Are there any 'normal' farangs living in Thailand?

bob smith

On 4/22/2023 at 5:53 PM, rabang said:

I am not American but I understand that it is expensive and time consuming to travel abroad from the US, especially if you don't live in the southern states. In the north there is Canada but that's it.

A valid comparison for Europeans would be to ask if they have travelled outside of Europe.

I am from the UK but I have lived and worked in France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Gibraltar, not to mention around 30 od other countries across the world.

Those 5 countries I have mentioned have different attitudes, food, culture and even languages from each other. Even in the UK there are many regional differences from north to south, and east to west.

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2023 at 1:54 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Surely you would agree that the difference between Germany and Montenegro is a lot more than Alabama to Kansas though they are a similar distance apart. Dont even talk about Australia where Perth to Melbourne is double the distance but people are pretty much the same

Something like Alaska to Florida/Keys or Hawaii, or NYC to Yellowstone Nat Park.  Want mountain, deserts, anything in between.  That's not diverse enough.  

Music, Art, Plays, too many theme parks.

Not diverse enough, plenty of munchies:

Russian neighborhood for some borsch

Cubans for some Salsa and Cuban sandwich & coffee

Mexican ... plenty of

Real cowboys on horse vs Silicon yuppies in porches, to the Amish in horse buggies.

Only 500+ yrs old, but plenty of history.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am from the UK but I have lived and worked in France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Gibraltar, not to mention around 30 od other countries across the world.

Those 5 countries I have mentioned have different attitudes, food, culture and even languages from each other. Even in the UK there are many regional differences from north to south, and east to west.

How did you manage to work in 35 countries?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, bignok said:

How did you manage to work in 35 countries?

25 years with the RAF, a few years in the UK and then 3 years in the UK and 7 years offshore with Motorola international building mobile phone systems. I followed that by 10 years work as a contractor doing the same thing.

The biggest problem I found was when I stayed in an international chain of hotels, waking up and wondering which country I was in. The rooms were decorated the same.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

25 years with the RAF, a few years in the UK and then 3 years in the UK and 7 years offshore with Motorola international building mobile phone systems. I followed that by 10 years work as a contractor doing the same thing.

The biggest problem I found was when I stayed in an international chain of hotels, waking up and wondering which country I was in. The rooms were decorated the same.

Surely there must be some kind of an app for that problem nowadays.

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have a similar problem when I wake up and wonder where I am, but I think that has more to do with old age than travel. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, rabang said:

Surely there must be some kind of an app for that problem nowadays.

And how about the physical side of being onsite to do the actual work?

Other than that I have no idea as I retired 13 years ago.

Somebody has to decide where to put a cell site. Somebody has to go out and do a physical site survey, somebody has to contact the owner of the site and sign a contract, somebody has to build the site, somebody has to commission the site and its links, somebody has to climb the tower to run the feeder cables to the antennas. Somebody has to ensure that the site frequencies don't interfere with anybody else in the vicinity, especially airports, hospitals, emergency services etc.

Mobile sites don't build themselves. Before it comes on air and working can take 2 or 3 months, perhaps more if no decent site is available.

Apps are fine IF everything is there and connected up but are useless before that point.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

And how about the physical side of being onsite to do the actual work?

Other than that I have no idea as I retired 13 years ago.

Somebody has to decide where to put a cell site. Somebody has to go out and do a physical site survey, somebody has to contact the owner of the site and sign a contract, somebody has to build the site, somebody has to commission the site and its links, somebody has to climb the tower to run the feeder cables to the antennas. Somebody has to ensure that the site frequencies don't interfere with anybody else in the vicinity, especially airports, hospitals, emergency services etc.

Mobile sites don't build themselves. Before it comes on air and working can take 2 or 3 months, perhaps more if no decent site is available.

Apps are fine IF everything is there and connected up but are useless before that point.

I was trying to be funny (not an easy task, I know). The problem I was referring to:

waking up and wondering which country I was in. The rooms were decorated the same.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 5:17 AM, Lacessit said:

Rubbish. Ask any Bangkok Thai what they think of dark-skinned Isaan people.

I think its a mix of the above.  My Thai (Isann) GF dislikes, all equally, Chinese, Indian and black people.

Don't think she expressed a reason why she disliked black people, but Chinese for spitting and poor matters, rude etc, Indian for being cheapskates and always trying to barter - and dirty! 

I did take her to her first Indian restaurant, she did quite like the food, but claimed she had an upset tummy next day, so will never eat that food again.

