Finnish man accused by neighbours of insulting Thai people

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I don't think we can assimilate; we will always be foreigners to the locals.

Doesn't matter if you are their teacher, husband, boss, neighbor, a monk etc. etc.

I don't think it even matters if you aquire Thai citizenship.

Even mixed race Thais are not viewed as actual Thais by most of the population.

I do not want to assimilate and I do not want to be Thai .

I want to remain a foreigner .

I do not have the ability to be Thai , being able to smile at everything 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, JoeW said:

If you read the whole article, you kind of understand why this happened. Same would happen in the US, in Europe or in any other Asian country.

"Same would happen in the US, in Europe or in any other Asian country."

No it wouldn't and if it did, the people who committed the assault would be arrested and charged. Incomers to the UK are whinging and insulting us all the time, take that awful "Dr" Shola for one. However, she's still in one piece, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Stocky said:

I'm not surprised they beat the crap out of him. You reap what you sow.

Nor am I, but in a civilised society, you have to show restraint. Same with club bouncers who beat the crap out of awkward customers, when they should just restrain and show them the door.

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Drinking tends to bring out your true nature. Inhibitions drop off, and kind people get sweeter, and obnoxious people get nastier. The Finn would appear to fit into the latter category, and in addition it sounds like he was constipated, and having a bad day. He likely said some very nasty stuff, and likely said it to someone who had heard it before, and was not in the mood for his disgraceful nonsense. He got what he needed. Only the wife, who has the bad fortune to be stuck with this louse, cannot accept reality. 

Thais are very reactive. If you put out kindness and good energy, you get it back in spades. But, if you are an ugly person with hatred and venom in your heart, woe is you. 

Maybe i am just lucky but i have never had any serious type of confrontation with any Thai person after decades here living in rural areas and in cities...but then I do try very hard to be nice and not go batshxt crazy if some trivial thing doesn't turn out how I think it should....it is just so much easier to walk away...if money is involved it is usually an insignificant amount (like the finns 10 baht tantrum).....perhaps people who don't understand that would be better off staying home, not getting drunk, and not putting yourself into any situation that doesn't seem quite right.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Not really. I read it. It does not explain much. There is some background here that is not being touched upon. That is for sure. Groups of Thais just don't attack random people. 

Laughing Lou doesn't do explanations.....

• Haha 1

I smile at people just about al the time. Makes me happy knowing that I wear a smile. People smile back at me, and this all adds to my pleasure in enjoying life, in any circumstances.

But this story makes me conclude that if the people here were able to hear the small voice in my head talking about them, I would be dead by now.....

• Thumbs Up 1

He likely said some very nasty stuff, and likely said it to someone who had heard it before, and was not in the mood for his disgraceful nonsense.

It took a lot of imagination to write this, didn't it?

He got what he needed.

Truly a vile thing to say. Victim blaming at its best.

Only the wife, who has the bad fortune to be stuck with this louse, cannot accept reality. 

Bad fortune? She is likely with him as she hasn't met a better suitor yet.

Though, she has the decency to know that he didn't deserve a gang beating, unlike others.

I suppose you'd applaud a gang rape, or is that not popular in the colosseum at the moment?

Edited by 2009
  • Confused 1

I think on a certain level, we all have some responsibility to be decent human beings and do our best to contribute to our community, in whatever way it is possible. If, on the other hand, you put out nothing but garbage and ugly energy, from time to time you are going to get a load of garbage on your face. Hence, the story of the ugly Finn. 

16 hours ago, bogs smith said:

this kind of thing is an all too common occurrence here sadly, especially in the tourist hot spots.

many local thais about who detest farang.

It's really down to a drunk farang acting badly. 

Drunks are usually unruly, belligerent, and just a pain in the a**.

Next time get the wife to buy the alcohol. 

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, robblok said:

It lowers inhibitions so it shows how someone truly is. Most of dont change to much. Some just are good to hide the ... they are and lose it when they drink

What makes you think that inhibitions are not part of how someone truly is?  I don't think you understand what "truly" means.

"We've put a chemical into this person's brain which drastically changes how they think and behave.  This will show us how they truly are." This is an extremely illogical and paradoxical premise.

Alcohol shows you only what someone is like when they have consumed alcohol.  There is nothing "true" about this as it is not a normal state.  That's why it's called intoxication.

Alcohol also does more than lower inhibitions.

The immediate effects of alcohol on the brain are due to its influence on the organ’s communication and information-processing pathways. Unfortunately, drinking too heavily or too rapidly can result in several adverse mental effects, such as confusion, impaired motor coordination, and declined decision-making ability. Continuing drinking despite recognizing signs of this can lead to alcohol overdose, sometimes referred to as “alcohol poisoning.

Direct Effects of Alcohol. Alcohol may encourage aggression or violence by disrupting normal brain function. According to the disinhibition hypothesis, for example, alcohol weakens brain mechanisms that normally restrain impulsive behaviors, including inappropriate aggression (5). By impairing information processing, alcohol can also lead a person to misjudge social cues, thereby overreacting to a perceived threat (6). Simultaneously, a narrowing of attention may lead to an inaccurate assessment of the future risks of acting on an immediate violent impulse 

Just now, 2009 said:

It took a lot of imagination to write this, didn't it?

