Safety issues in Thailand?

Schnicnac

In the past months there is all kinds of safety related issues in Thailand in the news that at least I come across, be it the tragic nong bua lamphu massacre, trafficking of people to underground call centers (Myanmar border), the murdering of a Chinese student, the recent shooting in Phetchaburi, today the kidnapping of a business man from his condo in Bangkok...

While these are isolated cases, yet can't help being under the impression that there are some significant public safety issues that just seems to compound in amount and frequency?

This isn't further helped with the high amount of gun ownership...

What is your take/ feel about this and how do you deal with it, especially those with family/ kids?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Schnicnac said:

What is your take/ feel about this and how do you deal with it, especially those with family/ kids?

All the issues are Asian on Asian, I'm not Asian so I don't worry.

Don't think there are any triads targeting retired poor male Brit scientists.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Biggest risk is riding a motorbike or similar, second biggest risk is driving of any kind.

Third biggest risk is behaving like you might back home, loosing your temper, shouting, being aggressive or abusive, not treating others with respect, can all have serious consequences (and you wont see it coming).

Street crime, muggings etc....not an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WilliamSmits said:

The most risk you run here are related to traffic or stray dogs.

(unless you get drunk at 4am and pick a fight or refuse to pay your bill)

Stray dogs now? When did you hear about a tourist killed by a stray dog? 

Motorbike accident is the most lethal in thailand. 

13 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I feel sorry for OP lol, imagine you worried of safety outside traffic in TH

As mentioned, its an accumulation of events over the past months that triggered this question and interest in feedback from other fellows here ????

• Sad 1

Nowhere in the world is 100% safe if one is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I am not scared of anything!

Even very bad driving in Thailand has me having seen only one accident actually happen in more than twenty years and that didn't involve me or my bike or my car!

On 4/18/2023 at 12:46 PM, Schnicnac said:

I feel perfectly safe, what happens to others who are lets say in with the wrong sort is their business not mine.

I don't have anyone wanting to do anything to me or my family.

Keep your nose out of trouble and you won't find trouble.

Stay off of pedestrian crossings.

Edited by hotchilli

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Even very bad driving in Thailand has me having seen only one accident actually happen in more than twenty years and that didn't involve me or my bike or my car!

I'll take your word for that, although I find it hard to believe. I live on a long straight road and during my eight or nine years in the house there have been at least 20 accidents within 500 metres. I've lost count now. Cars and lorries in the ditch, death and amputations, one person in a long-term coma. My sister-in-law was killed on her bike, another sister-in-law killed a woman on a bike who crossed a main road without looking, a brother-in-law ended upside down in a ditch inside a van he was a passenger in, another brother-in-law now had metal rods in a leg after he was hit from behind while waiting to do a right turn on his bike. I would bet all I have that there is not one family in Thailand who doesn't know someone who has been killed or injured on he road. Apart from the massive road death total, a million - a million - people are injured on Thai roads every year.

Message to the OP:

Don't make a Thai lose face. Ever. It can and does lead to death, even over the smallest thing. You might know you are right and they are wrong, and they might know it too but would never, ever admit it. Face is the most important thing in life and society to a Thai, more even than money. And that is really saying something.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'll take your word for that, although I find it hard to believe. I live on a long straight road and during my eight or nine years in the house there have been at least 20 accidents within 500 metres. I've lost count now. Cars and lorries in the ditch, death and amputations, one person in a long-term coma. My sister-in-law was killed on her bike, another sister-in-law killed a woman on a bike who crossed a main road without looking, a brother-in-law ended upside down in a ditch inside a van he was a passenger in, another brother-in-law now had metal rods in a leg after he was hit from behind while waiting to do a right turn on his bike. I would bet all I have that there is not one family in Thailand who doesn't know someone who has been killed or injured on he road. Apart from the massive road death total, a million - a million - people are injured on Thai roads every year.

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What I have written is absolutely correct. I have seen the aftermath of accidents - quite a few - but I didn't witness anything myself which is my main point.

In the overall scheme of things there are trillions of precise points where accidents can happen and still I have to be there at a precise time to see anything actually happen and only once - last year in fact; a motorbike crashing into a car.

2 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

What I have written is absolutely correct. I have seen the aftermath of accidents - quite a few - but I didn't witness anything myself which is my main point.

In the overall scheme of things there are trillions of precise points where accidents can happen and still I have to be there at a precise time to see anything actually happen and only once - last year in fact; a motorbike crashing into a car.

You don't need to see an accident happen to know the roads are dangerous. Seeing the aftermath, as you have, might provide a clue that they are.

32 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You don't need to see an accident happen to know the roads are dangerous. Seeing the aftermath, as you have, might provide a clue that they are.

33 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Roads are not dangerous - drivers are. My points remain valid in my first post and in my response to your comment. In addition, I have never had an accident myself either in my car or, on my bicycle for the last 25,000 kms. I KNOW there are lots of accidents all over the place, I read about them and I have commented many times on this forum.