Oh - and she was previous a tour guide for chinese people, so she has her reasons for disliking them are from experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2023 at 4:46 PM, bignok said:

Lots to do

Train rides

Caving

Motorbiking

Bike riding

Kayaking

Diving

Mountain hikes

Temples galore

Golf

Fishing

The weather is great apart from the smoke season up north

Well I can't comment on everything on that list but some examples:

Train rides - Thai trains are not for fun.

Bike riding - in 35 C / 100 F temperatures? With the pollution included? I think I'll pass.

Motorbiking - On Thailand's death roads?

Temples - Seen one, seen them all.

Golf - Yeah, maybe when I'm 70.

I could list a bunch of things not available or pleasant to do in Thailand.

Of course Thailand offers things to do to fill one's time but are there better alternatives out there?

2 hours ago, sharksy said:

I think its a mix of the above.  My Thai (Isann) GF dislikes, all equally, Chinese, Indian and black people.

Don't think she expressed a reason why she disliked black people, but Chinese for spitting and poor matters, rude etc, Indian for being cheapskates and always trying to barter - and dirty! 

I did take her to her first Indian restaurant, she did quite like the food, but claimed she had an upset tummy next day, so will never eat that food again.

Oh - and she was previous a tour guide for chinese people, so she has her reasons for disliking them are from experience.

We all tend to be shaped by our life experiences. Personally, I detest Arabs, IME possibly the most work-shy racial group on the planet.

A lot of men of my father's generation hated the Japanese, based on what happened to WWII prisoners. When I worked with Japanese, I found them to be congenial company, and hard-working. Nowadays, the Koreans call them lazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rabang said:

Speak for yourself. I just did the ordinary train trip from Thonburi to Wang Pho in Kanchanaburi. About five hours each way and hot AF but I had a great time. 

And we saw the chaang at the heffelump sanctuary ????

20230406_075746.jpg

33 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Speak for yourself. I just did the ordinary train trip from Thonburi to Wang Pho in Kanchanaburi. About five hours each way and hot AF but I had a great time. 

And we saw the chaang at the heffelump sanctuary ????

20230406_075746.jpg

The ride around Yangon in a train travelling at walking pace is very enjoyable too, about 5 hours. Food vendors getting on and off at each stop.

burma40.jpg

3 hours ago, rabang said:

Bike riding - in 35 C / 100 F temperatures? With the pollution included? I think I'll pass.

Of course Thailand offers things to do to fill one's time but are there better alternatives out there?

Ok don't do any fun things

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

We all tend to be shaped by our life experiences. Personally, I detest Arabs, IME possibly the most work-shy racial group on the planet.

A lot of men of my father's generation hated the Japanese, based on what happened to WWII prisoners. When I worked with Japanese, I found them to be congenial company, and hard-working. Nowadays, the Koreans call them lazy.

I find it confusing that the so called refugees from the Middle East seem to spend all their days in cafes in big all male groups.

How come I don't see for example East Asians or Eastern Europeans doing it?

Edited by rabang

3 hours ago, rabang said:

Unless you can say you have seen the White Temple, Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan, the Chiang Saen Skywalk, Baan Dum, Phu Chi Fa and Chiang Mai Erotic Gardens, you've been nowhere.

I have been riding a scooter on Thai roads for 12 years now. Defensive driving and threat awareness, no accidents.

Please do not take up golf at 70. You will only waste money on equipment far beyond any residual ability you have, plus lost golf balls. You will also irritate any golfers playing behind you.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rabang said:

I find it confusing that the so called refugees from the Middle East seem to spend all their days in cafes in big all male groups.

How come I don't see for example East Asians or Eastern Europeans doing it?

Middle Eastern culture is highly patriarchal, women tend to be segregated at home. Unless I have misunderstood your use of the term refugees.

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Unless you can say you have seen the White Temple, Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan, the Chiang Saen Skywalk, Baan Dum, Phu Chi Fa and Chiang Mai Erotic Gardens, you've been nowhere.

I have been riding a scooter on Thai roads for 12 years now. Defensive driving and threat awareness, no accidents.

Please do not take up golf at 70. You will only waste money on equipment far beyond any residual ability you have, plus lost golf balls. You will also irritate any golfers playing behind you.

Agree, as so many seem to go from one barstool / expat tourist ghetto to the next  in another city, province, and think they are seeing TH.

Been around the country more than a few times, and still find something of interest to peek out.  Whether nature or man made.  

I hear the rumblings of rainy season kicking in today, so we'll be O&A ourselves shortly.  Have a Nong Bua Lamphu trip (family thing) lined up, along with Chiang Mai/Rai, then our usual Southern coasts loop, E to W, and all points in between, though giving the bottom Muzzy provinces a pass.  

On 4/18/2023 at 4:31 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

You are getting 7/11's with Tesco Lotuses .

