Thailand braces for scorching summer as El Nino brings climate change to forefront

webfact

Let's all panic. The record temperature in Thailand rose by 0.9C since 2016.

El Nino doesn't bring "climate change" to the forefront, it brings El Nino to the forefront. It's a cyclic climate variation that has nothing to do with climate change.

This is so much nonsense just to fill up the news space.

Just for interest, you can calculate when the sun is 90 degrees overhead, for the highest theoretical temperature of the year.

Pattaya it's on April 24, Bangkok on April 26.

http://suncalc.net/#/-26.117,28.1683,17/2021.06.01/07:23

In Thailand it's only about 4 months between the coldest and hottest months of the year... Dec to April

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Silly story. Ok if it was posted 6 wks ago.

Agree, but doubtful even then as it does usually stop being cold about February. But thanks, AN, for the warning; I shall bin the thermals and lay out the silk sarongs just in case.

Serious story idea: how about reporting instead that even by Thai standards, Thai people round my neighbourhood are moaning that this is way hotter than usual?

14 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It is hotter then usual. The cold season never came to Pattaya this year. Let's all pretend its got nothing to do with climate change.

I think you're the one that is pretending. There have been many years with hardly any cold weather in Pattaya. Nothing has changed. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. I always complain to my wife in years we don't get cold weather and I remember complaining as far back as 10 years about that.

Just now, JensenZ said:

I think you're the one that is pretending. There have been many years with hardly any cold weather in Pattaya. Nothing has changed. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. I always complain to my wife in years we don't get cold weather and I remember complaining as far back as 10 years about that.

Last year was cool for months I thought. This is the longest period I have ever run the aircon in Pattaya and I come from the same latitude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

It is hotter then usual. The cold season never came to Pattaya this year. Let's all pretend its got nothing to do with climate change.

We are on an el nino watch at the moment. Last year it was la nina, hence the wet weather. I can deal with hot weather, but not getting my house flooded, thanks. Having said that, global average temperatures have risen since the 50's, which just exacerbates hot temperatures. 

19 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Brace for a scorching summer. Well it's summer now. It's hot. I'm braced. Silly story. Ok if it was posted 6 wks ago.

It is spring is it not? Summer starts June doesn't it?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

No such thing as spring in Thailand. We live in the tropics. Hot season March to June. Wet season July to October. Cool season November to February.

Well it must be hot, I just read an article about monks getting into fights over seating at a funeral!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JensenZ said:

El Nino doesn't bring "climate change" to the forefront, it brings El Nino to the forefront. It's a cyclic climate variation that has nothing to do with climate change.

Just for interest, you can calculate when the sun is 90 degrees overhead, for the highest theoretical temperature of the year.

In Thailand it's only about 4 months between the coldest and hottest months of the year... Dec to April

Jen..very accurate information for a change.The Greta's in the world are f'd up.How many predictions of climate disaster over the years have come to fruition? None.I've experienced the effects of El Nino on the BC west coast decades ago.It upsets certain patterns and then goes away.You want a laugh? Listen to an Al Gore speech. You'll piss yourself on hearing such a pile of bull<deleted>e.The Canadian carbon tax does not and will not reduce anything except the $ in your wallet.

10 hours ago, JensenZ said:

What?? We all know climate has been changing for millions of years, learned that in grade school. Tell me something I don’t already know. 

• Confused 1

On 4/18/2023 at 4:32 PM, JensenZ said:

Difficult to get your head round it but this actually happens twice as the sun passes directly overhead twice in countries within the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. Once around the Spring equinox and once around the Autumn equinox. I dont know why the Spring equinox zenith is hotter than the Autumn in Thailand. Must be other climactic factors involved like humidity in Spring and the rain in the Autumn.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Difficult to get your head round it but this actually happens twice as the sun passes directly overhead twice in countries within the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. Once around the Spring equinox and once around the Autumn equinox. I dont know why the Spring equinox zenith is hotter than the Autumn in Thailand. Must be other climactic factors involved like humidity in Spring and the rain in the Autumn.

I stand corrected. You are correct, the sun is directly overhead twice a year between Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn... so in Pattaya, the first day is April 24 and then next would be around October 24 yet December is the coolest month.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I stand corrected. You are correct, the sun is directly overhead twice a year between Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn... so in Pattaya, the first day is April 24 and then next would be around October 24 yet December is the coolest month.

A correction to this earlier info...

The sun is directly overhead in Pattaya Central on April 24 (13:14) and again on August 19 (13:20). The lowest elevation is on December 21 (13:15) @53.63 degrees, which corresponds well with December being the coolest month.

What's going on in August I'm not sure. It's probably cooler than April due to more cloudy days and the start of the wet season. There isn't much variation in max temperatures from April to October though - always hot. It's either hot or hotter LOL

It was calculated from this website:

https://www.sunearthtools.com/dp/tools/pos_sun.php?lang=en#annual

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2023 at 12:04 AM, DavisH said:

We are on an el nino watch at the moment. Last year it was la nina, hence the wet weather. I can deal with hot weather, but not getting my house flooded, thanks. Having said that, global average temperatures have risen since the 50's, which just exacerbates hot temperatures. 

Agree. A string of 39 to 40 days is much better than having my house under water for three months as it was back in 2011.