Thailand Releases Total Traffic Accident Results for Seven Deadly Days of Songkran

webfact

image.jpeg

By Adam Judd

Thailand – A total of 2,203 road accidents, with 2,208 injuries and 264 deaths, were reported by the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) for the Seven Days of Danger road safety campaign during Songkran (April 11th – April 17th).

On April 17th, there were 183 accidents with 202 injuries and 16 deaths. Most were caused by excessive speeding ( 45 percent).

About 80 percent of the accidents involved motorcycles. Most road accidents occurred on highways between 3:01 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/04/18/thailand-releases-total-traffic-accident-results-for-seven-deadly-days-of-songkran/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-04-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

with an average death toll of 44 day this is lower than normal... 7x 44 should be 308, so 264 is better than normal, although every life taken in traffic is 1 too much..Most accidents are not necessary, but only caused by drunk, irresponsible speeding, etc drivers....

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

The death toll was one less than last year’s 238

So far.  (There's usually a few victims who survive a few days not yet included the above figures.)

Just back from a 300 kms round to Bangkok to meet up with friends from UK.  One said he had not seen ONE cop during this 1st trip (& last) trip to Thailand: it took FIVE hours to travel 121 kms on the 7 motorway; probably due to dickhead speedsters lane-changing collisions.  I too saw the same number of cops throughout the full weekend.  I wonder how many tourists the disgraceful RTP dissuade annually from a return trip?

Edited by mikebell
extra thoughts.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

And once again I bring your attention that these road fatality numbers are only those who a) died at the scene or possibly b) died at the scene or died within a 24 hr period after the accident. Point b) was told to me by the head doctor at my local govt. hospital. Either way the numbers would be higher.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Just back from a 300 kms round to Bangkok to meet up with friends from UK.  One said he had not seen ONE cop during this 1st trip: it took FIVE hours to travel 121 kms on the 7 motorway; probably due to dickhead speedsters lane-changing collisions.  I too saw the same number of cops throughout the full weekend.  I wonder how many tourists the disgraceful RTP dissuade annually from a return trip?

Did you drive on one of the busiest days of the year or was that during the period itself? I've found the roads to the west/south of bkk a lot nicer to drive over Songkran, but I did not travel on the busiest days (I've done 800km since the mass exodus started and got my best fuel economy of the year). 

I also wonder why having no police on the road makes the RTP disgraceful in the eyes of tourists. Most tourists would have been partying, shopping, or chilling on a beach somewhere. I personally think there are too many uniforms around when I want to relax at tourist holiday destinations here. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Here are Songkran 2022 figures to show that despite police effort to control the outcomes

of the holiday death the numbers keep climbing:

More than 230 people died from traffic collisions over the Songkran holiday, authorities said.

According to the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM), 237 people died and 1,696 were injured from 1,720 traffic collisions between April 11 and 16, a period dubbed as “Seven Dangerous Days” by Thai media.

and Songkran 2021: The death toll was one less than last year’s 238 deaths and 2,116 injuries from more than 2,113 collisions.

What police efforts were these? Did you see any cop cars patrolling the roads and pulling drivers over? Did you see and motorcycle cops doing the same? No they sat round at roadside having a chat (and drinks?) playing on their phones. Give me a break.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On their own, these numbers are menaingless, even if totally accurate.  How many die on a "normal" day?  How does this week compare to all other weeks in the year.  Crucially, what is the total number of passenger miles travelled this week compared to other weeks - to give a "deaths per xxx km travelled" truer comparison.

PH

• Sad 1

Good or bad numbers? 

Nothing is changing because Thais leaders don't really understand the problem. 

I say setup more tents more people more overtime to sit and play with their phones Watch T. V.  declare not just 7 days but everyday 365 and the result will still be the same. ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Good or bad numbers? 

Nothing is changing because Thais leaders don't really understand the problem. 

I say setup more tents more people more overtime to sit and play with their phones Watch T. V.  declare not just 7 days but everyday 365 and the result will still be the same. ????

How big is the problem? 

Last time I looked at this, the numbers for KSI in Thailand were comparable to those in the UK, especially considering that a much larger proportion of km driven are on much less safe scooters rather than in a very safe passenger box.

PH

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

How big is the problem? 

Last time I looked at this, the numbers for KSI in Thailand were comparable to those in the UK, especially considering that a much larger proportion of km driven are on much less safe scooters rather than in a very safe passenger box.

PH

We are talking about Thailand UK has no relevance in the conversation.  There is no real comparison why people like you continue to make responses like this is mind boggling.

You like the Thai leaders don't have a clue move your comment to UK Driving ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

We are talking about Thailand UK has no relevance in the conversation.  There is no real comparison why people like you continue to make responses like this is mind boggling.

You like the Thai leaders don't have a clue move your comment to UK Driving ????

Comparig Thailand to other countries and their driving statistics is entirely relevent.  Get off your box.

PH

3 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Comparig Thailand to other countries and their driving statistics is entirely relevent.  Get off your box.

G

PH

It more get off your self serving box. Maybe you lack comprehension to the title and location. 

Stick to it or go Buffaloe!

11 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Not me that lacks comprehension. 

To determine whether Thailnd's driving statistics are good, bad, or indifferent, one has to compare with other countries.   Exactly the same as comparing Songkran statistics with those from other periods of the year to see if this period is any better, or worse, or just the same.  

You put your head in the sand if you wish; I will continue to look at a fuller picture.

PH

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2023 at 8:26 AM, alien365 said:

Did you drive on one of the busiest days of the year or was that during the period itself? I've found the roads to the west/south of bkk a lot nicer to drive over Songkran, but I did not travel on the busiest days (I've done 800km since the mass exodus started and got my best fuel economy of the year). 

I also wonder why having no police on the road makes the RTP disgraceful in the eyes of tourists. Most tourists would have been partying, shopping, or chilling on a beach somewhere. I personally think there are too many uniforms around when I want to relax at tourist holiday destinations here. 

After a FIVE hour journey to Laem Chabang not caused by congestion but by decades of RTP inaction, the afore-mentioned tourist will not be back.  He and his wife were en route to an expensive boat cruise around Thailand's islands.  They are precisely the sort of well-heeled tourists TAT are always seeking to attract.