Cat killing competition for children in New Zealand axed after backlash

Social Media

9 hours ago, xylophone said:

Not sure the idea to get kids killing feral cats was too bright, however there is nothing to stop a campaign getting underway which precludes kids from the hunt.

Problem with that is that adults would need to be paid, as it takes time and money to be a hunter.

4 minutes ago, Misty said:

Doesn't seem like a good game for children, however

I sort of agree with you, but if they have to make it a game to remove feral cats I can live with it.

When I was a kid children killing pests like rabbits was normal, and we didn't need a game or a prize to do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. IMO they already took over. Real men know to keep their heads down and say nothing in public about it.

I actually stand up and declare I'm a meat-eater... mostly at the veg counter... lol

• Sad 1

The competition itself is not cancelled, just that there is no longer a category for feral cats, which may still be shot but won't count towards competition points. 

The competition is a beloved community event and fundraiser for Rotherham School and pool, attracting more than 900 participants in 2022, 250 of which were in the junior category.

Juniors hunted animals including possums, ducks, hares, rabbits, rats and geese.

Feral cats have a major impact on native wildlife, and its introduction as a category was mostly met with praise by locals.

NZ Department of Conservation

The control techniques that we currently use to control feral cats are poisoning, trapping and shooting. Where cats are lethally controlled, DOC uses efficient and humane best-practice techniques and adheres to the Animal Welfare Act 1999.

1 hour ago, Patong2 said:

NZ is running out of money and has to use child labour to kill these feral cats?

How much would it cost for the NZ government to get rid of them?

This isn't a surprise as NZ has been unable to get rid of rabbits and possums for as long as I can recall, despite so-called "eradication programmes" being in place for yonks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1