m glad that you consider yourself wise after “scores of years” (so you’re at least sixty? I’m sixty-five and likewise still feel confidence in my ability to sort through and synthesize information). But I would hesitate to be too critical of “far younger people,” whose intelligence and ability to process information is often discounted by their seniors who disagree with them.

I’m sure you’re quite right in your statement that you have nothing in common with these younger people. But what you have *least* in common with them is this: in all likelihood you’ll be gone in twenty or thirty years (?? sorry if I’m misrepresenting your age), while they’ll still be around for decades longer, living on a planet whose environment is rapidly changing. They’re likely to see the worst of it; you won’t. So I would put far more value in what these younger people have to say about the matter, because their perspective counts more than yours does.

Just some food for thought …

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yes that is what happens, but it's the lefties that were in control of all the media until Musk.

And they've been voting in the wokes, but now you're all crying because Musk doesn't care who posts what.

Which is why censorship by one side is wrong.

But allow everyone to post their nonsense and it all equals out.

Lefties control the media? You've obviously never read any Murdoch rag, or watched Fox News. Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity ring any bells?

It doesn't equal out when social media has 98% climate-denying cretins, and less than 2% people who actually respect science, facts, and evidence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So an organization funded by the climate alarmist billionaire Bill Gates, one of the richest men on the planet has one of their staff create their own bespoke algorithm to conclude that 99.9% of people agree with Bill Gates.

I mean, who could possibly argue with that? ????

You’d first have to demonstrate the truth of your implied conspiracy.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

So an organization funded by the climate alarmist billionaire Bill Gates, one of the richest men on the planet has one of their staff create their own bespoke algorithm to conclude that 99.9% of people agree with Bill Gates.

I mean, who could possibly argue with that? ????

For one thing the methods were open and transparent. For another I supplied three studies that were peer-reviewed that had nothing to do with Bill Gates.

They confirm that climatologists overwhelmingly accept that anthropogenic climate change is real.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Perhaps, given the topic of discussion, we should be asking who’s funding the anthropomorphic climate change deniers.

The obvious suspect would be the fossil fuel industry. There's a lot of money at stake.

It's interesting the insurance industry is taking no notice of social media. If one lives on any coast or is more at risk of bushfires and storms, premiums in those areas have been rising progressively. It is now impossible to get insurance in particularly vulnerable areas.

Edited by Lacessit

Latest news is Fox will have to pay Dominion nearly  790 million ( USD ) for publishing lies about the 2020 election. It's not the end of Fox's woes, Smarmatic is suing them for 2.6 billion, same complaint. Murdoch has been a climate denier for a long time as well.

It's a pity the same can't be done with the climate deniers on social media, but then they are so dumb they probably don't have two 1 baht coins to rub together.

• Like 1