Truly a vile thing to say. Victim blaming at its best.

Bad fortune? She is likely with him as she hasn't met a better suitor yet.

Though, she has the decency to know that he didn't deserve a gang beating.

I suppose you'd applaud a gang rape, or is that not popular in the colosseum at the moment?

Your assumptions are infantile at best. Big difference between an ugly Finn getting back some of what he has likely been dishing out for years, and a gang rape. 

I run into guys like him, from time to time. They are like human dispensers of bad energy, and when they are drunk, they are at their worst. Very little sympathy, from this peanut gallery. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

He didn't get the memo that beer tax went up. 

I've certainly never known a bottle of beer to cost 70 baht in a mom n pop shop upcountry (or in Bangkok), or in 7eleven.

He got the farang price. He knew it.

He got a beating for opening his mouth.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pomchop said:

So how many on here immediately blamed the Thai without being bothered to read the complete story in the OP link? 

I would immediately blame the attackers because there is no excuse for violence, ever.

This was a typical 13 on 1 Thai attack, doesn't matter what the guy said, or his past.

If he wasn't hitting them, there was no reason to hit him.

I'm guessing his gf was the wife of one of the attacking Thais, and the other attackers were the Thai husbands friends and family.

Don't ever go to her village, especially if you're a part-time bf.

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

What makes you think that inhibitions are not part of how someone truly is?  I don't think you understand what "truly" means.

"We've put a chemical into this person's brain which drastically changes how they think and behave.  This will show us how they truly are." This is an extremely illogical and paradoxical premise.

Alcohol shows you only what someone is like when they have consumed alcohol.  There is nothing "true" about this as it is not a normal state.  That's why it's called intoxication.

Alcohol also does more than lower inhibitions.

You contradict yourself. Inhibitions disappear when drunk. It is that simple. Nice people become more jovial. Idiots, like the ugly Finn become more reptilian and obnoxious. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Your assumptions are infantile at best. Big difference between an ugly Finn getting back some of what he has likely been dishing out for years, and a gang rape. 

You are cheering someone being assaulted by a gang.

Do you have any idea how sick that is?

And you are literally making up reasons to try to justify it.

You are even making up the story that this Finn has a long history of offending these people before they finally choose to maul him.

Doesn't matter what kind of assault it is. It's not right.

Edited by 2009
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I run into guys like him, from time to time. They are like human dispensers of bad energy, and when they are drunk, they are at their worst. Very little sympathy, from this peanut gallery. 

A surprisingly ugly post from you.

There is no evidence to suggest the Finn did anything wrong at all.

Just lies from his attackers.

My local (village) bar wants 59bht for a large Leo.

The Finns local mom an pop shop wants 70bht = special Finn price.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, steven100 said:

most I would have said.  yes, they are not very nice,  so if they feel insulted that gives them the right to hit you with sticks and they can use a knife if need be.

You really feel that most Thai despise foreigners? What an odd existence you have in this country. I have seldom met even mild approbation from Thai people. But then again, I speak Thai, I understand the culture so I smile at people when I meet them and wai politely when required.

You also feel that Thai people aren't very nice? Perhaps this is why you approve of them being held under foot by the military, since you feel they deserve it? This is the best explanation so far about your slavish devotion to Lil' P.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

We just don't know. It would appear he was drunk. And it was likely he was not on his best behavior. I just don't see or hear of many random attacks on foreigners, by groups of Thais. Something about this smells fishy. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

We just don't know. It would appear he was drunk. And it was likely he was not on his best behavior. I just don't see or hear of many random attacks on foreigners, by groups of Thais. Something about this smells fishy. 

How do you know he was drunk?

Any CCTV, any mobile phone videos taken?

Thai villagers do random attacks all the time, usually to their own friends and family members.

It's in the news every day.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My local (village) bar wants 59bht for a large Leo.

The Finns local mom an pop shop wants 70bht = special Finn price.

You feel that there is "no evidence" yet have already judged the attacker's information as "lies"? I guess you were there?

And definitely, the difference between your village price and that of the Finnish fellow's is conclusive that this was the clear cause of the beatdown. You just can't beat ThaiVisa's Police Squad, why even bother with police when this incredible resource is available?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

I smile at people just about al the time. Makes me happy knowing that I wear a smile. People smile back at me, and this all adds to my pleasure in enjoying life, in any circumstances.

But this story makes me conclude that if the people here were able to hear the small voice in my head talking about them, I would be dead by now.....

And that explains the Thai mentality. They are very reactive. Often, what you get back is a reflection of what you put out, here. Most Thais are quite pleasant. But, not necessarily so if they are met with obnoxiousness. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

17 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I've certainly never known a bottle of beer to cost 70 baht in a mom n pop shop upcountry (or in Bangkok), or in 7eleven.

He got the farang price. He knew it.

He got a beating for opening his mouth.

2 ma&pa shops near me one put up their price months ago to 65b the other one from 60 to 65b just this month for Leo. but it also would depend on what beer he wanted and the location of the shop out in the sticks.