They say "Hello Welcome" at Tesco lotuses and not 7/11's

Maybe so at the Lotuss near you.

The nearest store to me the staff totally ignore the customers and any reaction you feel like you are a 100% nuisance.

They unpack incoming stock in the area where customers make 3 lines to pay for their purchases. if the customers is in their way you get told so.

Asking 'where is xxx please?' gets ignored. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There are 4 major long train lines with many places to visit. I don't think each temple is the same at all, neither are the beaches or the food.

Golf is hard to learn above the age of 25.

Edited by bignok

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Agree, as so many seem to go from one barstool / expat tourist ghetto to the next  in another city, province, and think they are seeing TH.

Been around the country more than a few times, and still find something of interest to peek out.  Whether nature or man made.  

I hear the rumblings of rainy season kicking in today, so we'll be O&A ourselves shortly.  Have a Nong Bua Lamphu trip (family thing) lined up, along with Chiang Mai/Rai, then our usual Southern coasts loop, E to W, and all points in between, though giving the bottom Muzzy provinces a pass.  

Furthest south I have been is Krabi, I have no desire to get tangled up in religious feuds.

The Udon Thani - Loei - Phetchabun drive is a good one, although it beats me why there is no road direct from Loei to Uttaradit.

Coming into Udon Thani from Kon Kaen, there is a large meeting hall built by villagers to thank a holy man for ridding them of the tigers, who were eating their chickens. 

It has a wooden floor, which is polished daily by volunteers using coconut husks.

When I walked on it barefoot, it was an exquisite feeling, as if I was walking on the finest silk.

That's what I really enjoy about Thailand, it is a treasure house of unusual sights and experiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bignok said:

There are 4 major long train lines with many places to visit. I don't think each temple is the same at all, neither are the beaches or the food.

Golf is hard to learn above the age of 25.

It is almost unheard of for a golfer to play off scratch, unless they start playing before they are 13-15 yo.

Less than 0.5% of golfers are capable of shooting less than par. Less than 0.0009% of golfers are able to break their age.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Furthest south I have been is Krabi, I have no desire to get tangled up in religious feuds.

The Udon Thani - Loei - Phetchabun drive is a good one, although it beats me why there is no road direct from Loei to Uttaradit.

Coming into Udon Thani from Kon Kaen, there is a large meeting hall built by villagers to thank a holy man for ridding them of the tigers, who were eating their chickens. 

It has a wooden floor, which is polished daily by volunteers using coconut husks.

When I walked on it barefoot, it was an exquisite feeling, as if I was walking on the finest silk.

That's what I really enjoy about Thailand, it is a treasure house of unusual sights and experiences.

For us, not the religion, and actually enjoy part of the culture (food) that comes with it, but they still have an incident every now and then, and terrorist don't care who they target, Muzzys or Buddhist, and seem all are killed.   Do seem to realize targeting non Thai tourist would be a mistake, as few have even been injured, with few exceptions.

That does mean of course, way too many check points, or so I read, along with them being targets.   Would like to visit, as those that do, recommend the bottom 3 or 4 provinces.

We've been as far South as Phatthalung, entered top of Songkhla on East side, and Satun on the West side.

There's a few species of birds that don't make it too far North, that I wouldn't mind getting a few snapshots of.

"although it beats me why there is no road direct from Loei to Uttaradit."

Don't ya just hate it, when they don't tunnel through hills just for us ????

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

For us, not the religion, and actually enjoy part of the culture (food) that comes with it, but they still have an incident every now and then, and terrorist don't care who they target, Muzzys or Buddhist, and seem all are killed.   Do seem to realize targeting non Thai tourist would be a mistake, as few have even been injured, with few exceptions.

That does mean of course, way too many check points, or so I read, along with them being targets.   Would like to visit, as those that do, recommend the bottom 3 or 4 provinces.

We've been as far South as Phatthalung, entered top of Songkhla on East side, and Satun on the West side.

There's a few species of birds that don't make it too far North, that I wouldn't mind getting a few snapshots of.

"although it beats me why there is no road direct from Loei to Uttaradit."

Don't ya just hate it, when they don't tunnel through hills just for us ????

Phattalung is very interesting plus Songkhla is ok. Nakhon Si Thammarat is good. Krabi has been ruined by tourism. 

14 minutes ago, bignok said:

Phattalung is very interesting plus Songkhla is ok. Nakhon Si Thammarat is good. Krabi has been ruined by tourism

Only Ao Nang, which we only pass thru, if that.   PP, haven't been in 20 yrs, and from photos & vids of, no desire to return, aside from having a dog, so not happening just for that reason.